OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the upgrade is definite, I have decided to continue it hear, rather than create a new build thread for it. so here we go:
This is my search to answer the question: what makes a mediocre reef and what makes a mediocre reefer? I ask this question because I seem to get average at most of my hobbies and I am not there yet. If you have feedback on mediocrity in reefing or the tank, let me know. nonsense is also accepted.

The tank is a 5-foot 120 gallon I got third hand from the book of faces.
IMG_20221028_175428913_HDR.jpg

It holds water (except for a small drip from one of the bulkheads), but was dirty. The leaves are my own.

It came with a trigger sump, a return pump I can not identify, and 120# of rock.

In it I will combine my 15 gallon cube with 2 black clowns, an orchid dotty back, and a tailspot blenny. along with the massive softy rock.
IMG_20221121_195356405_HDR (1).jpg

I will also add the contents of the 40 this thread was dedicated to.
- 75-90# of rock,
- many coral (a list may come, probably no though)
- a falco hawkfish, mandarin goby, purple firefish, springer damsel (other nonconfirmed fish because I haven't seen them in forever are sailfin blenny, foxface blenny)
- cuc: tuxedo urchin, nassarius snails, bumblebee snails...

Lights to start will be the xr15 G5 that is on the 40 now and the coralife bar that was on it. if (read: when) I need moar light I will look for another G5 or swap out to two 90 watt noopshychs.

flow will be from the secce return pump and two 1600 gph JBJ powerheads.

I have cleaned and replumbed (I learned that the plumbing setup is a bean animal) the tank. I will leak test again when I get it in place as that will also be how I start the filling. Filling will take days as I can get about 20 gallons of RO a day from my filter.

ATO will be a bucket unless I make a box that holds more and fits better.
No skimmer yet. I am running filter socks but want to swap out to fleece roller in time.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As the upgrade is definite, I have decided to continue it hear, rather than create a new build thread for it. so here we go:
This is my search to answer the question: what makes a mediocre reef and what makes a mediocre reefer? I ask this question because I seem to get average at most of my hobbies and I am not there yet. If you have feedback on mediocrity in reefing or the tank, let me know. nonsense is also accepted.

It holds water (except for a small drip from one of the bulkheads), but was dirty. The leaves are my own.

It came with a trigger sump, a return pump I can not identify, and 120# of rock.

In it I will combine my 15 gallon cube with 2 black clowns, an orchid dotty back, and a tailspot blenny. along with the massive softy rock.

- 75-90# of rock,
- a falco hawkfish, mandarin goby, purple firefish, springer damsel (other nonconfirmed fish because I haven't seen them in forever are sailfin blenny, foxface blenny)

Lights to start will be the xr15 G5 that is on the 40 now and the coralife bar that was on it. if (read: when) I need moar light I will look for another G5 or swap out to two 90 watt noopshychs.

I have cleaned and replumbed (I learned that the plumbing setup is a bean animal) the tank. I will leak test again when I get it in place as that will also be how I start the filling. Filling will take days as I can get about 20 gallons of RO a day from my filter.

No skimmer yet. I am running filter socks but want to swap out to fleece roller in time.
That looks like a great tank!

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lighting question: I fell down a rabbit hole last night.
2x - 3x Kessil a160
2x - 3x AI prime
ReefBreeders Photon V2
2x Noopsych (the big ones)
try to find one more XR15 g5 blue (or two pros) used.

Does anyone have experience with more than one of them? As stated above, the xr15 route allows me to avoid selling online, but the other options are about the same cost (net if I sell what I have).

It's about 24 inches to the sand bed so I need something that will punch that far. Also, I am in no rush at this point as I have a light that will work and another that may work. Also, also we are weeks away from getting it wet.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
2x - 3x Kessil a160
2x - 3x AI prime
ReefBreeders Photon V2

Does anyone have experience with more than one of them? As stated above, the xr15 route allows me to avoid selling online, but the other options are about the same cost (net if I sell what I have).

It's about 24 inches to the sand bed so I need something that will punch that far. Also, I am in no rush at this point as I have a light that will work and another that may work. Also, also we are weeks away from getting it wet.
So my 125 is 21" to the sand bed. I run two of the 140 watt Noops, 1 90 watt Noop, and 1 75 watt Noop. I could use more PAR from what I'm thinking but I run almost exclusively blue (white is 10%, red is 15%, and green is 25%, blue channels and UV are 100%). My tank is bright enough and the colors pop I just don't know that my PAR levels reach what I should be looking at for Acros and such.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 125 is 21" to the sand bed. I run two of the 140 watt Noops, 1 90 watt Noop, and 1 75 watt Noop. I could use more PAR from what I'm thinking but I run almost exclusively blue (white is 10%, red is 15%, and green is 25%, blue channels and UV are 100%). My tank is bright enough and the colors pop I just don't know that my PAR levels reach what I should be looking at for Acros and such.
I say now, but may change my tune, but I'm not too focused on acro needs at this time. If I can get my poci about 250 than I'd be happy.

But I trust I will change my thoughts the next time I'm buying at an sbb sale.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- 75-90# of rock,

Nice score!!! Looks like it was hardly used or very well taken care of.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence about that. I have everything I need, but I'm lazy.
lol I understand. It's way too easy for me to say do it before you fill it! You'd be dumb not to!!!! But I mean let's be realistic and understanding about the laziness of others. And I truly don't mean that sarcastically. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

You can always sand it while it's full if you have a powerful magnet cleaner. I bought a micro mesh sanding kit for mine...

I am curious how you plan to clean the inside when it is full. You really do need to ideally not be lazy in that regard. From someone with experience in scratching acrylic from laziness/tipsiness, heed my advice(maybe)!!! Kent Marine Pro II scraper(with the red scraper attachment) is fantastic for coralline. I don't recommend using any sort of acrylic safe pad over coralline. You may get micro scratches.

I use a Magnavore 4er to clean film algae off my acrylic. It works very well. The pads can be cleaned and reused many times if you're not lazy. Don't get too comfortable with it(this is when you scratch the crap out of your tank). If you go a similar route, just don't be LAZY and leave the magnet inside your tank. Most times I've scratched my tank, it's because a bajillion limpets and collonista snails gathered around my magnet cleaner. Take it out of the gdang tank!

That's it. You're on your own from here.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I understand. It's way too easy for me to say do it before you fill it! You'd be dumb not to!!!! But I mean let's be realistic and understanding about the laziness of others. And I truly don't mean that sarcastically. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

You can always sand it while it's full if you have a powerful magnet cleaner. I bought a micro mesh sanding kit for mine...

I am curious how you plan to clean the inside when it is full. You really do need to ideally not be lazy in that regard. From someone with experience in scratching acrylic from laziness/tipsiness, heed my advice(maybe)!!! Kent Marine Pro II scraper(with the red scraper attachment) is fantastic for coralline. I don't recommend using any sort of acrylic safe pad over coralline. You may get micro scratches.

I use a Magnavore 4er to clean film algae off my acrylic. It works very well. The pads can be cleaned and reused many times if you're not lazy. Don't get too comfortable with it(this is when you scratch the crap out of your tank). If you go a similar route, just don't be LAZY and leave the magnet inside your tank. Most times I've scratched my tank, it's because a bajillion limpets and collonista snails gathered around my magnet cleaner. Take it out of the gdang tank!

That's it. You're on your own from here.
Am I at risk of seeing the scratches when it's full? That may be enough for me to sand it when I leak test.

for scraping, I have 3d printed a scraper, I think it was intended to pull prints off the bed, or as an ice scraper, (I'm not sure) but I was going to try that. the one I have may be too flexible for the really tough stuff though. I also haven't solved the question of the rounded corners. The front two corners are rounded over rather than welded. I will also want a better long-term solution than a weekly wet shoulder. It might fall to printing a scraper with a magnet hole and a curve that matches the tank.

I have been cautious of magnets in the tank since @tbrown3589 had his crash.

Thanks for the advice; it's always welcome. I may not always take it, but I don't mind hearing it.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Am I at risk of seeing the scratches when it's full? That may be enough for me to sand it when I leak test.

for scraping, I have 3d printed a scraper, I think it was intended to pull prints off the bed, or as an ice scraper, (I'm not sure) but I was going to try that. the one I have may be too flexible for the really tough stuff though. I also haven't solved the question of the rounded corners. The front two corners are rounded over rather than welded. I will also want a better long-term solution than a weekly wet shoulder. It might fall to printing a scraper with a magnet hole and a curve that matches the tank.

Thanks for the advice; it's always welcome. I may not always take it, but I don't mind hearing it.
I have glass and see some of the scratches if I look from the correct angle and it catches the light.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will have to decide if the scratches are bad enough to fix before filling. As for the rounded corner, I would suggest using magic eraser pads. I should have mentioned these before. These are great if you have the room and mobility to go to town with them.

As far as getting wet, I got these gloves from a friend. I had never been an arm length glove guy, but it changes things. I wouldn't go back.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x - 3x Kessil a160
2x - 3x AI prime
ReefBreeders Photon V2

I vote reefbreeders. They are lower in cost, controllable and easily mountable. I went with "last years model" and saved a bit. 6 channels so you can control them independently. Only thing is mine don't play nice with my jaebo wavemakers. The wifi signals battle with each other sometimes. They also can be upgraded to work with an app or an apex.

Last edited:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw if you need a skimmer down the road let me know. I have a bubble magus curve 5 sitting around that I can send over.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote reefbreeders. They are lower in cost, controllable and easily mountable. I went with "last years model" and saved a bit. 6 channels so you can control them independently. Only thing is mine don't play nice with my jaebo wavemakers. The wifi signals battle with each other sometimes. They also can be upgraded to work with an app or an apex.
I was leaning that way too. Kessil and AI are the "bougie" option and xr15s are just easier because I already have one. But I could likely unload it through r2r as well.

I was liking the reefbreeders also because it is the only one that can act as another shelf during feeding. Because you deffinately want to put things on the light...

Fwiw if you need a skimmer down the road let me know. I have a bubble magus curve 5 sitting around that I can send over.
Oh, I will keep that in mind. I am pondering starting with one because there is a lot of die-off from the rock that came with the tank. I know I will want to rush stocking it.

OK so now I am not the only one who loves this game.
It's great! I usually win because my wife is not as naturally inclined to sabotage as I am. Pente and fluxx we are fairly well matched.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning that way too. Kessil and AI are the "bougie" option and xr15s are just easier because I already have one. But I could likely unload it through r2r as well.

I was liking the reefbreeders also because it is the only one that can act as another shelf during feeding. Because you deffinately want to put things on the light...
I love my reefbreeders, my new phone hates it though.

Speaking of putting things up there...
1670853646757.png

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- 75-90# of rock,

Tank is looking great so far!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back