The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Mar 11, 2019.

?
  1. Yes a little

115 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Yes a lot more

856 vote(s)
    83.8%
  3. No the well is dry

23 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. What is innovation?

27 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

When MH was the only lights the old timers had, do you think they could imagine the LED technology we have today? What makes you think we can fathom the light technology in ten years today?

Brad Miller likes this.

2. Tamberav

Tamberav Active Member

Pretty feasible but we dont have these yet somehow...

Automatic frozen fish food feeder.

A plug and play HD cam for Apex.

An Apex that is modern looking and not a bunch of giant bulky orange plastic and janky wires .... It's in the like early Nokia cell phone stage and not the sleek Iphone stage we have today.

ccombs and Brad Miller like this.
  3. homer1475

homer1475 Well-Known Member

Sorry had to really LOL at the "sleek iphone stage"(obviously a sheeple). Whats so sleek about a square or rectangle slab of glass? If an iphone is sleek, then my rather large slab of glass(tank) is uber sleek!

And the folks at Neptune did think it was modern, and sleek looking. Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion.

Honestly, I would like to see more accurate test kits that you can cross reference if something comes out weird.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    rkpetersen, Brad Miller and Tamberav like this.
  4. Tamberav

Tamberav Active Member

I have never owned a iPhone... I have a pixel currently. It was just a example as the Apex reminds me of the old plastic bulky Nokia phones that look like cordless phones and apple is popular.

I guess it reminds me of aqueon tanks with sloppy silicone and bracing vs UNS tanks? Whatever analogy works.

I own the new Apex and its ugly compared to other electronics. A slim sleek profile with less cables would be awesome. It feels worse than it looks...they can do better. The software at least is coming along nicely.

5. drernesto

drernesto Well-Known Member Platinum Sponsor

There’s Giesemann Phosphate and Tropic Marin nitrate

Lowell Lemon and Brad Miller like this.
  6. sghera64

sghera64 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be cool if the next big thing for the hobby was something that came from the hobby.

I know there is a lot of energy and enthusiasm for this hobby given the rapid and sustained expansion of the R2R community. So many vendors are now making great product demos and other contributions to the community FOR FREE (e.g. BRS has multiple series, Premium Aquatics does/posts product evals, Marine Depot has great "how-to" videos).

The concern I think the hobby can address is the non-hobbyists - - or the "reef keeper haters". Wouldn't it be great if more hobbyists created and posted YouTube videos showing a huge and overwhelming diversity of coral, fish and reef ecosystem success, sustainability and propagation?

Brad Miller likes this.
  7. RCS82

RCS82 Active Member

Might not be big enough to be a big thing or maybe it already exists but I would love to have a full spectrum dimmable, programmable led strip bar for supplementation. Something more than the same old actinic bar that could replace the typical double T5 retrofit with a reefbrite between them. Could be maybe 4" wide instead of the narrow 2" like what's out there now. Obviously would be more expensive but I would be willing to pay for something like a radion in a strip form factor. A reefbrite or similar is great but it's just blue, unless you add a daylight strip or any combo of strips. A controller like an apex is needed then to dim them. Just an idea and maybe it's not feasible but would love to have one strip, full spectrum multi channel with a controller like the kessil, to ramp up and down and tweak color.

Brad Miller likes this.
  8. jfree07

jfree07 Member

I always love seeing how this hobby continues to advance, it's amazing when you look where we are now and where we were 10 years back.

Brad Miller likes this.
  9. NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd Active Member

I skipped to the end so my apologies if it has already been said...but I’d love to see two things happen. 1. A series of probes that work with ONE system that reads ALL tank parameters in real time without the use of reagents. Call it magic if you want to but if you’re gonna dream, dream big.

2. An system that automates feeding frozen and/or live foods.
    Ultimately I like the idea of an endless supply of live food...properly timed release into the main display. This would be an ultimate win in my book.

Let’s make it happen cap’n!!

Brad Miller likes this.
  10. Mortie31

Mortie31 Valuable Member R2R Supporter UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor

I can’t find a UK stockist of Giesemann test kit, Hopefully by the time it’s on sale in the UK they will gave test kits available as well

Brad Miller likes this.
  11. AtlCPA

AtlCPA Active Member

more accurate and easy to use water testing. Like a trident machine in your house.

Brad Miller likes this.
  12. BellaCoop

BellaCoop Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

They have that. Call your LFS they tend to get it all done for cheap haha.

Brad Miller likes this.
  13. OrionN

OrionN Anemones R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

I do think that we have the capability of replication the natural condition of the ocean in term of temperature, light and chemistry, water movement. New innovations are going to be in the life science area. How to take better care for the animals we keep, captive sexual reproduction of these animals. What regulate the breeding behavior of these animals, and how the larvae settle, their first food etc....
    How to treat certain deathly diseases our animals get? These and and other similarly important questions are where the innovation of our hobby is going to be. In the future, I hope that Reefers as a group can help preserve and repopulate the wild species that is in decline in their natural habitat.

Brad Miller and FishLipz like this.
  14. JasonK84

JasonK84 I want more!!! R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Hanna needs to make a nitrate checker.

Brad Miller likes this.
  15. Thaxxx

Thaxxx Active Member

Years ago they were everywhere. I'm in Florida. I remember going to Tampa and hand picking my live rock out. People today are so worried about coral pest there is not much a a need any more. I get a kick out of the term "live rock" today. It just means it's been in your aquarium past the cycle period. Lol. Real love rock has so much life on it you had to wait until lights out with a flashlight to see all the life in it coming out to feed.

16. reefer wanna be

reefer wanna be Member

Got a question I have a 6 ft 125 gallon reef wanting to put better wavemakers on it I'm looking for suggestions thanks in advance

Brad Miller likes this.
  17. reefer wanna be

reefer wanna be Member

Got a question I have a 6 ft 125 gallon reef wanting to put better wavemakers on it I'm looking for suggestions thanks in advance

Brad Miller likes this.
  18. reefer wanna be

reefer wanna be Member

19. slewrock1

slewrock1 Active Member R2R Supporter

Without a doubt, BRS gets paid a lot of money by YouTube.

rkpetersen and Brad Miller like this.
  20. WetPets

WetPets Member R2R Supporter

I would like to see a higher quality heater.

ccombs and Brad Miller like this.
  21. WetPets

WetPets Member R2R Supporter

robosnail will do that

rkpetersen and Brad Miller like this.
  22. Robert Scott

Robert Scott Member

Ditto regarding the frozen food auto feeder.
    A "simple" ... "non scary" way of removing scratches from a coral filled acrylic tank.

Draft saved Draft deleted