The next BIG aquarium product! What would you like to see?

Is there much innovation left in the hobby?

• Yes a little

Votes: 115 11.3%
  • Yes a lot more

Votes: 856 83.8%
  • No the well is dry

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • What is innovation?

Votes: 27 2.6%

• Total voters

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty feasible but we dont have these yet somehow...

Automatic frozen fish food feeder.

A plug and play HD cam for Apex.

An Apex that is modern looking and not a bunch of giant bulky orange plastic and janky wires .... It's in the like early Nokia cell phone stage and not the sleek Iphone stage we have today.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex that is modern looking and not a bunch of giant bulky orange plastic and janky wires .... It's in the like early Nokia cell phone stage and not the sleek Iphone stage we have today.

Sorry had to really LOL at the "sleek iphone stage"(obviously a sheeple). Whats so sleek about a square or rectangle slab of glass? If an iphone is sleek, then my rather large slab of glass(tank) is uber sleek!

And the folks at Neptune did think it was modern, and sleek looking. Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion.

Honestly, I would like to see more accurate test kits that you can cross reference if something comes out weird.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry had to really LOL at the "sleek iphone stage"(obviously a sheeple). Whats so sleek about a square or rectangle slab of glass? If an iphone is sleek, then my rather large slab of glass(tank) is uber sleek!

And the folks at Neptune did think it was modern, and sleek looking. Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion.

Honestly, I would like to see more accurate test kits that you can cross reference is something comes out weird.

I have never owned a iPhone... I have a pixel currently. It was just a example as the Apex reminds me of the old plastic bulky Nokia phones that look like cordless phones and apple is popular.

I guess it reminds me of aqueon tanks with sloppy silicone and bracing vs UNS tanks? Whatever analogy works.

I own the new Apex and its ugly compared to other electronics. A slim sleek profile with less cables would be awesome. It feels worse than it looks...they can do better. The software at least is coming along nicely.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click bait title but I'm really curious to see what NEW type of product would you like to see come into the aquarium hobby. Maybe it's completely new, out of the box or maybe it's just something we already have but better. Maybe someone will see your idea and build it or make it better!

So if you could think it up or dream it up what would the next big product, tool, etc. be?

next big.jpg

fish image via ChristopherKriens

Wouldn't it be cool if the next big thing for the hobby was something that came from the hobby.

I know there is a lot of energy and enthusiasm for this hobby given the rapid and sustained expansion of the R2R community. So many vendors are now making great product demos and other contributions to the community FOR FREE (e.g. BRS has multiple series, Premium Aquatics does/posts product evals, Marine Depot has great "how-to" videos).

The concern I think the hobby can address is the non-hobbyists - - or the "reef keeper haters". Wouldn't it be great if more hobbyists created and posted YouTube videos showing a huge and overwhelming diversity of coral, fish and reef ecosystem success, sustainability and propagation?

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be big enough to be a big thing or maybe it already exists but I would love to have a full spectrum dimmable, programmable led strip bar for supplementation. Something more than the same old actinic bar that could replace the typical double T5 retrofit with a reefbrite between them. Could be maybe 4" wide instead of the narrow 2" like what's out there now. Obviously would be more expensive but I would be willing to pay for something like a radion in a strip form factor. A reefbrite or similar is great but it's just blue, unless you add a daylight strip or any combo of strips. A controller like an apex is needed then to dim them. Just an idea and maybe it's not feasible but would love to have one strip, full spectrum multi channel with a controller like the kessil, to ramp up and down and tweak color.

jfree07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always love seeing how this hobby continues to advance, it's amazing when you look where we are now and where we were 10 years back.

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skipped to the end so my apologies if it has already been said...but I’d love to see two things happen. 1. A series of probes that work with ONE system that reads ALL tank parameters in real time without the use of reagents. Call it magic if you want to but if you’re gonna dream, dream big.

2. An system that automates feeding frozen and/or live foods.
Ultimately I like the idea of an endless supply of live food...properly timed release into the main display. This would be an ultimate win in my book.

Let’s make it happen cap’n!!

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more accurate and easy to use water testing. Like a trident machine in your house.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this hobby is to survive long term, there needs to be much more innovation in areas of aquaculture and captive breeding. As far as tech innovation, there’s always room for making things cheaper, faster, more efficient and easier, but I don’t see any mind blowing revelations in reefkeeping tech. Water movement, light, filtration are all very capable as things stand now.
I do think that we have the capability of replication the natural condition of the ocean in term of temperature, light and chemistry, water movement. New innovations are going to be in the life science area. How to take better care for the animals we keep, captive sexual reproduction of these animals. What regulate the breeding behavior of these animals, and how the larvae settle, their first food etc....
How to treat certain deathly diseases our animals get? These and and other similarly important questions are where the innovation of our hobby is going to be. In the future, I hope that Reefers as a group can help preserve and repopulate the wild species that is in decline in their natural habitat.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is already available - TBS ships under water and meets this requirement both in what he ships and leased ocean to sustain it. It also is about the most environmental friendly solution out there. KP aquatics also ships similar product but not under water although it is also leased oceanic land and sustaining.
Years ago they were everywhere. I'm in Florida. I remember going to Tampa and hand picking my live rock out. People today are so worried about coral pest there is not much a a need any more. I get a kick out of the term "live rock" today. It just means it's been in your aquarium past the cycle period. Lol. Real love rock has so much life on it you had to wait until lights out with a flashlight to see all the life in it coming out to feed.

reefer wanna be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question I have a 6 ft 125 gallon reef wanting to put better wavemakers on it I'm looking for suggestions thanks in advance

reefer wanna be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question I have a 6 ft 125 gallon reef wanting to put better wavemakers on it I'm looking for suggestions thanks in advance

reefer wanna be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be cool if the next big thing for the hobby was something that came from the hobby.

I know there is a lot of energy and enthusiasm for this hobby given the rapid and sustained expansion of the R2R community. So many vendors are now making great product demos and other contributions to the community FOR FREE (e.g. BRS has multiple series, Premium Aquatics does/posts product evals, Marine Depot has great "how-to" videos).

The concern I think the hobby can address is the non-hobbyists - - or the "reef keeper haters". Wouldn't it be great if more hobbyists created and posted YouTube videos showing a huge and overwhelming diversity of coral, fish and reef ecosystem success, sustainability and propagation?

Without a doubt, BRS gets paid a lot of money by YouTube.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back