The Official: College Football Discussion Thread

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel so bad. I had been autocrossing during the day Saturday, so I was tired when I got home and I had to be back out at the track at 8am on Sunday. So with OSU down 2 scores with about 8 minutes left in the game I not only gave up on them, I deleted the recording from the DVR! I learned on Sunday at the autocross that OSU won... I feel so bad for giving up on them too early!

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pitt is trying to pull a Pitt in this game vs. ND

@Fin if you guys could keep doing you're thing in Death Valley today and put our destiny back in our hands, that would be great, TIA.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great ! Glad there is a college football thread here . I'm a Gator Fan. The Volunteers a close 2nd . During Season there is a great rivalry of fav teams & my Buddy's. Second after 1st kick off the friendly insults begin ! My Gators have done well this season barely.

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in shock. Never did I think they would be 6-1 at this point of the season - with this unbelievable schedule.

LSU3.JPG

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defensive battle in Ann arbor

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defensive battle in Ann arbor

I guess that's one way to look at it :p

I'm flipping currently as nothing really has my attention. Watching ISU trying to play spoiler for another Big12 playoff hopeful on FS1 is getting most of my attention atm.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offensive Juggernaut of the badgers has come to a screeching halt. The tide is rolling

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else think this targeting rule is a bit over-officiated? Intentional targeting with malice is one thing, but I think they need to rethink what is called and what the penalty will be.

Yesterday, in the second half of the LSU-MIss St game, Devin White, LSU's LB was called for targeting. 15 yards, plus ejection. Also will be unable to play the entire first half of the following game - against Alabama.

This is a video of the hit:
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1053827635053281281

This was called on the field and upheld by replay. I just don't see it. He hit the QB with his hands to the chest and shoved him down. A roughing call, I can see. The ball was gone. I don't even think their helmets actually hit. An ejection, plus missing an entire half of the next game just seems ridiculous to me.

I didn't see it, but there were people mentioning a hit that an Alabama defender had on the Tennessee QB yesterday - much worse than this hit, apparently - and nothing was called.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else think this targeting rule is a bit over-officiated? Intentional targeting with malice is one thing, but I think they need to rethink what is called and what the penalty will be.

Yesterday, in the second half of the LSU-MIss St game, Devin White, LSU's LB was called for targeting. 15 yards, plus ejection. Also will be unable to play the entire first half of the following game - against Alabama.

This is a video of the hit:
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1053827635053281281

This was called on the field and upheld by replay. I just don't see it. He hit the QB with his hands to the chest and shoved him down. A roughing call, I can see. The ball was gone. I don't even think their helmets actually hit. An ejection, plus missing an entire half of the next game just seems ridiculous to me.

I didn't see it, but there were people mentioning a hit that an Alabama defender had on the Tennessee QB yesterday - much worse than this hit, apparently - and nothing was called.
I didn't see any the at equalled an ejection maybe at most roughing but that's the worst .

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see any the at equalled an ejection maybe at most roughing but that's the worst .
Exactly. He even pulled up a bit and just shoved Fitzgerald down. Really not fair to an athlete to be penalized that severely for such a minor infraction. I see no way that he did anything so egregious that he should sit out an entire half of the following game. What's worse is there is no appeal process.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was NOT targeting and I saw 2 plays in other games that were not called that were obvious head to head impacts that should have been called.

Maybe we need to put accelerometers in the helmets so we can know just how hard a hit really is... I'm just kidding, but in this litigious society, it wouldn't surprise me.

The alternative for me is lets take away 95% of the hardware, helmets, shoulder pads, flack jackets, knee braces and so on and then play football.

And yes, Ohio State (I'm a fan) not only got an education, but they were exposed as a fake playoff contender. I'm not sure they belong in the top 10, let alone in the top 4!

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they overturn it
Only on replay at the game. There is no appeal process after the fact. The part about extending the penalty to the next game, should (IMO) be subject to further examination by SEC / NCAA officials. I understand that they need to protect players from head injuries, but not when there was an obvious mistake by officials. This one play completely overshadowed a victory over a 4th top 25 rated team for LSU. I hope that this play and others that are similar will cause NCAA officials to take a second look at this rule next year.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin I know a lot of people get confused between the NFL targeting and roughing and the NCAA targeting and roughing.

Believe it or not the NFL actually has the stricter of the two rules in regards to roughing.

College has the stricter of the two rules for targeting.

I was actually watching the game, and by the letter of rule that was indeed a targeting play. White's hit on Fitz was a bit high and the crown/top of his facemask made contact with Nick's. No matter how you slice it, it's targeting.

Now do I think there should be a targeting 15 without ejection and a targeting 15 with ejection? Tough to say, because again it's college. The rule right now is easy to interpret unlike things like the NFL's new version of roughing. Any contact at all is 15 and an ejection. In general all of the player safety rules in college should be more restrictive than the ones in the NFL. Right now that's not the case with everything but it is with most. College has been calling it like this for a few years now, and I think the conferences have had time to adjust. It was an SEC game with an SEC field and replay crew. They're all well aware what LSU's next game is.

I know it sucks for you guys going into Bama next week to not have White on the field for the first half, but I hope we don't ever get into a situation where the level of the next game effects the calls on the field.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back