User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone say macroalgae???

2ADDD877-8D34-4DB4-A0BA-EC75BAD152D5.jpeg

ID on these macros? Greennin the left, and the red one? They look awesome.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on - left is Caulerpa prolifera, right looks like Agardhiella subulata but hard to tell from that pic.

Awesome thanks.

I have a 40g chaeto fuge section in my 125 sump- thinking of going with an algae reactor instead and making it a ‘display’ (for me, since it’s in my fishroom) macro fuge.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine with the Mars, try and keep it around 10k colour temperature, for flow you will want minimalist as you have seahorses and they really happy on low flow. Try and incorporate a refugium were you can grow an invasive species of macro and create a safe place for pods. The dragonface and the seahorses will hunt all day and you soon will run out of them. If you want seahorses and the dragon face you will have to change your mind about the anemone as it will sting and kill them. I would also look at adding a Molly or two to keep the tank free from gha. Hope it helps. I wouldn’t bother with a skimmer but probably look at a oxidator to keep oxygen levels up and Cristal clear water. A good source of phytoplankton would be a bonus on this tank to.

Awesome info- can something like this be set up as a 40g refugium section on a 125g sump? So- water will be skimmed for the main display, but I can put minimal flow through this section. I have skimmer in left, return section in middle and fuge in right, fed from a t in the return line.

Thanks

acbaldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info- can something like this be set up as a 40g refugium section on a 125g sump? So- water will be skimmed for the main display, but I can put minimal flow through this section. I have skimmer in left, return section in middle and fuge in right, fed from a t in the return line.

Thanks
Sounds about right. Skimmer first keeps the crud outta the macro. At least that's the idea, I haven't run a skimmer in years.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

If your idea is to have seahorse in the sump? I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I’ve done similar in the past and they Donne well the space was smaller to.

A small clip how it used to look

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your idea is to have seahorse in the sump? I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I’ve done similar in the past and they Donne well the space was smaller to.

A small clip how it used to look

That red algae looks awesome- dragons breath?

Not seahorses necessarily- more the macro. Wasn’t sure if the more exotic species needed unskimmed for the increased nutrients.

Thanks for the info.

I think I’m going to set something like this up after vacation. Looks very awesome

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks.

I have a 40g chaeto fuge section in my 125 sump- thinking of going with an algae reactor instead and making it a ‘display’ (for me, since it’s in my fishroom) macro fuge.

If you go for species like caleurpa, blue hoctodes, red grape, birds nest and dragons breath it will still work as both, nutrient export and display all the algaes mentioned above do well at nutrient export, just as good as Cheeto in my view.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red algae looks awesome- dragons breath?

Not seahorses necessarily- more the macro. Wasn’t sure if the more exotic species needed unskimmed for the increased nutrients.

Thanks for the info.

I think I’m going to set something like this up after vacation. Looks very awesome

Yeah still my favourite algae [emoji23], in all honesty skimmer before or after is arguable and it won’t make a difference to the macro, what you will have to keep in mind is the trace consumption as macros love them especially iodine and iron, some will clean your tank also in case metal of contamination, like ulva for example is known to be a sponge for aluminium.

acbaldwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it a while back from LAReefs. I'm dying to get my hands on it again. If anyone knows a source please post it!

Rick Fite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

This is what I want to do. I wish to have a main display upstairs that drains into a secondary display / sump / refugium in the basement. Does anyone have any pics of such a secondary display? It would be probably a normal "sump" type setup, with skimmer, baffles, return pump, etc, but on a large scale, like a 150 or 180 non-drilled. I am curious how to make a typical sump into a display.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I want to do. I wish to have a main display upstairs that drains into a secondary display / sump / refugium in the basement. Does anyone have any pics of such a secondary display? It would be probably a normal "sump" type setup, with skimmer, baffles, return pump, etc, but on a large scale, like a 150 or 180 non-drilled. I am curious how to make a typical sump into a display.

I have a 29g and 125g combo sump in my basement managing a 180 upstairs. In my build thread.

But it definitely isn’t display quality-!its about a year old and is functional but not pretty. Now that things are stabilizing, it’s time fir the gentrification to commence

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your display? That’s awesome!

Got a wider shot so we can see the context?

Thanks!
I split that piece up a bit so I don’t have. A large clump anymore but here are some other pics of it in my display
76967A9F-7059-4EF2-BDE6-43E227BBA425.jpeg

75A6BE69-5CFC-4785-9C82-B75FCDA80AFB.jpeg

I glue it to 1” ceramic squares and let it grow out then trade it for stuff

This is in my larger tank
17D20DE4-AFFC-4D7F-8181-5FDD53BF39C7.jpeg

58C48D07-259E-4B77-8EA6-3AAC0EEF2DA1.jpeg

It grows really well in my SPS dominant tanks and adds a great splash of color

Len

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back