The one fish you regret getting

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love and hate my Duss. Raised him from 6” to now 20”+ in a 700G system. Have recently stressed out many long time tank mates….,

Attachments

• IMG_8729.jpeg
    IMG_8729.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 49

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to limit it to one? Because I regret:

Two pyjama cardinals. They're just so dull. They were my first fish, recommended by my LFS. They look disgustingly healthy, so I'm probably stuck with them for another ten years.

Springeri damsel. Sold to me to assist with a flatworm problem. This one doesn't like flatworms though. It's difficult to see under my lights, looking almost black.

Singapore angel fish. I love this fish, but she has a taste for coral. She's really limiting what I can do with the tank. (Note to self: reef safe with caution means NOT reef safe.)

One spot foxface. Even after 18 months it's so skittish I rarely see it. The sound of a car door closing in the street outside will send it darting for cover.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it’s my Whitetale Bristletooth Tang. I’ve only been in the hobby for about a year and an half and have a 70g display. Wanted one good sized fish and after doing research found that this was probably about as big as I could go, plus I loved their colors - he’d be the centerpiece of the tank. Well, I’ve had him for about a year now and he can be a bully.

I’ve gone through 4 Diamond Gobies - he chases them and caused 3 to jump (2 while cleaning and lid was off and I didn’t notice and one when I forgot to replace the little 3” x 5” cover for the feeding hole). The last one, was a good sized Diamond Goby, thought being bigger he could defend himself better - I drip acclimated and put him in at lights out time - was dead the next morning. I‘m convinced it was the Tang.

He also used to bully my Lubbock’s Wrasse. I added a small One Spot Foxface to help with bubble algae and he started to go after him until he flashed his spikes. Now, they are buddies and hang together - and he no longer bothers the Lubbock’s.

My LFS said they didn’t expect any issues from the tang as long as I didn’t add another Bristletooth. I’ve since done a lot of reading and have found that these Tangs don’t like Diamond Gobies. I’m now wondering if I’d rather have a Diamond Goby instead of the Tang as they are actually a pretty fun fish.
You don’t want a diamond goby, and not for the reason everyone else doesn’t like them. Instead I’ve found these need a good 2-3” sand bed and it has to be 2-3 years old to sustain these guys as most of their nutrients is found in the sand. Without this, unless in a huge tank (7-8’) they tend to starve out especially if only being fed 1-2 times a day.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the powder blue but if you don’t quarantine every single incoming fish and coral they will eventually ich bomb your entire fish population.
Yeah my issue wasnt ich, she turned into a devil fish and was trying to kill my other fish for no reason! Lol she was so fat and healthy so I disnt want to get rid of her at all but I couldnt keep her, especially when she started going after Max my HLLE rescue purple tang that was bigger than her! I was like nope youre out not gonna let you terrorize my purple tang and then my regal angel sorry lol

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ocellaris Clown. She is just mean for the sake of being mean. I dread reaching in the tank to do anything. Even though I know its coming I am still startled every time I get bit.
Yeah, mine have gotten much more protective in the past year. It used to be cute but now she’s big enough to do damage; always surprises me when she attacks.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... i had a bi-color blenny that developed a taste for my sps.

kind of a horrible story actually. I could not get this fish out of my tank. It had a little hideaway in the rocks. nets were no good, so I balled up a piece of epoxy and sealed it in. A tomb so to say. so sad.

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ocellaris Clown. She is just mean for the sake of being mean. I dread reaching in the tank to do anything. Even though I know its coming I am still startled every time I get bit.
Mine is cool with other 3 tank mates. If I’m in the tank doing anything, she’s the only one that comes up to me sweetly(always asking for food lol). She always has. She definitely knows who Mama is and has no issues with me in the tank at all.

She was 1st in the tank. Accepted the other 3 over a span of 5-6 weeks no problem. Accepted cleaner shrimp, etc.

But the last time I added fish (August) she was RELENTLESS.

Then she tricked me into letting them out of the breeder box by “pretending” to ignore them for and extended period time (like 12hrs). Basically whenever I checked in, she was in her normal “area” in the upper back corner of the tank seemingly unfazed.

They all ate together with no issue.

Then BAM…both dead and she’s doing victory laps around the tank just strutting her fins off.

She’s the only one that has ever shown any aggression and it was/is only to the male. Not ever to the point of hurting him or tearing fins though. She was just a major “B” to him nipping only to boss him out of the way or into a certain area.

He is always so willing to please her too. I love Levi☺️♥️

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take that back…she and the Banggai Cardinal came in together from Ocean Devotion. She was purchased as part of a bonded pair but the male didn’t make it.

They were shipped together in the same bag (the Cardinal was separate). Now that I know her personality, I would bet money she got scared and stressed during shipping and bullied that male en route to me.

She was healthy, happy, and beautiful when I took her out. Swimming around her then deceased mate “gallantly.”

So her and the Cardinal went in together first.

Adam sent me another male about 4 weeks later (he had to finish QT). Levi arrived tiny and apparently pre-programmed to love “Fancy”, the female. It was love at first sight for him.

Now they do everything together (on her terms). Lol.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mirror trick weekly to the Duss would help. I’m facing the same problem.
Does not work for me especially when there are 24 tangs in the tank

Rob&VC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I'm a powder blue tang sufferer. Its so evil ich wont touch it. Spends all day whacking the glass admiring itself(it is a beauty to) and in between sessions it relentlessly corners the smaller hippo tang...and bullies the rest of the tank. Almost time for a fishing trip in my living room, net catching him is probably impossible.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the fish you regret
A small Occ clown… first SW fish that I ever bought, back in 1973.
Although he didn’t last too long, that fish has me ‘trapped’ for the past 50 years and well into 6 figures of expenses!

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I'm a powder blue tang sufferer. Its so evil ich wont touch it. Spends all day whacking the glass admiring itself(it is a beauty to) and in between sessions it relentlessly corners the smaller hippo tang...and bullies the rest of the tank. Almost time for a fishing trip in my living room, net catching him is probably impossible.
I netted mine out of the tank with ease before the lights came on. If it sleeps in the rocks then you’re SOL on that method

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back