The real Black Box light study

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited when you do the viparspectra 165w. Bought one for my 29g and I'm putting it up soon. I hear it's a really good light.
I've been using one for over 2 years now. I like it alot just don't turn it up too much too fast.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Registered here just to say thankyou for doing this, even over here in the UK, the time and effort you are spending from your own life is appreciated.

Thankyou very much (also, Vipar spectra owner here over a 45cm cube :D )
Hi can i ask what your settings are, how long you've had the light also how high off the water? Cheers

Last edited:

ph123uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can i ask what your settings are, how long you've had the light also how high off the water? Cheers

Hey there,

30% Blues 5% White - around 12" from the water: Thinking I might drop to 20% and 1% as they seem extremely bright, but my Torch and Zoas seem to be ok with it haha :)

IMG_20190106_110659.jpg

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try the modified AB+ settings that @MSB123 and @dantimdad have been working on for the K7.

First of all, thanks for all your time and efforts toward this study. I'm following along since I got one K7. Those comparison charts are quite remarkable, very straight forward with impressive honest par reading. No doubts about the impartiality of your work. Great work...
About the quote above, can you send me those settings % or where can I find it? Because I'm going to set it, on one side mean while.
Keep doing what and how you your doing it, very remarkable work.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, thanks for all your time and efforts toward this study. I'm following along since I got one K7. Those comparison charts are quite remarkable, very straight forward with impressive honest par reading. No doubts about the impartiality of your work. Great work...
About the quote above, can you send me those settings % or where can I find it? Because I'm going to set it, on one side mean while.
Here you go!
This is for lights 36” off the sandbed. For 24” off the sandbed, do 2/3 of the power, for 12” do 1/3 for 18” do 1/2
F49138D9-EECB-4A19-967B-032B2FC25A81.png

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C2A75B76-1BFD-4AFB-9549-233AF15C1CDF.jpeg
Ignore the Green, red is the different set points

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

30% Blues 5% White - around 12" from the water: Thinking I might drop to 20% and 1% as they seem extremely bright, but my Torch and Zoas seem to be ok with it haha :)

IMG_20190106_110659.jpg
I have a bloomspect black box (ideally similar) and I used to have it at 40% blue and 10% white but in the last 5 months have ramped it up to 100/100. I have a seneye reef and shot my par with that. I mainly have sps in a 40 gallon breeder. I did notice my zoas responded better with more white light and measurable nitrates.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I will do some regular Black Box testing on Friday and work hard overnight until Saturday.
The first thing is getting par numbers then going from there.
I am still trying to figure out how to separate the Noopsyche study with everything else.

If you guys have suggestions please let me know?

Thanks,
Matt

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I will do some regular Black Box testing on Friday and work hard overnight until Saturday.
I am still trying to figure out how to separate the Noopsyche study with everything else.

Thanks,
Matt
I dont think its necessary to separate the study.
Most people, like myself, purchase black box lights because we can not (yet) afford the big name brands. I think it's important to know how the BB compares to the lights tested in the noopsyche study.

In my opinion it is better to have all the light study go on in one topic so anyone can compare data between any selection of lights.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its necessary to separate the study.
Most people, like myself, purchase black box lights because we can not (yet) afford the big name brands. I think it's important to know how the BB compares to the lights tested in the noopsyche study.

In my opinion it is better to have all the light study go on in one topic so anyone can compare data between any selection of lights.
The real thing we want to know is, do I need to save for the "big name brands" lights so my tank will look good too?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real thing we want to know is, do I need to save for the "big name brands" lights so my tank will look good too?
That has been proven time and time again not to be the case. Many of those real expensive light companies would love for that to be the case but that is not true.
What we are doing here is giving those popular Black Box lights a place to show what they can do under some controlled conditions.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C2A75B76-1BFD-4AFB-9549-233AF15C1CDF.jpeg

Ignore the Green, red is the different set points
I did it and it works fine what I only did was entering my own times to the schedule, but it stay on all night long. I reset the controller, and re do the setting this morning but still staying on on the 6 setting doesn't turn off at 7. I got no idea, what I did wrong or what?
Did this happends to you? I so, how you solve it.

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bloomspect black box (ideally similar) and I used to have it at 40% blue and 10% white but in the last 5 months have ramped it up to 100/100. I have a seneye reef and shot my par with that. I mainly have sps in a 40 gallon breeder. I did notice my zoas responded better with more white light and measurable nitrates.
I have the par map for the measurements I took. Its on the 6th page if it doesn't direct you to it. I don't want to see those reding in this tread being its a different device taking the readings and different test environment.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/504602/

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Matt

Four thoughts;

1.) IMHO, and as it has been mentioned by numerous people, separating the threads is not necessary. You're conducting a light study. They are all lights. Keep them together. Additionally, should the lights be separated, some may think Noopsyche was shown some sort of favoritism. I believe if you give Noopsyche their own thread then each BB should also be given their own thread.
2.) Should you decide to separate them, can you not simply change the title of the thread? (I don't know if this is even possible and that's why I ask.)
3.) Have you contacted any of the BB manufacturers, told them of your study and asked them if they'd like to donate lights to be included in the study?
4.) And finally, don't work too hard overnight on Friday because you have to work @dantimdad exceptionally hard on Saturday. (While trying to work him to the point of having hallucinations, do your best to keep him just short of having another stroke!) :D

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four thoughts;
4.) And finally, don't work too hard overnight on Friday because you have to work @dantimdad exceptionally hard on Saturday. (While trying to work him to the point of having hallucinations, do your best to keep him just short of having another stroke!) :D

Wow! And to think, I considered you a friend...

;Hilarious

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back