The Tenecor® Desktop AIO Drop Off DIY Drops April 13th, 2024

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Refugium Baffle kit - 40g Breeder for a 120g build. For our DIY the intake area should be reconfigured for removable sock holder and for a roller.
In this one I like the idea for probe holders as well as cord management holders.
1710424443194.png
Do you silicone the acrylic to the glass? I have only used glass in the past, and always wonder since I see there is a big back and forth about siliconing acrylic to glass.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you silicone the acrylic to the glass? I have only used glass in the past, and always wonder since I see there is a big back and forth about siliconing acrylic to glass.
I bought my AIO drop in from tenecor, on one of the first diy threads. I did solevent weld the acrylic together, and used silicone to attach the AIO part the the glass tank. Total seal, waterproof, firmly attached and going strong 2? Years later. (I'd have to check dates on my build thread to be sure but it feels like it's been a while)

I did use a generous bead of silicone and really smushed it together.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the biggest DIY kit that yall could do? Been thinking about building a tank, but glass is expensive, and I don’t trust myself to route acrylic.

Btw love these tiny picos! I would do a shrimp tank in a heartbeat if that was offered.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone. Taped off the edges with blue painters tape ~3/8 to 1/2" from baffle. Ran a bead, smoothed it out. Let dry. Peel off the tape and you have nice, clean edges.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the ATO there were two practice pieces. Sparked an idea I've been working on for small LED lit signs.
Those that got the DIY Frag and Sump kits a while back might of gotten the "I Love TENNECOR" etched piece.
Before taking off all the film I painted the letters and shark. Its solid without the light, and has a nice glow above both white and blue. Base is foam board mock up with a small submersible LED to prove out concept.
1710429954523.png

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siliconing acrylic to glass in a sump is not a problem since there is no real water pressure. Siliconing acrylic to acrylic is not advised on aquariums of any meaningful size, that is larger than what you can tolerate spilling on your floor. Our tab and notch design (which I am in the process of improving) allows you to solvent weld the pieces and then add silicone gusset seams for extra leakage insurance.

Anybody with the ato kits assembled them yet?

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums What are the chances you might still have some of those pieces laying around, thats pretty sweet what @Jim Gomoll did?

Along with the ATO there were two practice pieces. Sparked an idea I've been working on for small LED lit signs.
Those that got the DIY Frag and Sump kits a while back might of gotten the "I Love TENNECOR" etched piece.
Before taking off all the film I painted the letters and shark. Its solid without the light, and has a nice glow above both white and blue. Base is foam board mock up with a small submersible LED to prove out concept.
1710429954523.png

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siliconing acrylic to glass in a sump is not a problem since there is no real water pressure. Siliconing acrylic to acrylic is not advised on aquariums of any meaningful size, that is larger than what you can tolerate spilling on your floor. Our tab and notch design (which I am in the process of improving) allows you to solvent weld the pieces and then add silicone gusset seams for extra leakage insurance.

Anybody with the ato kits assembled them yet?
Thats what I read, but I've also read that theres some swelling of the acrylic causing the silicone to weaken. Like I said, I've always done glass to glass silicone, and acrylic to acrylic weldon 4. I am willing to try out a DIY sump with a glass tank and acrylic panels as part of my current build instead of using glass.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums What are the chances you might still have some of those pieces laying around, thats pretty sweet what @Jim Gomoll did?
Might have some. Or we can make more. Again, machine time. Everything is running constantly two shifts a day. They don’t like me to put stuff like this into production. But I still do. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Let me see what we can do.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I read, but I've also read that theres some swelling of the acrylic causing the silicone to weaken. Like I said, I've always done glass to glass silicone, and acrylic to acrylic weldon 4. I am willing to try out a DIY sump with a glass tank and acrylic panels as part of my current build instead of using glass.
Wait for our complete acrylic diy sump kit. It’s coming sooner than expected. CAD team is finalizing the first design. These are going to kill it.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for our complete acrylic diy sump kit. It’s coming sooner than expected. CAD team is finalizing the first design. These are going to kill it.
It starts like this. With a sketch. The notches are key to holding the geometry. But the are also leak points. The solution is small acrylic cover plates. Decorative. DIY sequence is to install all the cover plates first. Then glue it up and save about 65% on your sump. See pic below.
IMG_0042.jpeg

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have some. Or we can make more. Again, machine time. Everything is running constantly two shifts a day. They don’t like me to put stuff like this into production. But I still do. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Let me see what we can do.
Etch the logo into the corner of the DIY builds. And like the Reef2reef in the other corner?

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It starts like this. With a sketch. The notches are key to holding the geometry. But the are also leak points. The solution is small acrylic cover plates. Decorative. DIY sequence is to install all the cover plates first. Then glue it up and save about 65% on your sump. See pic below.
IMG_0042.jpeg
Only issue with the tab/cove plate idea is we are locked into the baffle spacing, not a 100% DIY.
Will still be getting one :)

Edit: Since these are glued together. Why cant we just glue baffles in place at any spacing?
Like glass with acrylic baffles one has to square up and adhere in place.

Last edited:

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0042.jpeg
Can there be an "im daring" (stupid) option with out the notch and tab?

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710429954523.png
Found another one I didn't paint all of it. Carefully scored body contour on the shark with a hobby Xacto for this cool effect when lit up.
No light, Blue only
White only, Blue & White
1710440043654.png

Last edited:

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did some thread digging and found my original pictures for my diy aio insert. It shows my silicone job and smushing and although it may have been overkill on the amount of silicone, its holding perfect still, 1 year later.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back