The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my pintail. It jumped through the tiniest hole that was there. Found it behind the tank a few months later.
20211218_150423_HDR-1.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly how I lost my first pintail.

Was doing maintenance one day, must have jumped when I had the lid off. Didn't notice till 2 days later(had 2 very long days at work that week) when it was dried up on the counter behind the tank.

After loosing a pintail, and a black leopard that way, I now do a head count after having the lid off.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly how I lost my first pintail.

Was doing maintenance one day, must have jumped when I had the lid off. Didn't notice till 2 days later(had 2 very long days at work that week) when it was dried up on the counter behind the tank.

After loosing a pintail, and a black leopard that way, I now do a head count after having the lid off.

I have a canopy, that was open backed. This pintail jumped into the overflow, twice. Final straw was it spooked and I heard a splash and that was that. I worked my usual slammed 4 day work week, realized it was lost to neptune after my work week. I upgraded uv lights and found it under the uv light

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Reefer 525XL (5ft, 109gal DT/139 total)

About 16 fish total with the big hitters being a Blue Hippo, Yellow Tang, Melanarus Wrasse (4 inches) Orangeback Fairy Wrasse, Exquiste Wrasse. 5 Anthias, various other small peaceful fish.

All fish so far are very peaceful together One Lyretail Anthias is a bit of a bully but usually just chases some of the wrasses, other Lyretail but that’s it. The Melarus Wrasse does it’s thing diving into the same spot in the sand bed which is about 1.5 inches high, maybe 2 inches in certain spots

TSM Aquatics just got in Jeweled Leopard Wrasses. Would it be doable adding another sand dwelling wrasse like this one?

It looks absolutely gorgeous and a leopard wrasse has been at the top of my stocking list.

If I do grab the Jeweled Leopard, I plan to add some more sand in the lower spots.

I am also picking up a Brunneus Fairy Wrasse from them this weekend. I wouldn’t add the Jeweled for another 3-4 weeks to spread out the new additions.

Some concerns would be the Jeweled Leopard targeting my CUC, my copepod population not being high enough or my sand bed not being high enough. I see the Melarus hunting throughout the rocks all day. I feed frozen about 3-5times a day.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess who is camera shy and likes to play hide and seek. He can swim front and center but the minute I point the camera he goes into hiding waiting for me to put it away. Gf think it's comical.
20220516_182903_HDR.jpg
This is adorable.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess who is camera shy and likes to play hide and seek. He can swim front and center but the minute I point the camera he goes into hiding waiting for me to put it away. Gf think it's comical.
20220516_182903_HDR.jpg
They’re adorable when they do that, I think I’ll try another once the bobbitworm is out of the tank (I’m 95% sure that’s why my second pink streak vanished).

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

About 16 fish total with the big hitters being a Blue Hippo, Yellow Tang, Melanarus Wrasse (4 inches) Orangeback Fairy Wrasse, Exquiste Wrasse. 5 Anthias, various other small peaceful fish.

All fish so far are very peaceful together One Lyretail Anthias is a bit of a bully but usually just chases some of the wrasses, other Lyretail but that’s it. The Melarus Wrasse does it’s thing diving into the same spot in the sand bed which is about 1.5 inches high, maybe 2 inches in certain spots

TSM Aquatics just got in Jeweled Leopard Wrasses. Would it be doable adding another sand dwelling wrasse like this one?

It looks absolutely gorgeous and a leopard wrasse has been at the top of my stocking list.

If I do grab the Jeweled Leopard, I plan to add some more sand in the lower spots.

I am also picking up a Brunneus Fairy Wrasse from them this weekend. I wouldn’t add the Jeweled for another 3-4 weeks to spread out the new additions.

Some concerns would be the Jeweled Leopard targeting my CUC, my copepod population not being high enough or my sand bed not being high enough. I see the Melarus hunting throughout the rocks all day. I feed frozen about 3-5times a day.
What are your nutrient levels in that tank? What export methods are you using?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont see it being a problem. I keep a Leopard wrasse with a melanurus wrasse, along with a blue flasher and several other fish in my 65g.

The melanurus is more likely to target CUC than the Leopard. My sand is about an inch deep, that seems to be enough for them. If it's eating prepared foods, I don't think you'll have a problem.

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont see it being a problem. I keep a Leopard wrasse with a melanurus wrasse, along with a blue flasher and several other fish in my 65g.

The melanurus is more likely to target CUC than the Leopard. My sand is about an inch deep, that seems to be enough for them. If it's eating prepared foods, I don't think you'll have a problem.

So if I use an acclimation box for the jeweled wrasse, should I include a bowl of sand so they can burrow there at night?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I use an acclimation box for the jeweled wrasse, should I include a bowl of sand so they can burrow there at night?

Yeah for sure, it'll get stressed out without sand to burrow in. I've never used an acclimation box for a Leopard wrasse. They'll just burrow if they get scared so I've never considered it necessary.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure, it'll get stressed out without sand to burrow in. I've never used an acclimation box for a Leopard wrasse. They'll just burrow if they get scared so I've never considered it necessary.
Same.

I have used an acclimtion box for some sand sleeping wrasses. And yes, I did offer a tub of sand to sleep in, but none ever went to the sand. They seemed to prefer hiding under the dish, rather then in the sand. This also stressed them out beyond belief.

I have since gone the same route as @JCM and many others in this thread regarding sand sleeping wrasses. I just plop, and drop. I find they are often less stressed, and will come out in a day or 2.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same.

I have used an acclimtion box for some sand sleeping wrasses. And yes, I did offer a tub of sand to sleep in, but none ever went to the sand. They seemed to prefer hiding under the dish, rather then in the sand. This also stressed them out beyond belief.

I have since gone the same route as @JCM and many others in this thread regarding sand sleeping wrasses. I just plop, and drop. I find they are often less stressed, and will come out in a day or 2.

+1 on this. Sand sleeping wrasses go straight in. Fairy and flasher wrasses go into the acclimation box.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this with all of my wrasses and not just sand sleepers. All of them remain calm compared to when I float them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I posted any pics. Will have to grab a few when everyone wakes up.
Don’t worry I feel the same haha, I really need to get that Jade to stay still for Atleast a minute.
And my iridis now that I think about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back