The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the three fairy's first and the flasher last, given how its shown aggression. A bit backwards from the norm, but there are no hard set rules with this.
Thanks so much I appreciate your time to respond. Just 1 last question and probably no set rule. But how long is a good amount of time to wait before flasher goes in after. Days? Or week? This is all new to me.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm very happy. I managed to expand my Wrasse collection with a ornatus leopard and a wetmorella.

With this I now have:
C. Solon
C. Lubbocky 2 (male female)
H Melanorus
H. Leucoxanthus
C. Exquisitus

Do you have any sugestión for the newcommers?
The wetmorella is already picking the rocks for pods, but the leopard seems a litle confused.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm very happy. I managed to expand my Wrasse collection with a ornatus leopard and a wetmorella.

With this I now have:
C. Solon
H Melanorus
H. Leucoxanthus
C. Exquisitus

The wetmorella is already picking the rocks for pods, but the leopard seems a litle confused.

Beautiful fish. I'm glad you were able to get 2 more in safely.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

With this I now have:
C. Solon
H Melanorus
H. Leucoxanthus
C. Exquisitus

that is a Melagris not an ornate, give her time and I found ROE by reef nutrition entices my new small leopard additions.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IsoscelesFairy2019100801.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fully transitioned male fairy starts to look a bit ragged, without obvious aggression from the other fish, sign of old age?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
that is a Melagris not an ornate, give her time and I found ROE by reef nutrition entices my new small leopard additions.
I use ROE too.
When I get in new fish especially wrasses I make sure I have a little live food on hand to get them eating.
Mostly Tigger pods, but I've used live brine in a pinch.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so lucky to have a LFS that feeds same frozen as I do. I try to get fish before LFS feeds for the day so they are hungry when I add them to the tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much I appreciate your time to respond. Just 1 last question and probably no set rule. But how long is a good amount of time to wait before flasher goes in after. Days? Or week? This is all new to me.
If you're using an acclimation box, it's really based on the interaction. But typically 2-3 days.
that is a Melagris not an ornate
+1
When a fully transitioned male fairy starts to look a bit ragged, without obvious aggression from the other fish, sign of old age?
Yes, IME. But that doesn't mean they're necessarily on death's door - can live quite a few more years like that.
Frozen blood worms will often entice new leopards to eat as well
Or live blackworms.

dduby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this boy. Hand down the most beautiful fish in my tank.

20190923_202714(0).jpg

I really loved mine too, but he became a world class jerk. I would really like to re-home him but i won't do that to any of my friends. He is going back to the LFS when i get the time. Currently kicking it in my refugium, probably wiping out my pod population.

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to keeping wrasses. Just got a pintail fairy about a week ago and was considering adding this red head solon that my LFS has. Will these two be aggressive towards one another?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to keeping wrasses. Just got a pintail fairy about a week ago and was considering adding this red head solon that my LFS has. Will these two be aggressive towards one another?
According to the chart I always follow, it maybe a problem. The pintail my favorite is the most docile wrasse there is, add another pintail if you want, that is how docile they are.
WRASSE.png

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses eat micro brittle stars or are they so efficient at eating and so quick that the micro starfish starve out? I transferred everything from my 180 last Sunday into my new 310 and there was not one micro brittle star or bristle worm. I have kept micro brittle stars in all my tanks for 15 years. They seem to be missing in my office tank also? The only wrasse before a year ago was a cleaner.

Back