The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scott's is probably the most aggressive of all Cirrhilabrus species and is prone to lose it's vibrant color after a while as well. The Mystery is from a genus that as a whole should not be mixed with other wrasses. Occasionally it will work but it's not worth the risk IMO.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scott's is probably the most aggressive of all Cirrhilabrus species and is prone to lose it's vibrant color after a while as well. The Mystery is from a genus that as a whole should not be mixed with other wrasses. Occasionally it will work but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Thanks, that's helpful! I'll cross them off my list.

Anyone know much about the Pacific Redstripe (AKA Candystripe) Hogfish (Bodianus sepiacaudus)? It seems like I'd have some amazing color and variety with 3 of the 4 fish below:
- Black Leopard Wrasse (that I already have)
- Melanarus Wrasse
- either Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
- or Pacific Redstripe Hogfish
I imagine all 4 would probably be too much in my 120 with the other fish mentioned in my post above?
Thanks,
--Kyle

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To QT my DW, do I need sand, since they like to hide/sleep in sand?
Yes, you'll need sand for the dragon to sleep in. A small container with a inch or two of sand will do the trick.
question guys, a pintail, filamented and a mystery wrasse in 5 foot tank, yay or nay?
Skip the mystery; potential for aggression. When you say filamented, do you mean C. filamentosus or P. filamentosus? Big difference - okay for the flasher (Paracheilinus), but absolutely not okay for the fairy (Cirrhilabrus).
Ok, need some advice if I can fit in a Lineatus Wrasse with my current stock in a 120 gallon tank:

- Black Leopard Wrasse (f)
- Moyers Wrasse (f)
- Blue Star Wrasse (f)
- Potters Wrasse (f)
- China Wrasse (f)
- Cleaner Wrasse (f)
- Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (m)
- Flame Fairy Wrasse (m)
- Onyx Clowns (2)
- Yellow Tang
The potential for the rubrimarginatus and the lineatus to want to murder the other, considering the tank size, is pretty high. I wouldn't try it.
pink margin and lineatus are in the same complex
Agree.
* Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) - or similar (up to 4.5" - a little concerned about skunk cleaners, but I don't have any currently) - partly to help with potential pest outbreaks, but I like the color too.
* Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) - love the coloration (especially the Maldives one)
- Scott's Fairy Wrasse - but not likely unless somehow I find a really good price on one.
- Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus) - like the unique blue/purple coloration, but also a bit too pricey
- Sea Grass Wrasse (Novaculichthys macrolepidotus) - not sure about this one, but the green color is very unique...
- Mystery Wrasse - maybe a little too pricey
- Naoko's Fairy Wrasse - a little smaller than I'd like, and also pricey
Of all of those, the scott's, mystery, and naoko are NOT suitable. The others could potentially be done.
You might find this a worthwhile read: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/
Any particular reason to avoid the Scott's and Mystery?
Salty nails it below:
The Scott's is probably the most aggressive of all Cirrhilabrus species and is prone to lose it's vibrant color after a while as well. The Mystery is from a genus that as a whole should not be mixed with other wrasses.
Anyone know much about the Pacific Redstripe (AKA Candystripe) Hogfish (Bodianus sepiacaudus)?
In general, bodianus=jerk. Not likely to go well either.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, bodianus=jerk. Not likely to go well either.

Aww, really? That sucks. I was really looking forward to the idea of getting this fish. :( LiveAquaria describes them as very peaceful in their description (except with the same species). But I'll trust the community over them. Thanks for your help,
--Kyle

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason to avoid the Scott's and Mystery? They aren't at the top of my list, so NBD, but just curious why.

My hippo and sailfin aren't particularly large. Tangs grow slowly. My yellow hasn't grown more than an inch or so over the past 9 years (it's about 4"). At any rate, once the others get too large for my tank, I'll rehome them to someone with a larger tank. Thanks,
--Kyle
My tangs tend to grow pretty fast. I guess I feed a lot ad I have a large tank. Others have answer your question on the Scott's and Mystery.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question with wrasses. I have a male pintail fairy, female hooded, and carpenter flasher. At first pintail was punking the others. Now they swim together. This morning I woke up and when my lights just crack on slightly. The female hooded and male pintail are aide by side in the same cave. I'm just happy they are getting along. But my question is this. Is it possible for 2 different kind of wrasses to actually pair up? They are probably just friends. But wondering if it's ever happened.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question with wrasses. I have a male pintail fairy, female hooded, and carpenter flasher. At first pintail was punking the others. Now they swim together. This morning I woke up and when my lights just crack on slightly. The female hooded and male pintail are aide by side in the same cave. I'm just happy they are getting along. But my question is this. Is it possible for 2 different kind of wrasses to actually pair up? They are probably just friends. But wondering if it's ever happened.
Hybridization certainly happens on wild reefs between different species of Cirrhilabrus and within different species of Paracheilinus. But wrasse do not "pair":

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EightlineFlasher2019061605.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That for sure especially when they flashing. They moving so fast then.
Pretty much requires a DSLR (or equivalent) with a shutter 1/250 or higher at that point.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agh... the addiction is real. I placed another order...

Currently have:
C. isosceles
C. Jordani

Adding:
P. Carpenteri (replacing one I lost)
C. Rubeus
C. Exquisitus
H. Chrysus (Or should I say Yellow Choris? ;Facepalm :rolleyes: )

Future:
C. Aurantidorsalis
C. Katherinae
??????

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agh... the addiction is real. I placed another order...

Currently have:
C. isosceles
C. Jordani

Adding:
P. Carpenteri (replacing one I lost)
C. Rubeus
C. Exquisitus
H. Chrysus (Or should I say Yellow Choris? ;Facepalm :rolleyes: )

Future:
C. Aurantidorsalis
C. Katherinae
??????
So... when's the upgrade?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back