B6EC3539-45E8-4AA5-AA67-688B0031BA1F.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help Selecting Wrasse Please

Hello! Newbie with 120G reefer. I’m hoping to add wrasse (1 male and 2 female) to my tank and I’m down to the following wrasse
  • Blueheaded Fairy
  • Rubyhead Solon Fairy
  • Ruby finned Fairy
  • McCosker’s Flasher
The tank already has snowflake clowns, blue chromis, diamondback goby, and a starry blenny. Tank also has a maxima clam, a couple of feather dusters, and a BTA just starting to add corals.

I think these wrasse should be okay in the tank but want to make sure feather dusters and clam will be okay.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't want to put in 3 of the same species if that's what you're thinking of doing. You likely won't have 3 for very long.

Flashers and Fairies should be fine with clams and feather dusters, just be sure that the wrasses are compatible with each other. Check out Evolved's threads about wrasses in the stickies.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't want to put in 3 of the same species if that's what you're thinking of doing. You likely won't have 3 for very long.

Flashers and Fairies should be fine with clams and feather dusters, just be sure that the wrasses are compatible with each other. Check out Evolved's threads about wrasses in the stickies.
Thanks @Rybren. Yes I was hoping to put three of same species in one tank (like 1 male and 2 female). So you’re saying they will eventually eliminate each other until only one?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Rybren. Yes I was hoping to put three of same species in one tank (like 1 male and 2 female). So you’re saying they will eventually eliminate each other until only one?
This is a great read for you.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rybren @Brew12 @OrionN thanks so much for your insights. So I could safely (?) put a single flasher and fairy wrasse in same tank? Should I try to get two females or won’t it matter.
See this write up by Hunter. All you want to know regarding mixing Fairy wrasses. How aggressive each species, which species can likely do well with which species ect....
in a 120, I would put several Flashers and several Faries in it. Which ones and how many depends on what species.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved Any trouble keeping a Cirrhilabrus solorensis and Halichoeres melanurus in the same tank. I already have a Paracheilinus carpenteri and Cirrhilabrus rubeus in the tank, any problems with either of those with the first 2? Looking at the inferiority complex thread I wouldn't think there would be a problem with the 2 Cirrhilabrus as they seem to be pretty seperated.

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance of getting a pencil wrasse. Has anyone had any experience with them? I read they will feed and adapt fine but then a few months in they just die or disappear. Are they aggressive toward other wrasses as I have a few fairies and flashers. Here she is at the store

16359CE3-4E95-4D94-966F-8192FD5E9712.jpeg

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning fish for a 100.3 system build and was curious,,, if I had a Christmas Wrasse and a Yellow Wrasse, then decided to add a smaller Four-line Wrasse later, do you think it would cause trouble?

I've never kept that combination.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning fish for a 100.3 system build and was curious,,, if I had a Christmas Wrasse and a Yellow Wrasse, then decided to add a smaller Four-line Wrasse later, do you think it would cause trouble?

I've never kept that combination.
I would avoid the Fourline wrasse or other wrasse in the Pseudocheilinus genus. They are very aggressive and will be trouble down the road with other wrasse and non wrasse fishes.

Last edited:

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance of getting a pencil wrasse. Has anyone had any experience with them? I read they will feed and adapt fine but then a few months in they just die or disappear. Are they aggressive toward other wrasses as I have a few fairies and flashers. Here she is at the store

16359CE3-4E95-4D94-966F-8192FD5E9712.jpeg
I’ve had my pencil for about a year with no issues with any of my fairies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back