Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChinaWrasse2022011204Male.jpg

0a0f7240-04b4-4fa4-823e-455117227289-png.2503988

My China Wrasse, Terminal Male
How does this guy do with smaller inverts and other wrasses? I thought about grabbing one, but will have small shrimp like Urocaridella and Ancyclomenes in my tank, and don't want to put them at risk. I see the Leopard in the background of your pic, and plan on having leopards, a yellow tail tamarin, and a few fairies.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this guy do with smaller inverts and other wrasses? I thought about grabbing one, but will have small shrimp like Urocaridella and Ancyclomenes in my tank, and don't want to put them at risk. I see the Leopard in the background of your pic, and plan on having leopards, a yellow tail tamarin, and a few fairies.
He is a very docile wrasse, but no body bothers him. Cleanse shrimp and anemone shrimp doing die in my tank. One small red leg hermit crab doing fine in my tank also.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought those were much more blue/purple. Awesome! Funny how they're tolerating each other, despite being the same species.
During flashing they both get VERY blue, this is the closest I could find in what my indo looks like when he flashes.
1B59266B-9D87-488B-A288-3953971D3DCC.jpeg

He gets much more blue though, it’s electric and even in a different room you can see him flashing (He’s only about 1.5-2”).

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During flashing they both get VERY blue, this is the closest I could find in what my indo looks like when he flashes.

He gets much more blue though, it’s electric and even in a different room you can see him flashing (He’s only about 1.5-2”).
Nice! My first plan was getting a lubbock's or orange back. With my current stocking I really need something bright red though, otherwise I think I would've gotten a lubbock's. Very pretty.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My first plan was getting a lubbock's or orange back. With my current stocking I really need something bright red though, otherwise I think I would've gotten a lubbock's. Very pretty.
What is your current stock in terms of wrasses? May be able to help if you want a red wrasse or a different red fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question since I don’t think I have any good photos of my leopard when I got her (Or even early on when I was caring for her), what is the usual female maturity size for a bipartitus? At the moment she’s probably an inch at max.
6F2E420D-7099-4051-A592-82891CEAA752.jpeg
419223DB-45DA-485B-A8A5-3974935A052A.jpeg

Also may aswell show a nice photo of the C. naokoae in that tank too (Not long till he’s 3”, he’s probably 2”-2.5”). So glad I got him at 1” now just strange how he was a male at 1” unless it was a freshly transitioned male.
14916E53-0427-44D1-9653-9D66F2E44233.jpeg
0C4BD235-7283-4FCB-97EA-58ABC78C50BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current stock in terms of wrasses? May be able to help if you want a red wrasse or a different red fish.
None, except for the cleaner wrasse. Suggest away! I'm pretty settled on the social wrasse, but I'm open to hear other options. I want something primarily red. Current stocking consists of azure and talbot damsels, pair of orchid dottybacks and soon a coral beauty. So lots of blue/pink/purple. Should also be slightly aggressive so it won't get bullied by all of my demon spawns :eek:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, except for the cleaner wrasse. Suggest away! I'm pretty settled on the social wrasse, but I'm open to hear other options. I want something primarily red. Current stocking consists of azure and talbot damsels, pair of orchid dottybacks and soon a coral beauty. So lots of blue/pink/purple. Should also be slightly aggressive so it won't get bullied by all of my demon spawns :eek:
The female H. biocellatus is a nice red, H. Iridis has some red and can stand up for itself. C. gaimard is red and will gladly be aggressive haha. C. rubrisquamis is a nice red on its face and can stand up for itself, if you don’t mind breaking the bank a ton then C. greenei is a nice wrasse but very similar to it is C. naokoae (What I have) and I’m pretty sure both can stand up for themselves. There’s a ton of them!! Every genus of wrasse has Atleast one red wrasse in it.
All of the flasher wrasses have some form of red in them. I wish more nano wrasses had vibrant colours, I really need something I’ll enjoy with personality and colours to construct against the neutral colours of fish.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse lovers, can you help with identification! Got him a few months ago with a PBT from a fellow reefer and I don't know what he/she is exactly. I figure a flavor of fairy wrasse, but I don't know which one.
20220115_123852.jpg
20220115_123900.jpg
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki aka Lubbock’s fairy wrasse. Yours is the Cebu variant.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are pictures of mine when he is flashing. Very beautiful and hardy fish. Cheap too.
LubbockFairyA2019111201.jpg
LubbockFairyB2019052801resized.jpg

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in a tank your size you could add more. I had missed that you have a puffer, and that may be an issue with smaller wrasse. I'm not the right person to give you reliable advice with regards to the puffer, but I would recommend looking into that further.

Regarding the chart, I have found it to be a helpful guideline, with bendable rules. If you select wrasses that are more aggressive from the same complex, just need to be aware that the probability of poor compatibility goes up. I've used the chart and believe it's solid. I have a flame, earl's, and roseafascia that are all from the same complex. My system is a 330 gallon mixed reef and the roseafascia was added after several other wrasse had become established because in general they can be more aggressive than the flame and Earl's. The larger the tank the more bendable the rules are for the smaller wrasses.

In terms of timing, I typically place fairy and flashers in social acclimation for a week. I like to allow them to settle into the tank for a bit before adding the next one. I don't follow a rule, but exercise a bit of discretion. If a fish is timid and doesn't appear settled, I may wait longer to reduce stress and help them get more acclimated. In general I wait at least 2 weeks, but some fish are uncommonly available, and I've taken them when they become available.
The chart is good, but still hit or miss. I have a Blue throat that's supposed to be a terror on the compatibility list. He's one of the most docile in the tank, and gets bullied by a Solar wrasse and occasionally my Naoko. The Solar has turned into the bully of them all. He chases my Blue throat and Orange backed. Generally leaves my Naoko and Exquiste alone.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had
Any experiences with C. rubeus? I think it's also called social wrasse? My wrasse crew - except for the uncatchable cleaner - went to a bigger tank to make room for some smaller groups and pairs. My tank is now damsel and dottyback heaven. The least aggressive kinds :p

I just want one nice slightly larger eyecatcher in the upper regions. I'm afraid flasher wrasses are going to experience too much stress, plus I'm looking for a more bright red fish instead of orange. Rubeus is gorgeous imo and if it can handle a slightly more aggressive tank it'd be a great option.
I had one for a few months, was a complete ****** to my other wrasses. Was comtemplating removing him, didnt know how in a 500 gallon tank. Used a clarifier in the tank once, guess it stressed him and killed him. Was dead within 2 to 3 hours of using it. No more chemicals in the tank for me. Now I miss the little bugger.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chart is good, but still hit or miss. I have a Blue throat that's supposed to be a terror on the compatibility list. He's one of the most docile in the tank, and gets bullied by a Solar wrasse and occasionally my Naoko. The Solar has turned into the bully of them all. He chases my Blue throat and Orange backed. Generally leaves my Naoko and Exquiste alone.
Pirates Of The Caribbean Code GIF by Brian Benns

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just aquired a Juvenile Female Melanarus as seen in Photo below.... In Bag during QT aclimation.

Melanarus-Wrasse-in-Bag.jpg

Just want to make sure 100% it's a Melanurus Wrasse, whichi is considered reef safe.

The purpose for this Wrasse will be to cut down my Red Planaria Flatworm population in my SPS only DT.
I have no other Wrasse in the DT no worries about any wrasse conflicts.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just aquired a Juvenile Female Melanarus as seen in Photo below.... In Bag during QT aclimation.

Just want to make sure 100% it's a Melanurus Wrasse, whichi is considered reef safe.

The purpose for this Wrasse will be to cut down my Red Planaria Flatworm population in my SPS only DT.
to me that’s a female adorned (Halichoeres cosmetus).
Wrasse lovers, can you help with identification! Got him a few months ago with a PBT from a fellow reefer and I don't know what he/she is exactly. I figure a flavor of fairy wrasse, but I don't know which one.
20220115_123852.jpg
20220115_123900.jpg
Just you wait till he starts flashing!! They’re beauties. C. lubbocki is my favourite peaceful wrasse. That is the cebu variant, if I’m lucky I may get some photos of my 3” Cebu before lights are on (And maybe the indo). That line on him is beautiful (Wish mine had a line close to perfect).

Last edited:

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, I shouldn't even be looking at this thread!! So so much doubt now.

What's the differences between both varieties of the lubbocki?

Mmmmm... Even starting to think skipping the planned coral beauty and going with 2 fairies. Orange back and lubbocki perhaps o_O

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like a cosmetus to me as well. I believe any Halichoeres wrasses - except for the bigger ones - are "reef safe". My timorensis murdered snails though and he taught my chrysus to do so as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back