The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this guy is common but still so nice!!

Attachments

• B33C8657-82B6-47D1-8136-BB4DD74BDE66.jpeg
    B33C8657-82B6-47D1-8136-BB4DD74BDE66.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 8A517F50-2B62-4057-BBE2-1039255B6E9F.jpeg
    8A517F50-2B62-4057-BBE2-1039255B6E9F.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 164A52C4-4508-43B7-8F32-8B21B8D25069.jpeg
    164A52C4-4508-43B7-8F32-8B21B8D25069.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 47

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female spots are just about gone. He's transitioning fast.
Yeah he is, and I’m glad because it will mean I could end up with a docile male again?? Maybe the aggression is just the transition phase until they’re settled back down. It could mean I can enjoy the male colouration a bit longer and if he isn’t docile then Atleast I’ll have had a chance to own a male Jade. Her face looks almost the exact same as the male picture I found.
Crazy how some turn very fast and others take their time. Good looker you have
yeah, I didn’t think she would transition quite this fast. The face took a while to show but the main body colour is changing rather fast!
Hopefully my iridis if I end up pairing will be a fast transition. Has anyone tried to pair Halichoeres? If so, how did they do it? Just drop the second in as a juvenile and let the established one pair with the newbie?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he is, and I’m glad because it will mean I could end up with a docile male again?? Maybe the aggression is just the transition phase until they’re settled back down. It could mean I can enjoy the male colouration a bit longer and if he isn’t docile then Atleast I’ll have had a chance to own a male Jade. Her face looks almost the exact same as the male picture I found.

yeah, I didn’t think she would transition quite this fast. The face took a while to show but the main body colour is changing rather fast!
Hopefully my iridis if I end up pairing will be a fast transition. Has anyone tried to pair Halichoeres? If so, how did they do it? Just drop the second in as a juvenile and let the established one pair with the newbie?
The aggression will get worse as he becomes a terminal male; the attitude during the transition is just the beginning.

I've seen a few people keep two iridis or two chrysus long term but their tanks were 2- 3x the size of yours. You might be able to pull off keeping two iridis for awhile if you add a small juvenile, but be prepared to remove it in case your established one doesn't tolerate it. I wouldn't take the risk with such a difficult to obtain wrasse.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aggression will get worse as he becomes a terminal male; the attitude during the transition is just the beginning.

I've seen a few people keep two iridis or two chrysus long term but their tanks were 2- 3x the size of yours. You might be able to pull off keeping two iridis for awhile if you add a small juvenile, but be prepared to remove it in case your established one doesn't tolerate it. I wouldn't take the risk with such a difficult to obtain wrasse.
That is one of a few reasons I get wrasse young and female. Enjoy them before they become angry lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of a few reasons I get wrasse young and female. Enjoy them before they become angry lol
Yeah, I like my iridis and Jade as females (I’m slightly leaning to preferring the male colouration of the Jade). I would love to try a pair of wrasses preferably the iridis due to both the rarity but also the male and female colouration being beautiful and I feel like if I remove the Jade, the iridis will transition instead and I would rather have Atleast one female iridis over a single male.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse transition fast for me. My rhomboid was only 2” max when he transitioned. At first I thought because have many in small tank it was a fight to become the man but they seem to transition even in a slower pace tank. Maybe they are competing to dominate me

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse transition fast for me. My rhomboid was only 2” max when he transitioned. At first I thought because have many in small tank it was a fight to become the man but they seem to transition even in a slower pace tank. Maybe they are competing to dominate me
Wow lucky you! My diamond tail flasher did his best to keep my rhomboid from transitioning. He finally gave up when she grew to 3.5" so that's when she started to transition.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if not having a tank boss helps them transition
That could be a factor although my black margin asserted dominance over the Jade although it wasn’t anything major, it was just the odd swim by with fins up (Like what he does with the Lubbock’s now) but she’s now starting to show them whose boss.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good idea to mix a orange back with a multi velvet yellow band wrasse in a 210 gallon tank? Thanks
I wouldn’t risk it since they’re rather aggressive wrasses and from the same complex.
In reality, I can’t say right or wrong since I own five wrasses that shouldn’t really coexist, two of which are the exact same species and both males.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a good idea to mix a orange back with a multi velvet yellow band wrasse in a 210 gallon tank? Thanks
I agree with I can’t think. It’s high risk. If you have a trap or good at catching fish and watch for aggression then you can try but expect the worse.
Also do you have one of those wrasse now? If so them being established will decrease the chance.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t risk it since they’re rather aggressive wrasses and from the same complex.
In reality, I can’t say right or wrong since I own five wrasses that shouldn’t really coexist, two of which are the exact same species and both males.
Correction, I have 6 wrasses that shouldn’t mix:
Naoko fairy with a blue star leopard and a Pink streak in a 20g temporarily
Lubbocki fairy males (Both variants) mixed together
Black Margin Fairy with other fairy wrasses
Jade wrasse with an iridis (Currently not too sure if they will work long term but doubt it a lot)

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with I can’t think. It’s high risk. If you have a trap or good at catching fish and watch for aggression then you can try but expect the worse.
Also do you have one of those wrasse now? If so them being established will decrease the chance.
Thanks, I don’t have them currently but was thinking of getting them.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, I have 6 wrasses that shouldn’t mix:
Naoko fairy with a blue star leopard and a Pink streak in a 20g temporarily
Lubbocki fairy males (Both variants) mixed together
Black Margin Fairy with other fairy wrasses
Jade wrasse with an iridis (Currently not too sure if they will work long term but doubt it a lot)
I haven’t had the heart to put a leopard in a 20 yet lol. My flame lived in a 20 high for 5-6 months. He was a jerk when I added him so in time out he went. He gets one more chance

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I have a 75 gallon tank, and tomorrow I am going to pick up flame Hawkfish at my LFS. I have been interested in getting a Yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres Chrysus), and the melanurus wrasse.

I saw that the coris wrasse was available on liveaquaria, and it would be a great time for me to get one, but now I am picking up a flame hawk, and I don't want to introduce two fish at once.

What do all of you think that I should get, a melanurus or a coris wrasse? How was everyone's experiences with these fish?

Thanks all!

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your Jade still doing? I have a love-hate relationship with mine, she’s (Or should I say He’s) beautiful but aggressive
I am pretty sure he is dead, I have not seen him in over a month. I have a blue line wrasse in my fish only tank that seems to be doing well.

Back