The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped into my LFS the other day and they had a number of nice wrasses, more than usual.
exquisite
lunare
formosa
blue sided fairy
red fin fairy
lubbock
mccosker
and a nice banana wrasse that somebody turned in... nice fish unfortunately it appeared to be itching/scratching.
the lfs had it in copper. I've never seen one before. very nice, unfortunately much too big for my tank.
What size tank is yours?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I just don't see that many wrasses. Just the typical melanarus, six line, melagris, blue star, yellow corris, etc.

Don't see too many flasher or fairies, although lately there has been quite a few pintails in just about every LFS I've been in. Someone collect a huge amount of pintails, or is it just a NY thing?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I just don't see that many wrasses. Just the typical melanarus, six line, melagris, blue star, yellow corris, etc.

Don't see too many flasher or fairies, although lately there has been quite a few pintails in just about every LFS I've been in. Someone collect a huge amount of pintails, or is it just a NY thing?
never saw a pintail live or in any LFS here in switzerland.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never saw a pintail live or in any LFS here in switzerland.
And on this side of the pond, lately they are everywhere. When I lost mine a few weeks back, I didn't have great hope to get another. Went into 2 LFS's that day and they both had 4 or 5.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on this side of the pond, lately they are everywhere. When I lost mine a few weeks back, I didn't have great hope to get another. Went into 2 LFS's that day and they both had 4 or 5.
thats crazy.. the lfs here dont have alot of wrasses despite the 6-line and chyrsus.
I think wrasses are not a thing in my country. Nobody talks about wrasses..

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first pintail was the first one I had ever seen live, and the only one the LFS had at the time. But I went back a few weeks later, and both that I visit had numerous. Perhaps the wholesalers had a special on them that week?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got in a beautiful transitional male (I think I have a photo of him somewhere).

I found a photo after a while of going through different threads!
25407A96-DC0D-4440-9C9B-4140E05FEFCA.jpeg

also the Kwazulu that they still have in.
265A9BD9-D1E0-4D2A-BFF6-045ED7C67EFE.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting because everywhere I read it says “All female wrasses become males” I’m just hoping not to wind up with an alpha male Jade if I keep him, my melanomarginatus fairy doesn’t seem to be losing colours so he could be either terminal or alpha but I’m again unsure.

Personally I’m not into a lot of the male wrasses unless they’re fairies or flashers but even then it has to be the right specimen. Jade wrasse males I cant tell if I’m going to like the colours or hate them since when I search male colours for the Jade there’s many different varieties of males. I do like learning about the different types of males there are with wrasse but it hits a point where it’s highly confusing.

Would love to see some pictures of your chrysus and other wrasses though!!

What do supermale radiants look like if yours is a regular male?
while I am not sure if all wrasse are protogynous hermaphrodites, a lot of them are. The super-male is just a dominant male of the group. Most colorful. That is why some wrasse of the same species have better color than the other. I am sure interaction between the male, other males and females in the group have a lot to do with it. I have a 2X1 foot mirror that I often put up in the front of the tank. This help stimulate the fish, similar as in the wild when they have interactions. I don't leave it on for too long (hrs on end) to stress them out, but 30 min to 1 hr or so is good for the fish. This is how I can see a lot of my fish keep and retain their color.
For example: Blue throat Fairy have reputation of loosing color in captivity. This is mine. IMO, I have not seen a better color BlueThroat ever.
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg
BlueThroatFairy2019041301.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I am not sure if all wrasse are protogynous hermaphrodites, a lot of them are. The super-male is just a dominant male of the group. Most colorful. That is why some wrasse of the same species have better color than the other. I am sure interaction between the male, other males and females in the group have a lot to do with it. I have a 2X1 foot mirror that I often put up in the front of the tank. This help stimulate the fish, similar as in the wild when they have interactions. I don't leave it on for too long (hrs on end) to stress them out, but 30 min to 1 hr or so is good for the fish. This is how I can see a lot of my fish keep and retain their color.
For example: Blue throat Fairy have reputation of loosing color in captivity. This is mine. IMO, I have not seen a better color BlueThroat ever.
May have to try that with my wrasses then, especially my naoko since the black in his dorsal fun is slightly faded

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

May have to try that with my wrasses then, especially my naoko since the black in his dorsal fun is slightly faded
Might have to try it as well. I have read, that especially the pintail, looses it's vibrant colors over time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have experience with gold nugget wrasse Xenojulis margaritaceus? One of the local vendors had 6 come in for a very very affordable price. I really want one, I am just very hesitant right now because I know very little about this fish.
I did a search and several people mention that they were reef safe and very similar to leopard wrasses.

It will go in a 90g cube with some squareback anthias, checkerboard wrasses, firefish, copperband and a scopas tang.

9de1aVmSlOAE4WrHiKj_reHBUffGrFE7ycdV427muq16RsocRIrumdm5YwJEwcNTL6_RtgBrYNt1sScg5sr-=s1200

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have experience with gold nugget wrasse Xenojulis margaritaceus? One of the local vendors had 6 come in for a very very affordable price. I really want one, I am just very hesitant right now because I know very little about this fish.
I did a search and several people mention that they were reef safe and very similar to leopard wrasses.

It will go in a 90g cube with some squareback anthias, checkerboard wrasses, firefish, copperband and a scopas tang.

9de1aVmSlOAE4WrHiKj_reHBUffGrFE7ycdV427muq16RsocRIrumdm5YwJEwcNTL6_RtgBrYNt1sScg5sr-=s1200
I think it should be just fine but I know very little about this wrasse

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back