These amazing reefs are so underrated it's not even funny!!!

Do you think soft coral dominated reefs are underrated? (this one will make you think twice)

• Yes

Votes: 442 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 92 16.2%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 32 5.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SOFT CORAL DOMINATED REEF TANKS that is!

Why does soft coral get a bad rap? Because it's easy and a lot of the colors are brown? Well feast your eyes on one of my most favorite of all times and let's discuss soft coral reef tanks.

1. Do you think soft coral dominated reefs are underrated and why?

2. How many of you have a soft coral dominated reef tank now?

@MJC's amazing soft coral reef tank. See more of it here.
20200206_152823-01.jpeg

20200213_133835-01.jpeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think soft coral reefs are simply amazing... in someone else’s tank.

I did a soft coral tank one time. It was like keeping weeds. I am sure if I had stuck to it I may have found some that were not going to dominate may tank and become one note but then I got into hard corals and have never looked back.

I don’t care what kind of sw aquarium you have as long as you care for it and it’s inhabitants AND you ENJOY THE HOBBY!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, because personally I will typically rate soft coral reefs like MJC's former reef higher then other types because it's my personal preference. What I do think is some people don't differentiate a soft coral reef started by a newbie vs someone who has soft corals because they are their favourite type of coral. Guess what, I could replace my big leathers with acros. I just choose not to. MJC had a great sps tank as well, it's just the one pictured over was much nicer imo.

I have 2. My main reef is soft coral dominate, there are a few sps and maybe more LPS corals but there are some big softies. I also have a 10 gallon nano reef that is entirely soft corals.

_MG_4399.JPG

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks with at least some soft corals often look more natural to me. I don’t think soft coral dominate tanks are underrated per say, but I think some soft corals in general are. Most are one color, dull in comparison with multicolored stony corals. Soft coral tanks almost seem like a thing of the past or for beginners only. But I think they can be equally as stunning (or more) as SPS/LPS tanks. Mikes tank opened my eyes to that. Without a doubt the most beautiful softie tank I’ve ever seen. Wish there were more out there like it, especially now that it’s sadly a thing of the past.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I do believe they are, although not my personal preference, but they can be very stunning. I do very much love to see the softies the genital sway it's really mesmerizing. Color-wise I have seen some very colorful softie tanks, on the color side, some new very interesting colored fish have really changed the game for reef keeping and think can be added to splash color. chemical warfare is why I always stayed away from them in a mixed reef.

I do not, I'm a stick head, I love the colors.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOFT CORAL DOMINATED REEF TANKS that is!

Why does soft coral get a bad rap? Because it's easy and a lot of the colors are brown? Well feast your eyes on one of my most favorite of all times and let's discuss soft coral reef tanks.

@MJC's amazing soft coral reef tank. See more of it here.
20200206_152823-01.jpeg

20200213_133835-01.jpeg
My tank is soft coral dominated
Mainly because of my seahorses and I like the way my tank looks so far ,, it’s young 6/7 months

B4435D07-9A8A-4F94-A6A2-FC09C38C83F0.jpeg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes

They seem to be making a pretty big comeback.
I have been in this hobby and it swings pretty fast. What is in now isn't in the next year.

Sps all the rage then they were not. Then is was acans and then it was chalices. yadayada.

That is why I add to my tank what I like to keep and do not follow the trendy stuff.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think that they are underrated I love all corals especially once you get that nice fowing wave going with the movement of the water. This is exactly why I keep a mixed Reef and not just an SPS dominant

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I like my montis and birdsnest, I like the dynamic look of the GSP and Xenias a lot more so yes I feel that soft corals are underrated. I definitely think my tank is dominated by soft corals.

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I do believe they are, although not my personal preference, but they can be very stunning. I do very much love to see the softies the genital sway it's really mesmerizing. Color-wise I have seen some very colorful softie tanks, on the color side, some new very interesting colored fish have really changed the game for reef keeping and think can be added to splash color. chemical warfare is why I always stayed away from them in a mixed reef.

I do not, I'm a stick head, I love the colors.

Gotta love that “genital sway!“ lol oh autocorrect

Back