These amazing reefs are so underrated it's not even funny!!!

Do you think soft coral dominated reefs are underrated? (this one will make you think twice)

• Yes

Votes: 442 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 92 16.2%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 32 5.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is a mixed coral/macro algae reef but I have more softies than anything else. I have always loved the way soft coral sway and undulate with the flow. Who is not brought under the peaceful hypnotic spell of waving anemone tentacles or featherdusters? What's not to love about the ease of maintaining a reef where alkalinity does not have to be spot on, and where both nitrates and phosphates are not only tolerated but somewhat necessary. Water changes are about all that is needed to keep a softie tank in balance so for those of us who enjoy simplicity an aquarium with mostly softies is just right!

So yes, I think softie dominate tanks are very underrated!

Spencer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical soft coral tank doesn't look like MJC's. I answered 'depends' bc sure, there are nice soft coral tanks that ppl have never seen but in general, plenty of them are average or bland to the experienced reefer. That's true for tanks of all types (aka, definition of average).

If it's a clean softie tank with three large corals...eh, doesn't amaze me.

I do, however, generally prefer a clean, diverse softie tank over a clean, diverse LPS tank. I tend to associate LPS tanks (e.g. a ton of chalices and designer acans) with collector's who just have $$$ and want to run pure actinics. This brings me to my main comment...

The TRUE underrated tanks are those that are portrayed under more natural, or at least 15K, lighting vs. ONLY ACTINICS

Top-down pics under blue 'frag vendor' lighting doesn't replace a 12K FTS, where things are harder to hide.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love softie tanks! what they lack in exotic colors they make up for in; movement, ease of maintenance, cost, and growth rate..
C06D26AA-27CE-462B-A163-62AEDE462FCB.jpeg

91B9368D-0053-45CD-8599-42C4F08EF8BA.jpeg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many vendors carry a good soft coral selection and the good stuff is pricy. So they are underrated but also difficult to get in quality

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love softie tanks! I also love LPS, and SPS dominant tanks :D Still, some are better than others. A really well done softie tank can be absolutely beautiful.

In my mixed reef, the softies are some of my favorite corals. They don't give me the same thrill of success however, compared to successfully growing out acros or sprouting new heads on my torches and hammers.
IMG_3865 copy.jpg

IMG_3864 copy.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank should give me a hint of nature not the garden of coloured sticks. They have their place - but honestly coloured sticks that stands like drilled soldiers in a row all over the tank - is that a living reef ? :D:D:D

PA130001.JPG

This tank is 80 G mixed reef with softies on the background and to the right. 52 months old Run after the Triton method

Sincerely Lasse

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think new reefers are drawn to softies first because they tolerate "New tank conditions" that a SPS coral would not. I would say softie tanks are underrated I have a mixed reef right now.. My second tank I am going to make it a SPS dominate tank because of all of the tips and secrets I learned from keeping softies and LPS coral. Plus I am going to stock my tank with the things I like verses what is trending right now..

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so because I like all corals the same and to me the real art is mix both sps and softies.I look at them the same way I look at acros they are all great.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TRUE underrated tanks are those that are portrayed under more natural, or at least 15K, lighting vs. ONLY ACTINICS

Top-down pics under blue 'frag vendor' lighting doesn't replace a 12K FTS, where things are harder to hide.
My 56 gallon display is a very natural looking reef under natural looking lighting. It lacks the dazzle of some reefs but it captures a natural beauty.

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you think soft coral dominated reefs are underrated and why?

I think everyone got caught up in colorful sticks with fancy names (myself included). But I just enjoy a softie tank more. The movement is so relaxing! I have noticed that soft corals seem to be coming back in style. But in the end it's really about what brings you joy. That is how you should stock your tank.

2. How many of you have a soft coral dominated reef tank now?

My current build will be a softie dominant mixed reef.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many vendors carry a good soft coral selection and the good stuff is pricy. So they are underrated but also difficult to get in quality

Yep. Years ago when I started (2000) it wasn't hard to find various leathers large and small. Easily fragged and traded locally. Now I go to sites/LFS it's pretty zoa/palys, LPS or SPS frags.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Years ago when I started (2000) it wasn't hard to find various leathers large and small. Easily fragged and traded locally. Now I go to sites/LFS it's pretty zoa/palys, LPS or SPS frags.
I think there is one online vendor that focuses on soft corals and their prices and selection leaves a lot to be desired.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like soft coral dominated tanks so much better than sticks. Even when I dive the soft corals fascinate me so much more, not only by their color, but by the movement.
If you dive you will know that color in the sea isn't that important because after about 25 or so feet everything is blue and SPS resembles rocks.

You can see here in this shot I took in Bora Bora, it looks kind of blah.

Same place using a flash. But it is not natural.

I I have mostly LPS and my favorites were always gorgonioans. I realize they are Sissy corals and grow like weeds but I like them. I have a bunch of SPS that grow fine but they bore me, like tangs as just to common and they do nothing. IMO of course I know a lot of people love them. :cool:
Here the blue lights were out on the right side of the tank. I replaced them since then

012.JPG

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back