Thinking of getting a clam...maybe?

Simba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...My tank just turned a year old this past Friday and I have been considering a clam. I've done some research and will do more if I pull the trigger however I'm wondering if anyone can help answer some questions.

1. I'd like one for the sand however is my light good enough? I have a 65g with 2 Lumentek Pro 120 LED lights.
  2. I do have 2 strawberry crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, and other hermit crabs (small Blue leg, small mexican, and zebras) as my clean up crew (there are also some of the stometella snails that hitch hiked in). Are they ok to have a clam with? I read somewhere that said crabs will bother them however I haven't seen that info again so I'm wondering if it was just one persons experience.
  3. Other tank mates would be: Lawnmower Blenny, 2 Banggai Cardinals, 2 Clowns that are being hosted by 3 green bubble nems, and a Flame Hawkfish. Are they ok to have a clam with?
  4. I believe a Derasa is the one for the sand however I like the color of the Maxima's better...would it be better to stick with Derasa?
  5. From what I have read I wouldn't want one under 2 inches and to be careful about the snails that may be attached...Is this the correct size and are the snails really difficult to get rid of?
They are great looking and from what I have read they are a great addition however I don't want to get one only to hurt it and I don't want to compromise my tank. I know it's been asked before by others but I would appreciate any help/advice/suggestions anyone will offer.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I am not familiar with the lighting type so no help there.
2. Most members of the cuc will not go after a healthy clam. It's when the clam is in the process of dying that the cuc becomes interested. Never had Strawberry crabs though.
3. I have heard of Lawnmower and other Blennies nipping clams. It's probably hit or miss with that fish. Keep the fish well feed.
4. Maximas' do fine in the sand if lighting is sufficient, Squamosa also do well. You can find a lot of beautiful Derasa and they tend to be a lot cheaper.
5. I prefer larger clams, anything over 2 inches is ideal IMO.

Do not buy a Clam if you even see one pyramid snail on the clam, look at the base by the hinge and in the ridges of the shell.
The clam should be fully expanded, respond quickly to shadow and movement with good coloration to the mantle.

HTH

Last edited:

daniel16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams in my experience are far easier than acropora. If you have super bright light, they're pretty easy to care for and very forgiving. I only have extensive experience with larger crocea clams. Your lights sound great.

The only inhabitant I'd watch out for is the hermits, but they should be fine too.

I've never encountered pyramid snails.

Just watch your calcium and dKH, they really will suck it down like no other creature.

OP
OP
S

Simba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. My Benny eats the frozen food I feed the rest which is good but I can watch him and the crabs. I appreciate your help and I'll do more research and check out the two types mentioned above. I won't rush though because I want to do it right. Thanks again!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back