Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP
I just went in to buy another hanna phos checker bc I am lazy and discovered that I have been using the wrong reagent. I have the 736 phosphorus ulr egg but have been using the 774 phosphate ulr reagent.
Does it matter? It's been like this for a while so instinct based on weekly results is no, but gur tells me it does matter.
Any insight?
Ps all Hanna stuff is on sale at swa :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HELP
I just went in to buy another hanna phos checker bc I am lazy and discovered that I have been using the wrong reagent. I have the 736 phosphorus ulr egg but have been using the 774 phosphate ulr reagent.
Does it matter? It's been like this for a while so instinct based on weekly results is no, but gur tells me it does matter.
Any insight?
Ps all Hanna stuff is on sale at swa :)

look above... ;)

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're both chemically the same reagent in the same proportions.
Thanks Thank You GIF

I should have known to look on the tube. I appreciate the fact you provided the video and confirmed.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They're both chemically the same reagent in the same proportions.
I thought that's what I had read somewhere. The Phosphate checker does the math, the Phosphorus provides a reading?

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought it off the marketplace here the person told me that the soft tubing caused issues with the calibration bw in and out. And because I have such a long run to cover I would likely have similar issues. Eventually water in and water out would get out of sync. Volume wise. Not really a big deal bc it can be calibrated and it's simple to do. So I got all hardline tubing. There were conversion fittings that took it from soft to hard and that seems to be where the issue is with the loss of suction. So I could run all soft with fittings and see, but for me it's become more of a headache then it's worth. Especially since the way I was doing it was just fine. I wanted a fancy new toy/gadget that I thought would make life easier and it has been nothing but a pita. With all the hassle I have had I don't really trust the darn thing. Nothing against it just a me thing. Sucks because I could have used the $$ for other things but hey live and learn. If I can't get rid of it I may try the soft tubing but it will have to wait awhile.
Have you tried maybe adding in a manifold into your hard plumbing at a closer point? if the pump is peristaltic the water won't back feed a soft line and will offer ample mixing especially if tied into a return line.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried maybe adding in a manifold into your hard plumbing at a closer point? if the pump is peristaltic the water won't back feed a soft line and will offer ample mixing especially if tied into a return line.
OK now that kind of thinking is way above my pay grade here. Plus I don't think that is possible with what I am talking about but I don't really know. Thank you for your insight tho:)

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK now that kind of thinking is way above my pay grade here. Plus I don't think that is possible with what I am talking about but I don't really know. Thank you for your insight tho:)
Its more simple than it sounds. basically you'd add Some Ts and ball valves than glue reducers to the valves to match the soft line size

Building what I linked above to meet your needs (I'm a visual learner). They're usually used for reactors in the hobby, but I've used them on a large scale to dose bleach for cleaning membrane filters. If connected to the return line the water would actually create suction which is why a peristaltic dosing pump is a must since it pinches off the hose while pumping.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah way too much work for an auto water change system. I'm going back to the old way I had been doing it. But thanks and welcome to my thread .

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test Wednesday results.
78/35
Ph 8
Ni 25
Po .123
Alk 9.3
Ca 430 MG 1500 +6 drops
Hooked up the old wc system back up. Last one I did was with buckets at 10pm after job2 one night. Didn't have the new system installed but already tore down the old system. Never again.
Must decide on peppermints or berghias 20 buck a pop for the nudis is not giving me warm fuzzys. Maybe half and half. That's the goal for Sunday. Since I am flying solo to multiple lfs I cannot be held responsible for my actions.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
78/35
Ph 8
Ni 25
Po .123
Alk 9.3
Ca 430 MG 1500 +6 drops
Hooked up the old wc system back up. Last one I did was with buckets at 10pm after job2 one night. Didn't have the new system installed but already tore down the old system. Never again.
Must decide on peppermints or berghias 20 buck a pop for the nudis is not giving me warm fuzzys. Maybe half and half. That's the goal for Sunday. Since I am flying solo to multiple lfs I cannot be held responsible for my actions.
I warned my wife ahead of time last weekend. She didn't believe me. I only spent $20.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I warned my wife ahead of time last weekend. She didn't believe me. I only spent $20.
I am thinking a fish or 2 for the office tank. Test tomorrow to determine levels. Then change if needed on Saturday. Must research more.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78/35
Ph 8
Ni 25
Po .123
Alk 9.3
Ca 430 MG 1500 +6 drops
Do you keep a styrofoam cooler in your trunk yet?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back