OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad. I went to your tank thread. Your last post there on Feb 22 said you were using uv sterilizer?
No worries! Yea I just added one last Friday. I've got the Innovative Marine 20 and got their 9w sterilizer for the left intake. I had a skimmer after that chamber but swapped it for some additional mechanical filtration. Other side has the full media basket with just filter pad and carbon right now and a fuge after. I have GFO for if Phosphates rise too but not running it currently.

It's really not that bad, it almost looks like it's clearing some. I wonder if something got stirred in the bed before lights on. I do have cerith's that like to burrow

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For polishing water, uv sterilizers and activated carbon work best for different reasons. If cloudy is caused by algae spores, it will help clean up water. If cloudy is caused by excess bacteria, not so much. UV is indiscriminate in what it kills, it does not remove. GAC removes DOC (dissolved organic carbon) ten fold more effective than protein skimmers. Protein skimmers remove certain free swimming bacteria and according to Ken Feldermen research, skew certain bacteria populations which may explain old tank syndrom which is akin to a climax forest on land.

Protein skimmers are always good for gas exchange to enhance oxidation chemistry. I use robust surface circulation and cascading water to sump to enhance gas exchange.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For polishing water, uv sterilizers and activated carbon work best for different reasons. If cloudy is caused by algae spores, it will help clean up water. If cloudy is caused by excess bacteria, not so much. UV is indiscriminate in what it kills, it does not remove. GAC removes DOC (dissolved organic carbon) ten fold more effective than protein skimmers. Protein skimmers remove certain free swimming bacteria and according to Ken Feldermen research, skew certain bacteria populations which may explain old tank syndrom which is akin to a climax forest on land.

Protein skimmers are always good for gas exchange to enhance oxidation chemistry. I use robust surface circulation and cascading water to sump to enhance gas exchange.
Thanks for the info! I have the returns directed at the surface now with no skimmer for oxidation to compensate.

The water cleared up. I'm not sure if the ceriths were burying themselves just before lights on, spores, something else? I'm not sure. Also noted a bunch of my snails have been spawning the last few days. Usually that isn't enough to cloud water though.

Thinking it was just something in the bed getting stirred for now, doesn't seem to have been anything that stuck around. Yet ~~knocks on wood~~

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back