Thoughts on a skimmerless nano?

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been running an IM 20 with skimmer for a few months, I am still fighting microbubbles at times. I expect bubbles after a water change or feeding. But not constantly. I hate it. I've added some filter padding after the skimmer to try and trap bubbles but I still can't seem to eliminate them all.

I intend on running a mixed reef. Primarily Zoa's, Paly's, Ricordea Mushroom's and I wouldn't mind a couple hardier SPS down the road.

Parameters holding steady at:
SG: 1.025 (ATO holds it steady)
Alk: 9
CA: 440
NO3: 15
PHO: 0.0 - 0.1 (at most, working to raise as I am fighting some dino still. Using the API test kit and need one more sensitive I think)

Livestock:
2 Wyoming White Clowns
1 Tailspot Blenny
2 Peppermint Shrimp
15 Astrea Snails
5 Cerith Snails
10 Blue Leg Hermits (20 extra shells)
1 Mexican Turbo

Coral:
Frogspawn
Dragon Eye Zoa's

Both corals are doing well thus far, they've kind of been my guinea pigs so to speak.

I dosed 1 bottle of Apex Pods and one of Tigger Pods over the course of the past month as well to get the pods going.

Filtration:
Right intake: 1st chamber Media Basket (FIlter padding in top then carbon padding, then open chamber for GFO if needed eventually) >>> 2 chamber Fuge (chaeto) running 12hr light opposite the tank >>> central return chamber
Left Intake: 1st chamber 9w UV filter >> > 2nd chamber is the skimmer >>> filter pad at top of return chamber then to the return

Feeding twice a day, small pellets/flakes earlier with about 1/8 a cube of frozen and some pellets too. I do 10% water changes weekly, but am pushing that out to bi-weekly to try and get my PHO up a little. I was also changing out filter pads every day with this dino I'm fighting but may slow that too. Let the nutrients build a little.

Now that's out of the way, what should I consider if I wanted to eliminate the skimmer? Should I even consider eliminating it or maybe just try another one that potentially won't have the bubbling issue? I expect to see bubbles after a water change or feeding a little but it's pretty much all the time. I also reduced the flow through the return chamber to try and give bubbles time to rise rather than get sucked into the pump.

The skimmer I'm using: https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/BioSkim-DC™-Nano-AIO-Protein-Skimmer-p184821690

I've had the skimmer for about 2 months now. After 3 weeks I angrily removed it for a week but then put it back as I thought better of it. Just trying to gauge if this seems like a skimmer flaw or tank flaw. Then whether to swap the skimmer out or try another approach.

Appreciate any thoughts/input, thanks!

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a skimmer on your nano. This is often a huge misconception that every tank needs a skimmer. Yes it adds oxygen to the water and removes nutrients but there are multiple ways to do both of those things without a skimmer.

If you dont have a skimmer, point some flow at the surface of the water for some increased gas exchange, and do a 5 gallon weekly water change. Assuming you have rock and sand and corals and a heater and other filtration media in your tank you are probably looking at roughly 12-15 gallons of water in your "20 gallon" tank, making a 5 gallon water change roughly 1/3 of your tank volume. That is more than enough nutrient reduction , ESPECIALLY for mainly softies.

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to note, that clean up crew is super large.... I had the IM 14 peninsula and I had 3 astrea, 2 hermets , 2 nassarius and a cleaner shrimp.

I also had the same 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny as a fishload.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM skimmers are horrible. It's a terrible design, an even worse collection cup design and the pumps can be expected to fail regularly every 3-6 months. I've owned 3, so I unfortunately have experience to back this up.

Based on your low fish count, I think you'll probably be fine without a skimmer - especially with the refugium.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Cleanup crew was added to help with the initial algae bloom and cycle, once the algae is under control I will be rehoming a good portion. Doing my best to not let them starve, right now though there's still plenty to graze on.

I'm working on a water change system so the DT portion doesn't get too low and expose coral/ rock. Been going on about 2.5gal changes, may have to rethink if I go bigger.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried the IM skimmers before so figured with the tank it'd be worth a shot. Christmas gift from the MIL anyway so no real loss lol I have a second media basket I could replace the skimmer with. I may just do that and add a little more mechanical filtration to that side. Skimmer is pulling out a fair amount of gunk, so it does work. Just also likes to throw bubbles like mad.

Any skimmers anyone has used in an IM20 with good success and no bubbles? lol

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading more and more regarding skimmers, water changes on so on. The amount of water changes to saltwater tanks is an awful lot. I guess I'm use to freshwater. I really don't want the added work of changing a 3rd of my tanks water weekly.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change or RO top-up? IM makes a 5 and 15-gallon reservoir that's not aesthetically-unpleasing, and with a Tunze ATO that would be a nice addition.

I just saw a thread on the new Bubble Magus nano skimmer. The dimensions should fit, and Bubble Magus makes pretty good skimmers.

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Cleanup crew was added to help with the initial algae bloom and cycle, once the algae is under control I will be rehoming a good portion. Doing my best to not let them starve, right now though there's still plenty to graze on.

I'm working on a water change system so the DT portion doesn't get too low and expose coral/ rock. Been going on about 2.5gal changes, may have to rethink if I go bigger.
No harm is done, exposing corals / rock to air for an hour or so. I did water changes leaving torches / hammers / frogspawns out of water with their polyps hanging down. You should see how they handle these corals in indonesia when they are getting them ready to ship ! lol

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading more and more regarding skimmers, water changes on so on. The amount of water changes to saltwater tanks is an awful lot. I guess I'm use to freshwater. I really don't want the added work of changing a 3rd of my tanks water weekly.
it is more like 10-20% weekly to every other week. Nano size tanks usually need them more often than larger sized tanks with more stability. Freshwater and saltwater are just completely different beasts entirely

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all of us change our water as frequently, but that's a separate discussion.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IM 25, I've never had a skimmer. Doing just fine. =)

reef.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard nothing but great things about Magus, I'll take a look thanks.

I use an ATO for top off and have a little 1gal container plumbed into my RO/DI to keep it full. So far so good there!

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harm is done, exposing corals / rock to air for an hour or so. I did water changes leaving torches / hammers / frogspawns out of water with their polyps hanging down. You should see how they handle these corals in indonesia when they are getting them ready to ship ! lol

haha that's a fair point. Eases my mind a bit there lol

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a skimmer, but the skimmer you are using is known to be one of the worst out there (sorry, just honesty from what ive read). A tunze would probably fit and work better but again not necessary

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a skimmer, but the skimmer you are using is known to be one of the worst out there (sorry, just honesty from what ive read). A tunze skimmer would probably fit and do much better but again unnecessary

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a huge water change advocate myself, It was just the best option when I had that small of a tank. I just see these guys with an apex, that are dosing 2 part and messing around with different skimmers , and their 20 gal softie tank look like a fighter jet cockpit.... Why not just change out a 5 gallon bucket once a week?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the camp that believes you do not need a skimmer for your nano. Your live rock will do most of the work for you. Since you're using an AIO tank, you can probably find an insert with space for mechanical filtration up top (floss, fiber), chemical filtration in the middle (carbon, Chemi Pure, etc.), and rubble or bio media on the bottom. That should be plenty.

Water changes are another story. I do 5 gallons weekly on my 13.5 gallon tank. Many people do fine with more infrequent changes along with dosing elements to maintain parameter stability. But generally, the skimmer shouldn't be considered a requirement in smaller tanks.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the camp of frequent water changes can offset not having a skimmer myself but I always appreciate other point of views. Trying to keep this tank simple. I've done the controllers, dosing pumps, etc etc and each one added another point of failure. Going to try and keep this one as simple as possible, no skimmer is simpler and with doing 10%-20% changes weekly I think that would work.

Still looking into skimmers too though as I do think they are extremely beneficial. If I can manage both, all the better Welcome to suggestions!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back