Thoughts on multiple clownfish

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory- I’ve set up my first saltwater tank, it is currently cycling, plenty of live rock, open space, and hiding space. I have won two “grade A” clownfish and also 5 baby clownfish (slightly smaller) of random picking. They will be sent to me when I’m ready for them.
I had intended on the two grade A being my first fish and only clowns, but then won the babies and it has me wondering things. My intent with this tank wasn’t to have a lot of fish, a few w mostly coral and inverts. However, it would look nice with numerous clowns (not same batch presumably but related) in a tank (7)

Would it be possible to introduce them all together and have peace?
Are their things I could do to amplify a peaceful clan? Or is this a bad idea that ends in death for someone in the group? I’d be ok with getting multiple anemone but there would be an odd man out with 7 fish.

What are your experiences with similar scenarios? I’ve watched harem videos but recognize this isn’t the same as their aren’t nearly as many fish involved.

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (5) ocellaris and (2) black saddlebacks in a 150g. All were added at the same time. All were young and from the same batches when I purchased them.

The two saddlebacks have paired up and grown significantly. The (5) ocellaris are always together and to date show no aggression between them.

Disclaimer: They are not yet fully grown.

My understanding is that one (the largest?) will become female and eventually pair off with onemale. Supposedly, the remaining three will remain in a subordinate position.

This is how I've understood anything I've read on the matter. Of course, experience itself will confirm or reject the above theory.

(I have a VERY LARGE ocellaris in another tank that I've thought about adding to the DT, but pretty sure she would tear up the little clowns in a heartbeat...or at least the dominate clown in the batch).

Upvote 0

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (5) ocellaris and (2) black saddlebacks in a 150g. All were added at the same time. All were young and from the same batches when I purchased them.

The two saddlebacks have paired up and grown significantly. The (5) ocellaris are always together and to date show no aggression between them.

Disclaimer: They are not yet fully grown.

My understanding is that one (the largest?) will become female and eventually pair off with onemale. Supposedly, the remaining three will remain in a subordinate position.

This is how I've understood anything I've read on the matter. Of course, experience itself will confirm or reject the above theory.

(I have a VERY LARGE ocellaris in another tank that I've thought about adding to the DT, but pretty sure she would tear up the little clowns in a heartbeat...or at least the dominate clown in the batch).
I should add that I have plenty of space in my DT for the clowns to spread out. Plus several leather corals that they host. In a smaller tank, I'm not so sure there would be harmony.

I have a 2nd tank with two clowns and added a 3rd a couple weeks ago as an experiment. They would have killed him if I hadn't stepped in to rescue him. I was amazed how vicious those cute little clowns can get.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ridgeburyreefer

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I have plenty of space in my DT for the clowns to spread out. Plus several leather corals that they host. In a smaller tank, I'm not so sure there would be harmony.

I have a 2nd tank with two clowns and added a 3rd a couple weeks ago as an experiment. They would have killed him if I hadn't stepped in to rescue him. I was amazed how vicious those cute little clowns can get.
Great input here and above! Are said clowns in the above post able to host anything?

Upvote 0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saddlebacks host leather carpets. Some other saddlebacks (in another tank) host a carpet anemone. The orange ocellaris hang out in the top corner of the tank for some reason.
O-clowns readily adopt one area of the tank. I call it Clown Corner. There's no human logic for the selection criteria.

You could mix with a pair of Maroon Clowns and hope for the best. But IMO with 5+ clowns to start, you're likely to end up with three and some bodies unless you mix species.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ridgeburyreefer

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O-clowns readily adopt one area of the tank. I call it Clown Corner. There's no human logic for the selection criteria.

You could mix with a pair of Maroon Clowns and hope for the best. But IMO with 5+ clowns to start, you're likely to end up with three and some bodies unless you mix species.
I guess I was asking about hosting in a group scenario, feeling that maybe given something to host good be bad.

Upvote 0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i had 2 and the bigger one bullied the other one to death.

I regret not intervening in time until it was too late.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back