TikiBird's first SW tank (BioCube 29)

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOLOL! You are very kind to ask! Well I've run into some trouble...

For one thing, hair algae overran my tank when I had my blenny in QT! He's back in the main tank again but doesn't seem interested in the algae anymore. I think he got used to the pellets and seaweed sheets in QT. [emoji47]

ALSO I have always gotten natural seawater from my LFS. It's been great so far! But for some reason the last time I tested their water I had bought, it was super low salinity! I don't know if they're diluting it or what. I need to go over and talk to them. But I'm kind of nervous I won't be able to use it anymore [emoji30]

So that's where I'm at. Lol Kind of frustrated.

I just bought Vibrant and used it yesterday...so far hasn't magically reduced the hair algae. lol
What is your light schedule?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I turn them on around 8 am and off around 9 pm? But it also gets hit directly with sunlight because it is right next to a big window, which doesn't yet have curtains. [emoji15]
There's your algae issue right there. Try keeping a 8 hour schedule and maybe a curtain.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's your algae issue right there. Try keeping a 8 hour schedule and maybe a curtain.

I'm relieved to hear that! Thank you!! I will cut back AND finally get a curtain. We moved in this house last year and still don't have all our curtains. Pathetic. Lol!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relieved to hear that! Thank you!! I will cut back AND finally get a curtain. We moved in this house last year and still don't have all our curtains. Pathetic. Lol!
How are things going

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cameronh, you are always so kind to ask!! The tank has had some drama lately...the green hair algae was OUT OF CONTROL. @saltyfilmfolks was very generous with help and I finally am enjoying the tank again! I will post some pics tomorrow!
Always here to ask about your tank lol.
Pics!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e594c951f0479fbb066c7f2c05bf85c6.jpg
I cleaned my dad's tank tonight, looked really really bad before this lol.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo I surrendered my blenny to the LFS...he had become aggressive toward my nassarius snails and my clownfish! I have seen him attack them out of nowhere. I think maybe he thought the whole tank was his territory.

Anyway, I'm looking to add one more fish to my BioCube. @cameronh, ages ago you had suggested a goby. Do you have any recommendations for a small goby who would be happy in a BC29 and nonaggressive? The clowns are the only other fish in the tank.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo I surrendered my blenny to the LFS...he had become aggressive toward my nassarius snails and my clownfish! I have seen him attack them out of nowhere. I think maybe he thought the whole tank was his territory.

Anyway, I'm looking to add one more fish to my BioCube. @cameronh, ages ago you had suggested a goby. Do you have any recommendations for a small goby who would be happy in a BC29 and nonaggressive? The clowns are the only other fish in the tank.
I am so sorry that I didn't see this sooner!
You should really get a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp pair, they are really cool although you don't see the govt very often, but he does sit at the foot of his hole.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry that I didn't see this sooner!
You should really get a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp pair, they are really cool although you don't see the govt very often, but he does sit at the foot of his hole.

Thank you @cameronh! No worries, I've been bummed about my hair algae-infested tank and haven't been on R2R lately!

So the pistol shrimp are the ones that make a loud noise, right? I'm kind of freaked out by them (and shrimp in general. Lol My skunk cleaner I'm barely ok with). Any small gobies that might stay out and about more?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @cameronh! No worries, I've been bummed about my hair algae-infested tank and haven't been on R2R lately!

So the pistol shrimp are the ones that make a loud noise, right? I'm kind of freaked out by them (and shrimp in general. Lol My skunk cleaner I'm barely ok with). Any small gobies that might stay out and about more?
Well sure! There's plenty.
Just get on live aquaria, or blue zoo or any fish site that you like and check them out. All kinds to choose from and they tell you exactly what the fish does and eats and everything.
I just don't feel like looking them up lol.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sure! There's plenty.
Just get on live aquaria, or blue zoo or any fish site that you like and check them out. All kinds to choose from and they tell you exactly what the fish does and eats and everything.
I just don't feel like looking them up lol.

[emoji23] Thank you!

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a bummer of an update:

My hair algae problems in the BC29 are much better since I actually covered up the window next to the tank. [emoji15] Clowns are doing great, silly cleaner shrimp doing great, but I am so sad that my sweet tuxedo urchin is dying. He is my favorite little animal in any of my tanks.

I'm not sure what happened...there was the Vibrant incident a couple of months ago, where he dropped a lot of spines. I thought he had recovered -- he'd been moving about and eating -- but he's been dropping spines since then. I was hopeful that he would keep healing but then earlier this week he also somehow got himself wedged between a rock and the tank wall and I didn't notice for a several days. It was hard to get him free and I probably irreparably damaged him then. :( He's got some sort of white-ish/green-ish stuff on him and I can only guess it's some kind of rot or infection or something. Poor guy, I feel terrible.

Incidentally, ALSO in this last week, my son's betta of a few years died, which was sad. He was the first fish we ever got. [emoji24]

AND in my FW tank, one of the heaters malfunctioned and stayed on; I didn't notice in time and lost one of my favorite fishes, a German blue ram. Luckily he's the only fish I lost in the heater incident.

Anyway in both the heater incident and the stuck urchin incident, it was my fault for not paying attention soon enough. Ugh.

This concludes my update of my worst week in fishkeeping thus far! [emoji30]

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't get bummed! You are human. We all have lots of stuff going on besides just our tanks. You have naughty snails. I'm a little jealous.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get bummed! You are human. We all have lots of stuff going on besides just our tanks. You have naughty snails. I'm a little jealous.

Thanks @Katrina71. You are right, I just feel guilty. I started a new job this month and I've been so stressed about it. My poor fishies!

So you saw my question about the snails?? They're getting frisky??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back