Time for some upgrades

Cangin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a reefer for 20+ years. As such, I've gained the experience to know that the less you change things the better things do. Keep it stable, and don't much with it.

However.....

My tank has been set up since 2009, and other than a Raidion lighting upgrade a few years ago, it's mostly been the same. I use an old school Precision Marine skimmer, a first gen Reef Octopus CA reactor and plenty of water flow and that's about it. I don't dose anything at all and other than water changes and top off...my tank has been running pretty much the same for the last decade.

Two weeks ago, I sprung my first really nasty leak. It was in the plumbing/sump system (which is in an adjacent room). That has triggered a totally rebuild of the fish equipment room. Now, I'm out in search of the latest tech...the best methods....and really just putting my head back into the hobby full-force.

Currently, I'm really looking at the 'Titrion' method of reefkeeping using Cheato and 4 part dosing in leiu of water changes and CA reactors.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for signing up. Sorry to hear about the leaks on what sounds like an awesome, stable system. Good luck with the rebuild. Plenty of willing and able folks here to help along the way.

OP
OP
Cangin

Cangin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for signing up. Sorry to hear about the leaks on what sounds like an awesome, stable system. Good luck with the rebuild. Plenty of willing and able folks here to help along the way.

Yea...leak was a bummer. But I do love to tinker and I'd be a lying if I didn't say I'm excited and ready to do some upgrades.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM Bullet skimmer? I used to have one of those... great skimmer. A bit inefficient, and more than a bit NOISY! Still, produced well for me, back in the day :)

I'm going Triton with my new system. Just love the concept... big macro ref, dosing, and accurate testing, seems a solid base for a reef to me.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Cangin

Cangin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM Bullet skimmer? I used to have one of those... great skimmer. A bit inefficient, and more than a bit NOISY! Still, produced well for me, back in the day :)

I'm going Triton with my new system. Just love the concept... big macro ref, dosing, and accurate testing, seems a solid base for a reef to me.

Best of luck!

My skimmer may even pre-date the bullet series. But it is a becket-injector driven skimmer.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer may even pre-date the bullet series. But it is a becket-injector driven skimmer.

My bullet was a becket injector type, too :) Ran on a Mag drive 1100 pump :) Huge, and like I said... NOISY! More efficient skimmer design is one of the things I was most impressed by when I returned to the hobby after taking a decade off. Initially, I was also impressed with the new LED's... but now I'm back to the old tried and true... T5's.

OP
OP
Cangin

Cangin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bullet was a becket injector type, too :) Ran on a Mag drive 1100 pump :) Huge, and like I said... NOISY! More efficient skimmer design is one of the things I was most impressed by when I returned to the hobby after taking a decade off. Initially, I was also impressed with the new LED's... but now I'm back to the old tried and true... T5's.

This old PM skimmer tho....still pulls out the crap just like it did 10 years ago. Never a single issue with it, I only recently replaced the pump with a DC one to quiet it up a bit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back