Tiny anemone under rocks

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did some rearranging of my rock that's been in place for about six years. I noticed quite of few tiny anemone under a couple. I've searched and can't ID them. They've had zero light for six years. The largest is about 1cm wide. The rest are much smaller.

They kinda look like TINY mojano.

Sorry for the blurry pic. This was the best I could get because it's so small and my cell phone could quite focus zoomed all the way in. PXL_20210203_042939888.jpg

Here is another one that is smaller
PXL_20210203_044623197.MP.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pictures, are you sure they aren't sponges?

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pictures, are you sure they aren't sponges?
Definitely anemone type creatures. They have a mouth. Also tiny little tentacles.

Unless there are sponge type creatures that look like anemones?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i was looking too,cannot tell from pics,did you see any in tank before moving rocks?
if not hopefully something in tank eats them,just was not able to get to these??

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely anemone type creatures. They have a mouth. Also tiny little tentacles.

Unless there are sponge type creatures that look like anemones?
Interesting, I'm not familiar with an anemone like that but it's not unheard of to have anemones living in dark spots under rocks. Ball anemones for instance

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i can see foot in pics, but thats about all

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was looking too,cannot tell from pics,did you see any in tank before moving rocks?
if not hopefully something in tank eats them,just was not able to get to these??
Definitely none that were visible prior to arranging rocks. These were all on the underside of a large rock that I flipped over. Kinda shocked these could even be alive as they were likely in the sand for 6 years! Or darn close.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I'm not familiar with an anemone like that but it's not unheard of to have anemones living in dark spots under rocks. Ball anemones for instance
I actually think these might be ball anemones. I googled and they look pretty similar.

I assume if mojano they would come out from hiding in the last 6 years and made their presence known.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone reading this thread in the future, not surprising I thought it kinda looked like mojano. Here is a write-up on ball anemone:

Ball Anemone is actually not an anemone at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike the different types of Aiptasia, the Ball Anemone are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night.

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone reading this thread in the future, not surprising I thought it kinda looked like mojano. Here is a write-up on ball anemone:

Ball Anemone is actually not an anemone at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike the different types of Aiptasia, the Ball Anemone are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night.
Wouldn’t be off character to be a ball anemone under the rock for that long. I’ve got quite the colony of them living in my overflow that has absolutely no light ever.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t be off character to be a ball anemone under the rock for that long. I’ve got quite the colony of them living in my overflow that has absolutely no light ever.

Pretty neat little creatures. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back