Tiny Yellow Tang

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is Tiny yellow tang that I want to get and I mean 1/2-3/4 inches. I really want him but don’t know how hardy he is and wanna make sure he’s healthy. Please send thoughts if he would be okay!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't answer your questions without knowing

1) what other fish you have already?

2) what is your tank setup? Equipment? How old is the tank?

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't answer your questions without knowing

1) what other fish you have already?

2) what is your tank setup? Equipment? How old is the tank?
I have a 1 inch kole tang only been in 2 days and a small trigger fish.
Tank is 150 gal, and a newer tank

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the first issue is that this is a VERY YOUNG fish which means that the odds start out as less than 50/50 that it will survive. Secondly is that regardless of the size of tank, unless we are talking very large, there is almost always aggression if one tang is there first. Third factor is the experience of the aquarist. The newer you are to the hobby the less chance of success. My intuition is that you should pass.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A baby that small should be feed a few bites of food multiple times per day. Like five or six at a minimum. It should also be grazing on the rocks in the tank. If it looks healthy and eats in The store it has a chance. However I’d like to see it in a qt for observation and feeding for a couple months. Are you sure the display is disease free After adding the other tang two days ago?

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish I quarantined and the store has been quarantine the yellow tang, I’m sure the tank is disease free...

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Edub

I get the feeling you are just waiting for a combination of ppl to agree with your desire to buy the small Yellow

If its such a burning desire, go buy it. If it lives or dies, you'll learn from either experience.

Im betting the Kole and this Yellow will take up territories and the older Kole will win. Yellow will end up dead

Doubt anything we say will change your burning desire to buy the Yellow. So have at it.

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Edub

I get the feeling you are just waiting for a combination of ppl to agree with your desire to buy the small Yellow

If its such a burning desire, go buy it. If it lives or dies, you'll learn from either experience.

Im betting the Kole and this Yellow will take up territories and the older Kole will win. Yellow will end up dead

Doubt anything we say will change your burning desire to buy the Yellow. So have at it.
Actually looking for more opinions, thanks for sharing yours

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair.. they dont have an "im impatient and self absorbed" flag.
That’s a little unfair. You could say the same behavior is true of every tank build thread. Look at me, look at what I’m doing, etc.

I think where folks are getting caught up is 1) in the emergency flag, and 2) in the generality and non-specificity of the question. To the first point it looks like it was an accident but even if it wasn’t I could understand some urgency to the question because the fish could get snapped up any minute. I would simply advise though that people respond pretty quickly on here without the emergency flag and it should be reserved for rare situations.

To point number 2, this kind of general question could literally be asked about any fish. There’s a fish at a store I want, should I buy it? That’s impossible to answer. Fundamentally, if you want a fish and the price is good, go for it. As to how to judge if a fish is healthy and doing well, long forum posts and blog posts have been dedicated to this topic. The original post in this case didn’t really provide any details or specific concerns which can be addressed other than size. Does it look healthy, is it eating? If the basic parameters of fish health are met and there aren’t any specific concerns then there isn’t much to weigh in on.

I would say though that with the Hawaii ban yellow tangs have become more rare and a lot more expensive. If you want one and you’ve found one for a good price that looks pretty good, I would snap it up! I would QT and copper treat it because of ich susceptibility, but that’s true of any tang and for that matter any fish. I QT everything though.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be pretty stressful for you as a tang that small can hide and may not be easy to baby and know the status of.

However if I was you I would get it.

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll try to catch him later today...
thanks all

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a little unfair. You could say the same behavior is true of every tank build thread. Look at me, look at what I’m doing, etc.

I think where folks are getting caught up is 1) in the emergency flag, and 2) in the generality and non-specificity of the question. To the first point it looks like it was an accident but even if it wasn’t I could understand some urgency to the question because the fish could get snapped up any minute. I would simply advise though that people respond pretty quickly on here without the emergency flag and it should be reserved for rare situations.

To point number 2, this kind of general question could literally be asked about any fish. There’s a fish at a store I want, should I buy it? That’s impossible to answer. Fundamentally, if you want a fish and the price is good, go for it. As to how to judge if a fish is healthy and doing well, long forum posts and blog posts have been dedicated to this topic. The original post in this case didn’t really provide any details or specific concerns which can be addressed other than size. Does it look healthy, is it eating? If the basic parameters of fish health are met and there aren’t any specific concerns then there isn’t much to weigh in on.

I would say though that with the Hawaii ban yellow tangs have become more rare and a lot more expensive. If you want one and you’ve found one for a good price that looks pretty good, I would snap it up! I would QT and copper treat it because of ich susceptibility, but that’s true of any tang and for that matter any fish. I QT everything though.

You are right maybe it was a little unfair. However it is nothing like a build thread. The constant "emergency" threads because someone has a question they want noticed is just tiresome. Wierd accident but ok if you buy it I wont argue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 88 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back