Tips, suggestions, criticism appreciated

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting started with photography. I had originally planned on a 60D, but they were out of stock, and I am very impatient. Changed it to a T3i. These shots were taken with a 100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens. Decided to ty out Picasa until I get photoshop. I didn't do anything major with these, just cropped them a bit. Any suggestions for a noob?

IMG_0292-2.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An afterthought. Does anyone turn off their pump/powerheads when taking pics? I had to set my shutter speed pretty fast to prevent any blurring, which in turn, forced me to use a higher ISO... I'm thinking that may have led to some grainy-ness. I'm still so new to this and just starting to figure out the settings, that maybe I'm wrong?

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only tip I could give you is to practice/play a lot, photography is a hobby unto itself. I think PS is an excellent product.

Your pics are really beautiful.

Edit.

Yes, usually you turn off all pumps. I usually wait about five minutes or so. I use leds, and use the white balance option, to fix the color, otherwise it doesn't look like what it does in person.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try turning off the pumps next time and see how that works. I appreciate the feedback :)

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another couple, just cropped down more than the first. The detail that the naked eye doesn't see is amazing. I think I'm still having some focusing issues. I'm going to try tomorrow with the flow off and see if that helps me out any.

IMG_0298CR2.jpg

IMG_0299v2.jpg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a tripod? Your pictures look a bit soft.

CJ

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wasn't. But, my tripod came in today, so I will be from here on out. I was also shooting at f/2.8, which is why much of the coral is blurry. I didn't realize it until I cropped them.

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , your ISO is high , but for you to fix the problem you will definitely need to to use a tripod. Once you set your shutter speed down to 1" or more its impossible to to not get a blurred image, without using a tripod. Otherwise great shots. I have a question , what software did you use to put your name on your photos? Picasa?

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I used Picasa for everything. I think that turning the flow off and using a tripod has helped, but I'm still not getting what I'm after.

IMG_0341Edited.jpg

IMG_0333Edited.jpg

IMG_0347Edited.jpg

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots this time! Let me ask you , you said you have a canon right? Did it come with software called "digital photo professional"? Mine did, I know you were looking at buying photoshop, I use the DPP software and a program called pixelmator, although its a mac only software. Honestly , I have been using DPP for a while now and haven't needed anything else. A lot of the photoshop (the basic version for $99) features are the same ones that you get online for free, or in DPP. Are you shooting in raw?

Also are far as "not getting what your after" goes believe it or not photography does take skill. I always thought if I bought a good enough camera, my photos would be Just as good as the ones I see in the magazines, now I know that's not true. It takes time to get good. Just keep shooting you'll get there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I thought this thread was dead and gone. I have photoshop now... using it is a different story. I've got DPP installed, just haven't played around with it yet. More practice is definitely in my future. I take some pictures every night to build on what I found the last time.

Here are some pics I took night before last that I feel like are a big improvement-

IMG_0495Edited.jpg

IMG_0502Edited.jpg

IMG_0498Edited.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back