To anyone considering a red sea system...

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today has been one of the worst days of reefing in my ten years of experience. My red sea-250 system busted at the bottom seam spilling about 30 gallon of water onto my carpeted floor. I spent the whole day trying to save fish and my house. red sea is known to have issues with their seams. No surprise there since they are so thin and flimsy. Tank was in service for only a couple years, granted I bought it used but the seams appeared to be fine when I bought it. Even so, a tank lasting 2 years that costs as much as a red sea system is highway robbery. Just needed to vent. Buyer beware!

image0 (15).jpeg image1 (10).jpeg

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry this happened to you. Im always worried about this with my own 250. Did you have the system leveled since it was on carpet?

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of a second RED SEA but unless its Euro braced I am not touching it. Red Sea sent out offers for the 3xl 900 @ $1500 off but I just cant bring myself to do it. If I do get a new Red Sea it will be the 850 or 1000 Euro braced with aluminum stand.

Every Reefers nightmare

OP
OP
dontbuyxenia

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry this happened to you. Im always worried about this with my own 250. Did you have the system leveled since it was on carpet?
the system was leveled perfectly, I've seen Red sea use this as an excuse for other busted tanks but thats not the case here. Honestly, I have seen seam issues with so many of these tanks so I think its an issue with design.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today has been one of the worst days of reefing in my ten years of experience. My red sea-250 system busted at the bottom seam spilling about 30 gallon of water onto my carpeted floor. I spent the whole day trying to save fish and my house. red sea is known to have issues with their seams. No surprise there since they are so thin and flimsy. Tank was in service for only a couple years, granted I bought it used but the seams appeared to be fine when I bought it. Even so, a tank lasting 2 years that costs as much as a red sea system is highway robbery. Just needed to vent. Buyer beware!

image0 (15).jpeg image1 (10).jpeg
I will point something out. I’ve been keeping track of this or at least trying to, but almost all of the redsea tanks that I have seen a seam split on have been a used tank that had been moved to someone else’s house. I have not seen too many of the original owner having this issue just some food for thought.

slopigyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone reading this... go give your seams a check!
Even if you see a bubble you can still act in time to stop this from happening.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think seam failures are the result of constant high flow powerheads blasting the panels with powerful water current.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very sorry to see this.

I have the 250 G2 model. Which I believe has additional protection around the seals and a better cabinet. I'm careful when cleaning the glass with a blade, you want to avoid putting the blade into the seals. Although I don't think that's the issue with the breaks on the front lower, all the posts from the G1 tanks seem to be around the same exact place.

No matter the generation of tank, this is why I would avoid a pre-owned tank, you just never know how it was treated

Last edited:

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 625xxl and noticed the front corner of the cabinet top sagging down. Redsea offered to sell me a new tank or give me a new cabinet I pay shipping. I opted for the retro fit brace kit. I’ll never own another redsea

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank, mine busted in the same area a few weeks ago. Mine had the armored seams, so I guess mine was the G2? Well right now it is glass shelving in the garage.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back