To Continue Anemone-ing... or Not??

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone experience chemical warfare between nems or it it a myth?
It’s DEFINITELY a thing. My RBTA had my black widow running around the tank like a chicken with it’s head cut off. My question is, would moving the other nem to the sump fix the problem? They’re both still in the same water, but one would be in DT and one would be in the sump.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mostly anecdotal evidence. CSB's are the most commonly reported to have issues with other bta's. But beyond that, theres nothing established as fact. When people have issues after mixing bta's, they will move one of them to a new tank and watch it recover and call that evidence, however, it disregards the role of the new environment with different lighting and flow. These are not controlled experiments by any means. If someone has performed a more controlled experiment with mixing nems I'd love to read about it.

You find just as many people having the same sort of issues with single bta tanks.

OP
OP
First-time Reefer

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about chemical warfare with my two gbta's, but they tangle and touch all the time without much consequence. They do seem to fight for best flow position in the evo.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to run anemones, you must enjoy the act of not knowing things. These are VERY peculiar animals and will act a different way for nearly everyone on here. To add to the trouble, there is no consistency in data as to how to have them maintain their "bubbles" or act a certain way at all? More light? Less light? More or less flow? More or less food? We have 8 Bubbletips (4 bubble, 2 are stringy, and 2 are weirdly in-between). And they've gone back and forth between them all really.

I have noticed that younger smaller BTA seem to keep bubbles better than older bigger ones... but that's not at ALL scientific and I've seen some huge RBTA at the LFS.... so what do I know. But if they are HEALTHY... ie good colored, good quality flesh to tentacles, etc. then I'd say ENJOY them! We love anemones.

BTW, we have a carpet too, but that's not part of the conversation.

OP
OP
First-time Reefer

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said mcshams! I always have to remind myself to enjoy where things are with the tank and livestock and not obsess over little details. Anemones are super interesting creatures... I'm looking forward to learning more (and increasing my collection).

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical warfare is very common and doesn't need to be "high end bubble tips vs low end bubble tips".. Cost does not matter.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All of my BTAs are fine with each other, it seems, BUT one of my Ultra Rainbow RBTAs actually caused three Rock Flower nems that had been there at least a year before it to move. They got what basically looked like a rash on their undersides when they closed up from being stung & then moved within a couple days. I guess the RBTA packed a punch!
You can see the Rock Flowers on the sides of this rock after they moved out of the way. and from what I know, Rock Flower nems don’t really move unless they really, really have to.

Attachments

• 4FC4395F-FFB3-4BE6-AF4B-4D6F556638EA.jpeg
    4FC4395F-FFB3-4BE6-AF4B-4D6F556638EA.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 21
Back