Toadstools.Japanese toadstool.. weeping willow... lets see them!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a necessity to every mixed reef!

image.jpg

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep toadstool while using phosguard for po4 remover ??

Is that true if u use phosguard, u cant keep leather coral healty ?

Yup I used phosguard before I knew that and it melted them, my 9 year old leather I grew from a pin size frag turned to mush in about 1 week. Crashed my tank and I basically had to start from scratch. I would never use it again with leathers.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jap%20deep%20sarc2%20sm.jpg

"Japanese Deepwater." Actually not a good pic- brighter green than it looks here.
what actually is a japanese toadstool? I am wanting to get a couple toadstools. I want the type that grows like a wavy bowl and dosnt get real tall I also want a devils hand. I have seen devil's hand called both sarcophyton and lobophytum. This is absolutely the hardest coral I have ever tried to get because most just say toadstool. Unique corals has a japanese, palau and one just called toadstool. I cant find any info on line regarding japanese or palau.. I would like to use my credit I have with them for a toadstool so could anyone post pics of a palau or a japanese and explain the difference? Please.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0473.JPG
I am no expert but it is my understanding all deepwater japanese toadstools have a green cap, green srem abd green polyps
unique corals i calling one japenese and has a green cap with orange looking plyps. Real pretty but so small I cant tell what it is going to do. How did your grow? Is it wavy ?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, all beautiful corals!!! Love them. Second I am on tablet, so this is hard to type. I will get pics of mine soon. Cannot due to on tablet and waiting for my lens cover to take some top down pics of babies in qt.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. on computer. Here are a couple bad pics I have. Cannot wait for all these babes to grow up. Had to basically start from scratch about a year ago. Long horrible stories beginning with a tank move and transitioning from a gorgonia tank.
Anyway, I will get some pics of my qt corals when I can. I am super excited about a yellow toadstool in qt. Got in last week. Very nice so far.
My white one was one of my first corals. It grew to the monsterous picture last. Then "see above" it is now only 4" across. Others are tiny. The second pic is a fibre toadstool. Super cool very fine polyps. Last is the green Japanese weep willow, although it may not be weeping. Cannot remember. Still small tentacles.

small white.jpg small fibre.jpg small green long.jpg IMG_4898.JPG

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what actually is a japanese toadstool? I am wanting to get a couple toadstools. I want the type that grows like a wavy bowl and dosnt get real tall I also want a devils hand. I have seen devil's hand called both sarcophyton and lobophytum. This is absolutely the hardest coral I have ever tried to get because most just say toadstool. Unique corals has a japanese, palau and one just called toadstool. I cant find any info on line regarding japanese or palau.. I would like to use my credit I have with them for a toadstool so could anyone post pics of a palau or a japanese and explain the difference? Please.

Ok, the correct genus for toadstool is Sarcophyton. Japanese toadstool is just the name of a nice strain (or strains) that has both green polyps and capitulum. Its neither deep water or from Japan.

There's a lot of different varieties of toadstools in the hobby, but most haven't been given distinct names or lineages, or even identified as to species. Japanese, Tyree green, long polyp weeping willow, yellow fiji are a few. The best thing is to see one you like an adult of, and try to get a frag from it.

To tell Sarcophyton from Lobophytum can sometimes be difficult as they both can have upwards reaching "arms." The best way is that if the arms only involve the edge it is Sarcophyton; if the are arms sticking up from the middle, Lobophytum. Lobophytum is sometimes called devils hand, although Lobophytum is a better name.

edit: I don't know what Palau refers to in this context, sorry

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the correct genus for toadstool is Sarcophyton. Japanese toadstool is just the name of a nice strain (or strains) that has both green polyps and capitulum. Its neither deep water or from Japan.

There's a lot of different varieties of toadstools in the hobby, but most haven't been given distinct names or lineages, or even identified as to species. Japanese, Tyree green, long polyp weeping willow, yellow fiji are a few. The best thing is to see one you like an adult of, and try to get a frag from it.

To tell Sarcophyton from Lobophytum can sometimes be difficult as they both can have upwards reaching "arms." The best way is that if the arms only involve the edge it is Sarcophyton; if the are arms sticking up from the middle, Lobophytum. Lobophytum is sometimes called devils hand, although Lobophytum is a better name.

edit: I don't know what Palau refers to in this context, sorry

+1

I have both Sarcophyton and Lobophytum. To reiterate Dan's point, I believe my Sarcophyton is a "weeping willow" but was purchased as a generic mushroom leather coral from Liveaquaria. I posted a 3" picture earlier in this thread 2 years ago and it's 12" x 10" now. The other is a green "Devil's hand". The devils hand is actually a year older than the Sarcophyton to give you growth rate ideas (Lobo in bottom right corner last pic). Both are reproducing in my tank. They can be very finicky if you keep a clean tank so keep that in mind.
IMG_20200319_143303.jpg

Devils Hand

IMG_20200223_155100.jpg

Sarcophyton

IMG_20200303_124754.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These aren't anything special, but I like posting pics.

This one is softball sized
IMG_20200407_203632580~2.jpg

This one has already gone nighty-night
IMG_20200407_203910394~2.jpg

Here's what he looked like a year ago. I target feed them both Reef Roids twice per week.
IMG_20190316_141355458.jpg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do toads all take this shape when big? Or is this a certain type? I want one like this in my tank but they never look this way when little
I want one like this too! Wasit flat cap as a baby? Also is it a long tentacle? Someone has one I might get that has 3 inch tentacles. I am fariad that would be so long that the wavy shape may not show. I like to get a long one and a short one. Great if my clown fish host it or it hosts my clown...lol

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got this; still small.
B6DFE7B7-A6BD-4C30-B689-364D0DD3BAD3.jpeg
This is beautiful and very similar to one being sold as an umbrella qith 3 inch tentacles. I has sort of a trasparent tentacle with shaings of green and has white tps and a pink base. I am trying to keep my larger tank a neon tank and my small 10 gallon a pastel tank. This would look beautiful in my smaller one but doubt if I could keep it small enough for a 10 gallon. The person selling this says its only 7 inches tall counting 3 inch tentacles though, and she says the cap is wavy sometimes depending on its mood. In th epic it looks flat though and I defiently want a wavy bowl!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back