Tonya's 210 Gallon

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always dominance that needs to be determined, so I expect that. I just don't want anyone chasing down and bullying fish to the point of sickness and death. Thanks for the feedback on the six-line. I ordered him because of your experience with the one you have. I'm hoping he works out. :)
He is going to love your tank, 210g is an absolute mansion compared to the little goldfish bowl I keep mine in ;)
9EC080FA-6F96-40D9-A63B-5774F8F43C91.png

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to take so many pictures to get a decent shot of him, he’s always moving around. He eats flake, pellets, mysis, and when I feed oyster feast he will try to eat that too! Every once in a while I’ll see a baby asterina on the glass but they never last long lol
584987EB-7DFE-4CBD-809B-4AA93325DF3D.png

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mastiffsrule , Here is the shot you were looking for.
https://studio.youtube.com/video/swhiXKeV5og/edit
As you can see -- his one side is damaged but the other is doing great.

EDIT: This is driving me crazy...I'm trying to post the video, but I can only pull up the link. I know it is just a matter of finding the right button to push. ;Sour

EDIT PART II:
Here is a photo if you don't want to look at the video.
1575415014193.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my new reef tennants finally arrived. I'm guessing with the weather, and it being the weekend after black friday, that UPS was a tad busy today because I didn't get a morning delivery. Understandable. My orange starfish looks wonderful. My coral beauty is so tiny that I fear for his life. And my six-line wrasse is dead -- croaked, departed, deceased, checked out, pushing up daisies. When I pulled him out of the container, I was hoping that it was just travel stress because he still had good coloration and I plopped his bag in the tank to warm him up. A half hour later I checked and he still looked dead. I cut open the bag and the smell said it all. I took a picture and I sent it to Liveaquaria. I'm hoping they replace him for me.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tonya,

Crazy over here. Couldn’t find the vid on AFV. Just a bunch of kids hitting their dads in their privates with baseball bats. :D

Bummer about the fish. I was not sure what your were trying to describe about his condition until you mentioned the smell from the bag.:Do_O

I couldn’t pull the vid on my iPad. I am not 100% sure from the pic, but is that a wall hammer? There does not seem much hope for the receding head, but we never know.

I keep the branching hammers. When I get a head doing that, I snip the head and move it off the colony Incase it has something that can spread. Wall hammers are not as easy to frag. @Flippers4pups is the bomb on these if he is around.

The pup, omg. 70 pound lap dog. Walks all over us. Sleeps next to me.My wife winds up sleeping in another room. She has dreams at night and ends up kicking me, or stretches and puts her paws in my face. Wouldn’t chance a thing.

Put some pics of your recent haul up.

D732A05F-6ED9-46B3-9BB2-FC0D09C0A538.jpeg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my new reef tennants finally arrived. I'm guessing with the weather, and it being the weekend after black friday, that UPS was a tad busy today because I didn't get a morning delivery. Understandable. My orange starfish looks wonderful. My coral beauty is so tiny that I fear for his life. And my six-line wrasse is dead -- croaked, departed, deceased, checked out, pushing up daisies. When I pulled him out of the container, I was hoping that it was just travel stress because he still had good coloration and I plopped his bag in the tank to warm him up. A half hour later I checked and he still looked dead. I cut open the bag and the smell said it all. I took a picture and I sent it to Liveaquaria. I'm hoping they replace him for me.
Jeeeeeez. So you’re saying the wrasse is in Davy Jones locker?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mastiffsrule , Here is the shot you were looking for.
https://studio.youtube.com/video/swhiXKeV5og/edit
As you can see -- his one side is damaged but the other is doing great.

EDIT: This is driving me crazy...I'm trying to post the video, but I can only pull up the link. I know it is just a matter of finding the right button to push. ;Sour

EDIT PART II:
Here is a photo if you don't want to look at the video.
1575415014193.png
I saved my purple hammer frag when it looked like that. CoralRx dip, then moved it to the sandbed. Has 4 little heads now!

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saved my purple hammer frag when it looked like that. CoralRx dip, then moved it to the sandbed. Has 4 little heads now!
I dipped him last night. Let's hope it works! It isn't CoralRX though. I'll see how he does and go from there. Thanks! :)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tonya,

Crazy over here. Couldn’t find the vid on AFV. Just a bunch of kids hitting their dads in their privates with baseball bats. :D

Bummer about the fish. I was not sure what your were trying to describe about his condition until you mentioned the smell from the bag.:Do_O

I couldn’t pull the vid on my iPad. I am not 100% sure from the pic, but is that a wall hammer? There does not seem much hope for the receding head, but we never know.

I keep the branching hammers. When I get a head doing that, I snip the head and move it off the colony Incase it has something that can spread. Wall hammers are not as easy to frag. @Flippers4pups is the bomb on these if he is around.

The pup, omg. 70 pound lap dog. Walks all over us. Sleeps next to me.My wife winds up sleeping in another room. She has dreams at night and ends up kicking me, or stretches and puts her paws in my face. Wouldn’t chance a thing.

Put some pics of your recent haul up.

D732A05F-6ED9-46B3-9BB2-FC0D09C0A538.jpeg
Oh, she is adorable. I want one.
I can't remember what kind of hammer it is. Some sort of branching kind, I believe. I was thinking of clipping off the sick head last night, but there is still a bit that comes out. I have an acro that I thought was dead and he came back and is beautiful, so I'm hoping. If it recedes some more, I'll get out the snips.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped him last night. Let's hope it works! It isn't CoralRX though. I'll see how he does and go from there. Thanks! :)
No problem! I left it there for a long time before it started to bounce back, it looked pretty much dead for a couple weeks but the polyps never bailed out, so I gave it a chance and I’m glad I did!

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah, I'm still peeling glue off.
Supposedly, I have a Salifert Ammonia test arriving tonight from Amazon between 6:15 and 10:00. I keep having my kids check for packages out front. I want to get the worry out of the back of my brain. I hope it is just a bad API test. (fingers crossed.)

You probably already know this or use them but if not just pick up some properly fitting nitrile or latex gloves, color of your choice if you are into fashion or bling, and of course powder free. Won't hurt the tank, full feelings in the fingers, thin, protect you from glue, epoxy, or putty. Even will keep the hair on your fair hands when fish decide to do a drive by bite session. Of course your cleaner shrimp, should you have them, will be ticked off because they won't know what to do with the gloves.

Also can be used around the house if you make meatballs, work with chicken, change the oil on your car, clean the skimmer, and, well, other things.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew. Ok. Caught up.

1st off.. kudos to ur family. It's awesome to hear the husbandry (whether they rinsed the vials properly or not) was done for you in a time where it wasnt possible. Its a beautiful thing when loved ones do whatever is needed even if they arent "that into it" like us psychotic enthusiasts get.

Happy belated 1 year wet! Way to hang tough through the ups, downs, and learning curves. You came to the right forum for information and help. Happy to have u on the r2r rotation!

I noticed u kept reading ammonia, and switched to another test and showed different results. Etc... what I wanted to touch on, was that u responded to the ammonia "spikes" with water changes. And that's a typical response to anything being off in a salt system right? "Oh it's off? Do a wc" right? Well, it can actually be detrimental to do water changes to deal with ammonia and nitrite spikes. The reason being that all the beneficial bacteria in the water column which is responsible for handling those spikes are being removed by the water changes. And thus, slowing the growth of the those bacteria and not allowing the full potential growth of said bacteria in your system. Sometimes it's better (within reason of ur spike) to leave it alone and let it cycle. If u keep removing the ammonia via wc, a balance of the bacteria and your bio-load production will never balance out.

Just my 2 cents on the thought process. I saw later the salifert test showed 0 or almost 0. So perhaps u never had a spike at all, but I just wanted to touch on the concept for future spikes if u do encounter any.

Along for the rest of the ride. Sorry for the coral and fish losses up to this point. Always a lesson learned in this madness we call our passion.

Best wishes moving forward.
Cheers

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew. Ok. Caught up.

1st off.. kudos to ur family. It's awesome to hear the husbandry (whether they rinsed the vials properly or not) was done for you in a time where it wasnt possible. Its a beautiful thing when loved ones do whatever is needed even if they arent "that into it" like us psychotic enthusiasts get.

Happy belated 1 year wet! Way to hang tough through the ups, downs, and learning curves. You came to the right forum for information and help. Happy to have u on the r2r rotation!

I noticed u kept reading ammonia, and switched to another test and showed different results. Etc... what I wanted to touch on, was that u responded to the ammonia "spikes" with water changes. And that's a typical response to anything being off in a salt system right? "Oh it's off? Do a wc" right? Well, it can actually be detrimental to do water changes to deal with ammonia and nitrite spikes. The reason being that all the beneficial bacteria in the water column which is responsible for handling those spikes are being removed by the water changes. And thus, slowing the growth of the those bacteria and not allowing the full potential growth of said bacteria in your system. Sometimes it's better (within reason of ur spike) to leave it alone and let it cycle. If u keep removing the ammonia via wc, a balance of the bacteria and your bio-load production will never balance out.

Just my 2 cents on the thought process. I saw later the salifert test showed 0 or almost 0. So perhaps u never had a spike at all, but I just wanted to touch on the concept for future spikes if u do encounter any.

Along for the rest of the ride. Sorry for the coral and fish losses up to this point. Always a lesson learned in this madness we call our passion.

Best wishes moving forward.
Cheers
Question on bacteria in the water column. From my readings bacteria live on surfaces rock glass sand rotting food etc. while there is a smaller population in the water column I haven’t seen any info that would contra indicate water changes. Was there a percentage of WC that you read to be a worry?
In my head we buy live sand live rock no live water so never considered the possibility of doing harm with a water change unless it was massive and done in a hurry without matching temp,salinity,DKH, Ca mag and such. Did a quick search but ineffective in finding out more on WC damaging bio filter share a link if ya got it as my curiosity is peaked :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back