OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of updates:

Got a pair of Banggai Cardinals. So far they seem smart or lucky enough to avoid the carpets. Been in the tank since Friday. Still quite shy and reluctant eaters, but it's nice to have some fish life while I try to source the clowns I want.

IMG_7168.jpg

Got a great acropora on divers den the other day, replaced the one I had on the top structure.

IMG_7176.JPG

Right side of the tank. Got a new clam, it's actually gorgeous, I need to take a top down shot in my next post:

IMG_7178.JPG

Top Right rock. Setosa is growing against the back wall already.:

IMG_7184.JPG

Left side/Goni Garden:

IMG_7180.JPG

Goni wall rock:

IMG_7182.JPG

Top Left Rock:

IMG_7183.JPG

Some new frags in the sand, waiting on glue to place them better. I ran out the other day. I hate reef glue more than anything, btw.

IMG_7185.JPG

Side view from right:

IMG_7189.JPG

Rightmost Goni closeup:

IMG_7191.JPG

Upgraded my frag Nuvo 10 to a Nuvo 20:

IMG_7192.JPG

And finally, a FTS:

IMG_7181.jpg

Been broadcast feeding Marine Snow twice a day, dosing All For Reef. Everything seems pretty happy and is growing. Other than the splotchy carpet which doesn't seem super happy lately. But with 8 other happy carpets I don't think it's the tank.

Nothing new on the horizon, hoping to find these types of orange saddlebacks:

IMG_7020.JPG
IMG_7021.JPG

That's it for now. Hello to any new followers from Reef Tank 365. Loving my shiny new badge.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few new pieces from this weekend.

Got a new Stoly

DSC_1730.JPG

Found a bucket list Glitter Goni that I love for a great price:

DSC_1725.JPG

Close up of one of the gonis:

DSC_1732.JPG

Left side of the tank, rearranged the gonis a bit and placed a few around the tank to make space. Surprisingly the different ones occasionally sting each other or try to eat each other's tentacles, so it's hard to place them too closely depending on the polyp shape/length. Little jerks:

IMG_7248.jpg

Middle of the tank:

IMG_7249.jpg

Right side of the tank, glitter goni behind the clams:

IMG_7250.jpg

Full tank shot:

IMG_7247.jpg

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe it's been two months since I did an update. Had some things die off, glitter goni didn't last a week, started to dissolve. Then I had some brown jelly take a couple of other gonis and other LPS/leptos. Tank seems to have stabilized though. I really regret not handling the flatworms early on. Now there are so many I'm afraid to do anything about it and nuke my tank.

Last weekend I got tired of not having fish and picked up a lot of them. Figured the carpets would claim a few, but so far everyone is happy and healthy and wary of the carpets. Fingers crossed it remains that way.

New fish:

green chromis
pink damsel
purple tang
powder blue tang (my favourite fish in the world, should have gotten a smaller one though)
bimaculatus anthias (quartet)
mandarin (hoping he takes to frozen or the flatworms, time will tell)

I also tried three other saddlebacks, but my clownfish got really territorial with them and I had to get rid of them as they were cowering in the top corners of the tank.

Anyway, lots of pics:

SPS rock:
IMG_8401.JPG

Top left. May relocate king pow monti. Doesn't seem happy there.
IMG_8402.JPG

BTA's are thriving, elegance seems unhappy on occasion though. And I need to move the goni to the right of it as they don't like each other. Also got a red xenia and put some of my fuge xenia in the main tank.
IMG_8403.JPG

Top right. Setosa is doing awesome and I love it.
IMG_8404.JPG

Male bimaculatus, chromis, and cardinal.
IMG_8470.JPG

Orange Saddleback and tons of flatworms in sand.
IMG_8471.JPG

purple tang.
IMG_8472.JPG

Anthias and space invaders:
IMG_8473.JPG

Pink damsel and anthias cave on the back right.
IMG_8475.JPG

Goni garden:
IMG_8477.JPG

Sympodium is successfully growing on the first clam:
IMG_8479.JPG

Right side of the tank:
IMG_8481.jpg

Left side of the tank:
IMG_8482.jpg

Full tank shot. Feeding tanks nori on a reusable zip tie. Best solution I've found.
IMG_8483.jpg

Hope everyone's tanks are well and happy new year!

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this little guy this morning popping out of a rock. I would imagine aptasia, but would like confirmation before I attack...

IMG_5418.JPG

Decided it probably was and even if not it definitely wasn't a carpet anemone or designer BTA, so it had to die. Used a heavy kalk mix and a syringe I just picked up. It got into the rock quickly, which also seemed to have an outlet, but hopefully I got the job done. Will keep an eye on the space.

IMG_5441.JPG

Also working on getting some real camera shots of the fish today.
Where did you get the cool syringe with that tip?

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Man, I have a carpet in my tank and my storm clownfish pair just stays away from it. I suppose the sting from the carpet is too strong? It gave me quite a sting when I accidentally touched it before. Any tips to make the clownfish host the carpet?

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I updated again. Here we go...

Stupid impulse purchase of the week:

IMG_9157.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

IMG_9124.jpg

I've always wanted a little lionfish and couldn't resist. He's still not eating, so hopefully he makes it. And while we're on the topic of impulse purchases, I realized the powder blue was too big for my tank and gave it away last month. He's in a great new home though.

Mandarin still seems fat and happy, although I'm not actually sure what he's eating. I do have far fewer flatworms, but I can't say with any confidence he's the reason:

IMG_9141.JPG

IMG_9161.JPG

Got a Starcki damsel that I love:

IMG_9132.JPG

And a purple psuedochromis:

IMG_9125.JPG

Got an awesome coco worm for $50:

IMG_9123.jpg

Love this clam from the top:

IMG_9139.JPG

BTA's are growing:

IMG_9138.JPG

Porcelain crab in the splotchy carpet:

IMG_9146.JPG

Full tank shot:

IMG_9122.jpg

Left Side:

IMG_9149.JPG

Left:

IMG_9135.JPG

Middle:

IMG_9136.JPG

Right:

IMG_9137.JPG

Right Side:

IMG_9148.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update...things are looking great.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose I'm overdue for a quarantine update.

My setosa, which I love got attacked by a hitchhiker limpet, which I never realized would do much damage. But you can see what it did in the back right of the coral before I caught it one morning.
IMG_9597.JPG

Here it is relocated to the fuge. It was hard as hell to pull off the coral.
IMG_9598.JPG

And about a week later here is the setosa before the lights came on one morning just disintegrating. This one really ticked me off, that coral had grown a lot and I loved the colour. Once I saw this I pulled it out completely before waiting for the lights to come on or to see if maybe it could be saved as a frag. I was just upset and figured it was a gonner.
IMG_9666.JPG

Got a nudi to take care of my snails, which are all gone now. I am going to buy a sponge for it to eat soon and love the colour.
IMG_9682.JPG

Clam top down. Got a reef rax clam jammer for my larger one to stop it from always being on it's side. So far so great.
IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_9770.JPG

Stupid impulse purchase:
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 5.40.49 PM.png

It now lives in the sump after it was destroying my corals. I was hoping it wouldn't be much of a nipper as it's a dream fish, and I was willing to sacrifice some corals to have one. But it was demolishing my trachy and the final straw was my looney toons stylo.

Also went to war with the tank two days ago to get my purple tang out because it kept picking on my trachy, which I think it learned from the emperor angel. I realized I like the coral more than the fish, so at the moment this one lives in the filter. I feel kinda bad because the fish and my saddleback seemed to be friends.
IMG_9745.JPG

Goni/trachy garden
IMG_9786.JPG

Right side of the tank
IMG_9787.JPG

Middle. Pectinias have grown a lot. The upper stylo got picked on by the emperor a lot, but should recover. It has been growing otherwise.
IMG_9788.JPG

Right side top back, clove polyps are coming back. I lost most of them when I treated for bryopsis which was growing amongst the clove patch.
IMG_9789.JPG

Left top back, tubbs stilleta isn't doing great. And the orange monti took a turn for the worst, but seems to be holding on and getting a little better. Definitely done with new SPS in this tank though.
IMG_9790.JPG

Gonis just before LPS feed time.
IMG_9793.JPG

Rainbow Trachy
IMG_9794.JPG

Top down
IMG_9795.JPG

Full tank shot after LPS target feeding, which I try to do once or twice a week
IMG_9800.JPG

Closeup of red carpet and crab/shrimp.
IMG_9803.JPG

Full tank top down shot
IMG_9796.JPG

Full tank shot:
IMG_9798.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, your aquarium is stunning! This is what I plan to do with my tank, except instead of carpets, I'll be doing long tentacles.
Very inspiring tank man, keep up the good work! Good day and God bless you!

MrNYCeGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tank looks even better in person! It makes any reef keeper jealous. Check out the growth of sympodium on the clam shells...really awesome touch. You’ve got to post about your mandarin...that thing is one of the biggest I’ve seen in the hobby!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy beautiful nems. After they ate so many of my fish (including a magnificent foxface), I gave them their own tank. They have a few corals and btas, but just saddlebacks for them. I love the colors, but cannot break the budget on those babies. Yours are amazing!

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the more kooky dooks tanks I’ve ever seen. Stunning.
Almost no rock now! Gorgeous.

did you have any nem losses? Carpets aren’t trivial to keep right? losses of other inhabitants?
Could you share more about the water Parms, equipment, feeding and testing and dosing regimes?

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you have any nem losses? Carpets aren’t trivial to keep right? losses of other inhabitants?
Could you share more about the water Parms, equipment, feeding and testing and dosing regimes?

I had one carpet loss a while back. It wasn't in the best shape when I got it and eventually it just died. But I have 8 in the tank at the moment that have been in great shape for the better part of 6 months, so I'm confident that one death wasn't my fault.

Having said that, I do think that there are too many carpets in the tank and there is likely some chemical conflict between them. Lately mine shrink/close up quite often and some are far smaller than they used to be. So I may downsize. I actually just pulled out the splotchy carpet and have it holding in the refugium until I can sell it to start.

I have lost other fish to the carpets for sure. I didn't realize it until after the fact, but when I attacked my tank to pull out the purple tang the other day I lost a sunburst anthias and a female bimaculatus. They just disappeared. Fortunately I've been lucky and my fish seem to be pretty good at avoiding the carpets left to their own devices. I do turn all of my circulation pumps off at night though to make life easier for them.

Solid question about dosing and feeding and testing. I've been slacking posting about that stuff.

I'm terrible at testing and realistically only do it about once every two months. I know, shame on me. Measurements as of today:

Nitrate: 2
Calcium: 420
Alk: 7.3
Magnesium: 1250

Other than my Alk being low, I'm happy with all of that. I ordered some Red Sea alkalinity to dose going forward. Otherwise here is my tank "stuff":

IMG_9867.jpg

I also use kalkwasser in my ATO, although I slacked on adding it for a while. I feed two or three times a day with Rod's, often soaked in reef snow for the corals, even though the rods food is meant to have that stuff already. Zootinic single pump once a day. Try to spot feed my LPS with Reef Chili twice a week. Acropower maybe 15ml two or three times a week. All for reef 25ml every couple of days. A- and K+ maybe 10ml once a week. Maybe once a week a decent amount of PhytoChrom broadcast. Sporadically I'll run carbon in a bag in the filter. Poly Filter gets thrown in on occasion also.

Every couple of months I also try to do a 25% water change, which I'm making water for now:

IMG_9868.jpg

IMG_9869.JPG

Filtration is fairly straightforward. Clarisea is pretty amazing and the rolls last me about 10 weeks. Also no complaints about my red sea skimmer.
IMG_9871.jpg

Here is the full sump with a middle refugium compartment and two bio blocks on the left. I use it to throw stuff from the main tank when necessary. So at the moment some sympodium and xenia growing. Also a purple tang, emperor angel, and the splotchy carpet until I can find them homes.

IMG_9870.jpg

Chaeto grows pretty quickly so I keep it weighed down with egg crate in between harvesting (throwing away).

IMG_9872.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an awesome reef! It's also our Reef Of The Day today! More updates please! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back