Too many fish or good to go ??

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump
It’ll be a mixed reef when I’m finished adding corals and fish
Anyway I wanted to ask opinions on my plans for the fish I’d like to add the ones with checks have already been added the rest I plan to add over the next several months after they’ve been quarantined
h list, I had 3 pj cardinal fish and lost one but want to add 2-3 more making a total of 4-5 and wasn’t sure if that’s too many(I like the idea of them schooling)

• Royal gramma
  • Pair of designer clowns
  • Sixline wrasse
  • Watchman goby/pistol shrimp
  • Tailspot / Midas /lawnmower
  • PJ Cardinal (4-5)
Foxface

Coral beauty

Yellow Coris

Carpenter wrasse

Red velvet

Scott’s

Naoko

Blue spot sawfish

Mandarin

Purple tang

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you have all 3 of those blennies or are you trying to choose between the 3 ? If you have all 3, then your top list has 12-13 fish for a 90 gallon(considering a sump is never full, I wouldn't count it towards size of tank). Even if it's one blend, your still at 10-12 fish(albeit mostly small).
I've never had that many wrasses, let alone in one tank lol. Not sure how they'd all play along in that size tank. Six-lines can be aggressive for their size. Purple tangs can be huge bullies(mine rules the 265 gal). Full grown tang or foxface may be cramped with all of the other fish. Coral beauty could be another one to give problems with everything else in the tank(fish and coral).
Your list is about double what I have in my 265 gal (which has dual 55 gal plumbed in line underneath, one being full fledged refugium), and I feel my tank is crowded. And my tank is about three times the size. I know many load their tanks full of fish, but I think you'll be spending all that money to potentially lose fish one at a time due to aggression and stress. If it were me (and it's not lol), I would reconsider your list for that size tank.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you have all 3 of those blennies or are you trying to choose between the 3 ? If you have all 3, then your top list has 12-13 fish for a 90 gallon(considering a sump is never full, I wouldn't count it towards size of tank). Even if it's one blend, your still at 10-12 fish(albeit mostly small).
I've never had that many wrasses, let alone in one tank lol. Not sure how they'd all play along in that size tank. Six-lines can be aggressive for their size. Purple tangs can be huge bullies(mine rules the 265 gal). Full grown tang or foxface may be cramped with all of the other fish. Coral beauty could be another one to give problems with everything else in the tank(fish and coral).
Your list is about double what I have in my 265 gal (which has dual 55 gal plumbed in line underneath, one being full fledged refugium), and I feel my tank is crowded. And my tank is about three times the size. I know many load their tanks full of fish, but I think you'll be spending all that money to potentially lose fish one at a time due to aggression and stress. If it were me (and it's not lol), I would reconsider your list for that size tank.
So if I stick to just two pj cardinals and 2 blennies move the 6 line into a different tank I could possibly add the foxface, 2 of the wrasses and the mandarin ?

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would be a safer, less stressful bet. Just be sure to be educated on feeding habits for a mandarin. Some have been able to get them to eat prepared foods. If not careful, they could slowly starve.
I have a coris and red-headed fairy wrasse together. They hardly acknowledge one another. My mimic tang and purple showed aggression to each other in the 125, but both have been perfectly content in the 265. If wanting a tang, maybe look at some that are thought of as being more passive. Purples are pretty, but man, they sure can have an attitude. Mine has at times tried to stick me while doing maintenance. Almost as bad as the pair of clowns I used to have lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump
It’ll be a mixed reef when I’m finished adding corals and fish
Anyway I wanted to ask opinions on my plans for the fish I’d like to add the ones with checks have already been added the rest I plan to add over the next several months after they’ve been quarantined
h list, I had 3 pj cardinal fish and lost one but want to add 2-3 more making a total of 4-5 and wasn’t sure if that’s too many(I like the idea of them schooling)

• Royal gramma
  • Sixline wrasse
  • Tailspot / Midas /lawnmower
  • PJ Cardinal (4-5)
Foxface

Coral beauty

Yellow Coris

Carpenter wrasse

Red velvet

Scott’s

Naoko

Blue spot sawfish

Mandarin

Purple tang
If I’m correct, the ones with bullet points are the ones you have, if so then IME the Aussie Scott’s wrasses are more docile than the others, Purple tangs in 4’ tanks is just too small IMHO. A red velvet and Scott’s would go down hill since they get both similar size and their body shapes are similar, the naoko and Scott’s should be okay. A Scott’s and Flasher wrasse would be risky but hey, you never learn without trial and error! Coris wrasse - Depends which because two of the Halichoeres wrasses get called corks wrasse but aren’t coris wrasses. A foxface could work is it’s the smaller ones, be careful they aren’t always 100% reef safe, however most tend to be reef safe (I would say 95% of the time they are reef safe) and can go after zoas, the smaller ones are:
- Siganus vulpinus - This foxface has an 8” max size
- Siganus magnificus - This foxface has a 9” max size.
Mandarins and Coris wrasses (Depending on which it is) rarely go well because they both tend to peck at pods and also the wrasse in the genus Coris are the true coris wrasse and can get HUGE and are very active. Coral beautys aren’t always 100% reef safe it’s more of a 50/50 with if it isn’t reef safe or if it is reef safe.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would be a safer, less stressful bet. Just be sure to be educated on feeding habits for a mandarin. Some have been able to get them to eat prepared foods. If not careful, they could slowly starve.
I have a coris and red-headed fairy wrasse together. They hardly acknowledge one another. My mimic tang and purple showed aggression to each other in the 125, but both have been perfectly content in the 265. If wanting a tang, maybe look at some that are thought of as being more passive. Purples are pretty, but man, they sure can have an attitude. Mine has at times tried to stick me while doing maintenance. Almost as bad as the pair of clowns I used to have lol.
I’m waiting until last to add the mandarin and hoping to have a good amount of copapods by the time it’s added.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the most peaceful tang is the convict as they don’t have the scalpels that others do have however they need Atleast 5’ of swim room

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m correct, the ones with bullet points are the ones you have, if so then IME the Aussie Scott’s wrasses are more docile than the others, Purple tangs in 4’ tanks is just too small IMHO. A red velvet and Scott’s would go down hill since they get both similar size and their body shapes are similar, the naoko and Scott’s should be okay. A Scott’s and Flasher wrasse would be risky but hey, you never learn without trial and error! Coris wrasse - Depends which because two of the Halichoeres wrasses get called corks wrasse but aren’t coris wrasses. A foxface could work is it’s the smaller ones, be careful they aren’t always 100% reef safe, however most tend to be reef safe (I would say 95% of the time they are reef safe) and can go after zoas, the smaller ones are:
- Siganus vulpinus - This foxface has an 8” max size
- Siganus magnificus - This foxface has a 9” max size.
Mandarins and Coris wrasses (Depending on which it is) rarely go well because they both tend to peck at pods and also the wrasse in the genus Coris are the true coris wrasse and can get HUGE and are very active. Coral beautys aren’t always 100% reef safe it’s more of a 50/50 with if it isn’t reef safe or if it is reef safe.
Thank you for all the information, I’d asked at my lfs about my list and they said it was fine but they’re also in the business of selling fish so I tend to lean more towards the advice I’ve been given here.
I know I’ve always wanted a foxface so I’m definitely going to try one and hope for the best which is smaller and less likely to go after corals?
I also would really love a tang and the plan is to upgrade in another 2 years to a 200+ tank but I’ve also heard if you want more then one tang it’s best to add last and at the same time so maybe I’ll hold off altogether on tangs until I have a larger tank.
I’ll likely try for the two wrasses you suggested.
Any suggestions for a yellow fish similar to the coris that would fit in ? My very first fish was a mandarin so my heart is set on one once my tank is established enough to supply one with pods. What about the blue spot sawfish ?
Updated potential list :
  • Royal gramma
  • Sixline wrasse (might move to smaller tank)
  • Tailspot / Midas
  • PJ Cardinal (3)
  • Foxface
  • Coris ?? Suggestions on yellow fish
  • Scott’s wrasse
  • Naoko wrasse
  • Blue spot sawfish
  • Mandarin

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information, I’d asked at my lfs about my list and they said it was fine but they’re also in the business of selling fish so I tend to lean more towards the advice I’ve been given here.
I know I’ve always wanted a foxface so I’m definitely going to try one and hope for the best which is smaller and less likely to go after corals?
I also would really love a tang and the plan is to upgrade in another 2 years to a 200+ tank but I’ve also heard if you want more then one tang it’s best to add last and at the same time so maybe I’ll hold off altogether on tangs until I have a larger tank.
I’ll likely try for the two wrasses you suggested.
Any suggestions for a yellow fish similar to the coris that would fit in ? My very first fish was a mandarin so my heart is set on one once my tank is established enough to supply one with pods. What about the blue spot sawfish ?
Updated potential list :
  • Royal gramma
  • Sixline wrasse (might move to smaller tank)
  • Tailspot / Midas
  • PJ Cardinal (3)
  • Foxface
  • Coris ?? Suggestions on yellow fish
  • Scott’s wrasse
  • Naoko wrasse
  • Blue spot sawfish
  • Mandarin
To me that could work - Just be careful with the six line and add it last because he could end up attacking other wrasse if he’s already established before them.
The watchman goby and pistol shrimp are a beautiful pair so I recommend trying to get them already paired
I recommend the Midas Blenny if you want a more active Blenny but if you want a not so active Blenny but still personality I would recommend the Dot dash Blenny (I have no experience with the tailspot)
The Pj Cardinals should be fine (Very pretty fish as they hover in one spot as a group)
The smaller foxfaces are:
- Bicolor foxface (S. uspi) - 9”
- Magnificent foxface (S. magnificus) - 9”
- Common foxface (S. unimaculatus) - 8”
Now that you have explained which coris you want, the yellow coris actually isn’t a Coris wrasse, instead it’s in the genus Halichoeres and is the smaller one getting to about 4” so he isn’t as destructive, all she needs is a nice thick sand bed to use for cover at night.
If you want other options for a coris then may I recommend Halichoeres iridis (Bewarned - They are notoriously bad shippers which is the only reason why they’re classed as expert only) H. Iridis is most commonly called the Radiant wrasse and iridis wrasse, unfortunately doesn’t have that pop of yellow unlike the corks however, these two wrasse can be housed together just fine.
The Scott’s and naoko as I said above should be alright, the blue spot jawfish should be alright too and so should the mandarin - The two Halichoeres wrasse shouldnt outcompete the mandarin.
The yellow wrasse I assume you’re mentioning:
FD6AF8DF-10A7-4ECA-A5FC-AE8832B7C5E8.jpeg

And the Radiant wrasse I think would be a nice fish to have in your tank:
image.jpg

Here’s a magnificent foxface (The one I have in my 4’x2’x2’):
image.jpg

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The si line is already in the tank but I’m considering moving him, I have a 28 gallon cube but I just relocated my maroon clown and I’m worried he’ll try to kill it. My other option is keeping the sixline in the quarantine tank, is that an option ?
mid id known I wouldn’t have gotten the sixline although it’s a beautiful fish.
What are the chances if I just moved my maroon clown to the 28 gallon that I can move the sixline now and they’d be ok ? He’s only been in it since last night and no chance to claim it as his own yet .
Last option is to trade it at the lfs.
Or I can forget adding others wrasses to my 90 gallon. Do they always have issues with other wrasses ? So far she seems ok with her tank mates

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The si line is already in the tank but I’m considering moving him, I have a 28 gallon cube but I just relocated my maroon clown and I’m worried he’ll try to kill it. My other option is keeping the sixline in the quarantine tank, is that an option ?
mid id known I wouldn’t have gotten the sixline although it’s a beautiful fish.
What are the chances if I just moved my maroon clown to the 28 gallon that I can move the sixline now and they’d be ok ? He’s only been in it since last night and no chance to claim it as his own yet .
Last option is to trade it at the lfs.
Or I can forget adding others wrasses to my 90 gallon. Do they always have issues with other wrasses ? So far she seems ok with her tank mates
So, funny thing - Maroons will keep sixlines in line and he can’t kill them, if he tries then he would most likely die. I would say 75% of the time they hate wrasses

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love them, I would not recommend a blue spot jawfish.

a) They are a colder water fish than the temps we keep. Research this. I think it is cruel that the hobby sells these for reef tanks.
b) They are jumpers like no other.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a) They are a colder water fish than the temps we keep. Research this. I think it is cruel that the hobby sells these for reef tanks.
Honestly, I agree with this - I didn’t realise a blue spot was on the list however, I don’t find it cruel on how the hobby sells these for reefs (The regular warm water reefs yes but some people out there keep cold water reefs and if I ever get the chance to I may start one up)

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon is gorgeous and I’m not wanting to do anything to put his life at risk, could the sixline actually hurt him ? She’s only an inch long

I appreciate the advice thank you

Attachments

• 4061220D-A832-4FBD-8287-9EAB80C90EC1.jpeg
    4061220D-A832-4FBD-8287-9EAB80C90EC1.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 91DDE654-5EFF-47D6-94C1-F1F027E971ED.jpeg
    91DDE654-5EFF-47D6-94C1-F1F027E971ED.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 16

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon is gorgeous and I’m not wanting to do anything to put his life at risk, could the sixline actually hurt him ? She’s only an inch long

I appreciate the advice thank you
I highly doubt a sixline would go after a clown, clownfish are the few fish that can be housed with them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that ? I’m curious why they can be housed together?
Now I just need to try and catch the 6 line, lol
It’s mainly because clownfish in small tanks tend to be just as aggressive as sixlines.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, funny thing - Maroons will keep sixlines in line and he can’t kill them, if he tries then he would most likely die. I would say 75% of the time they hate wrasses
Do you think a 28 gallon cube is enough room for a full grown maroon clown and a sixline ?
I was watching the 6 line yesterday and she’s one of the prettiest ones I’ve ever had
My maroon is extremely mean, he tries attacking the siphon when I’m cleaning and would love to get ahold of my hand or finger, lol. But he’s absolutely gorgeous.
Probably best to move the sixline now while my maroon is still adjusting to his new tank.
Phosphate is .07 in the cube I just upgraded the clown into, nitrate around 2, I’m thinking those are good parameters as long as I keep the phosphate under control

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back