Too many fish?

Cabo31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 250(54 gal) with 4 clowns, melanurus wrasse and laboutie wrasse(coming out of qt to go in dt). Want to add a flame wrasse with a female. Would that be to many fish? Am I pushing the limit in that size tank?

rizorido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I have the same tank with way more fish ! You need to oversize your skimmer and run a scrubber and reactor. I also dose Nopox !

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 250(54 gal) with 4 clowns, melanurus wrasse and laboutie wrasse(coming out of qt to go in dt). Want to add a flame wrasse with a female. Would that be to many fish? Am I pushing the limit in that size tank?
If your parameters are fine, then you should be ok to add more.

Beware of aggression from the labouti toward the flame. Use a social acclimation box to introduce new wrasses to existing ones.

Do not get a pr of flame wrasses, especially for a tank that small. Wrasses don't form bonded prs, rather, gender is determined by social interactions, essentially the male chasing and displaying to the female, which can be srressful to the female in a small tank. Also, females often transition into males in aquaria, even if a male is present. If that happens, there ends up being a lot of aggression between the males, that leads to one being forced into hiding, oftentimes death.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are fine, then you should be ok to add more.

Beware of aggression from the labouti toward the flame. Use a social acclimation box to introduce new wrasses to existing ones.

Do not get a pr of flame wrasses, especially for a tank that small. Wrasses don't form bonded prs, rather, gender is determined by social interactions, essentially the male chasing and displaying to the female, which can be srressful to the female in a small tank. Also, females often transition into males in aquaria, even if a male is present. If that happens, there ends up being a lot of aggression between the males, that leads to one being forced into hiding, oftentimes death.
Again, I agree entirely

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back