Too many fish?

micinvegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just cycled my new 180 gallon with a large sump. I plan on a predator tank. Is this too many fish? What order should I add them??

Maroon clown (already in the tank)
2 puffers. Probably porcupine and dogface
Picasso
Snowflake eel
Dwarf lion fish (maybe?)
Dwarf angel
Trigger

Am I missing something that I should consider?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some bigger fish listed that eat bigger things, which results in bigger poops. Biological filtration will not be adequate enough and you want to make sure you have a good mechanical filter - whether that be filter roller, floss, socks, canister, etc - something that grabs that large waste and lets you throw it away.

Your fish list is not too much for that size tank.

Dave B

OP
OP
M

micinvegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some bigger fish listed that eat bigger things, which results in bigger poops. Biological filtration will not be adequate enough and you want to make sure you have a good mechanical filter - whether that be filter roller, floss, socks, canister, etc - something that grabs that large waste and lets you throw it away.

Your fish list is not too much for that size tank.

Dave B
I have a Red Sea 2500 filter roller.

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 2500 filter roller.
seems pretty good. id go with a niger trigger/bluethroat they seem pretty passive compared to the latter, dog face and porq IME get along fine (could also do a spiny box and dogface) the only thing id look more into is that snowflakes and puffers generally dont do great long term. the eel could bite the puffer in feeding and kill it, or itself. puffers also can get curious sometimes and that soft flesh on a eel doesnt hold up to a beak that crushes shells for a living. not saying dont do it just saying be on your A game and watch closely. a good sub for the eel would be a zebra eel, they are pretty awesome and much safer.

Neoma369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake eel and Lion fish will eat any fish that isn't larger than it's self. Their growth rate is incredible!

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake eel and Lion fish will eat any fish that isn't larger than it's self. Their growth rate is incredible!
Honestly lionfish are shocking with the rate they grow at, buddy had a volitan in a 90 for a year and some change and it grew from a 3 inch lion to one big enough I’m not touching it to measure he’s in a 600 dt now in a shop down in the Carolina’s

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably still have room for a couple more to be honest. Maybe a larger wrasse of some sort and/or a grouper or large hawkfish. Why go with dwarf angel? Why not one of the big boys in this tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back