Topoff water storage

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone using to store their topoff water? I am currently using just standard Rubbermaid containers, but I don't think they are food safe. I'm trying to reduce/eliminate any nutrient import, so I'm curious as to what people use, special or like I do, for their topoff water (I use an ATO unit, so my tub holds probably 15-20 gallons). I'm hoping if I can track down nutrient sources that I may cut down on my algae problems.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large (~35 gal) plastic trash cans with wheels work pretty well. Used them in the past and never had any issues.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid totes should be none leaching. Have you tested the water in your tote to see if there is anything in it that should be a concern? You could always get yourself a glass tank, probably used for cheap. A 10g. or 20H should not have a big footprint.

OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid totes should be none leaching. Have you tested the water in your tote to see if there is anything in it that should be a concern? You could always get yourself a glass tank, probably used for cheap. A 10g. or 20H should not have a big footprint.

Yeah I thought of the glass tank idea, but I figured I would check to see if I'm being paranoid or not. I may try testing the water to see what we come out at.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks on another site that I frequent use totes for various reason including sumps, top off storage, curing/storing LR, grow out, ect. and I never heard of any problems from it. Or there are problems and they are just not connecting them to the tote. That is actually what I was planning on using. Either a tote or a 5g bucket with a lid.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plastics can leach phosphates but I can not imagine it could be much.. I have made fuges out or plastic tubs and my top offs have always been 5 gallon buckets. There is allot of debate in the past if food grade plastics do or not.

Dave

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back