Torch coral mouth extremely open

WatsREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to figure out what’s causing this one torch heads mouth to open up like this only when the lights are off. I’ve had this torch for nearly 2 years and it just started happening.
Parameters are:
Nitrate- 15
Phosphate-.16
Alk-8.9
Cal-440
Mag-1450
Salinity-1.026
Only difference that I’ve started doing is feeding a different brand of coral food.

IMG_4021.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to figure out what’s causing this one torch heads mouth to open up like this only when the lights are off. I’ve had this torch for nearly 2 years and it just started happening.
Parameters are:
Nitrate- 15
Phosphate-.16
Alk-8.9
Cal-440
Mag-1450
Salinity-1.026
Only difference that I’ve started doing is feeding a different brand of coral food.

IMG_4021.jpeg
Possible that it wants to split.
Just keep an eye out.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible that it wants to split.
Just keep an eye out.
That it wants to split you say, but do they become deflated when looking like this? I have a torch becoming deflated, has a mouth like this and after a couple of hours it seems to be fine again and swaying around.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it wants to split you say, but do they become deflated when looking like this? I have a torch becoming deflated, has a mouth like this and after a couple of hours it seems to be fine again and swaying around.
Sometimes they go through that brief cycle to poop. However that usually lasts about an hourish.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they go through that brief cycle to poop. However that usually lasts about an hourish.
Yeah but mine doesn’t have brown slimy stringy stuff coming out its mouth. It’s also day 2 of doing this weird “I’m inflated, I’m deflated after 5 hours of light at around 15:00 or so and then I go back to deflated, to inflate after a couple of hours again”.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but mine doesn’t have brown slimy stringy stuff coming out its mouth. It’s also day 2 of doing this weird “I’m inflated, I’m deflated after 5 hours of light at around 15:00 or so and then I go back to deflated, to inflate after a couple of hours again”.
I see. Tbh I have never seen something like that other than the first couple days of acclimation.

Did any of those parameters swing recently? Other than that robust 1450 mag and the tad elevated nitrate-phosphate rest looks good.

I would ride today and tomorrow too and see what happens. Maybe you might have to do a dip on Tuesday.

Any temp swings?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow? Is it the same all time of the day?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Tbh I have never seen something like that other than the first couple days of acclimation.

Did any of those parameters swing recently? Other than that robust 1450 mag and the tad elevated nitrate-phosphate rest looks good.

I would ride today and tomorrow too and see what happens. Maybe you might have to do a dip on Tuesday.

Any temp swings?
No temp swings. Temp is between 25 and 26 degrees (celsius) and it "swings" between that, but I doubt 0.3 temp going up or down would cause this. I would also like to inform that I am not OP, so those params do not match mine.

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncans do this when they are about to split or generate a new head. If this is not the case, then I would say perhaps too much flow?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back