Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Im picking up my first torch coral tomorrow. Its a firefly torch and should be around the smaller size. I have a biocube 32 led tank I plan to put it in. I was wondering what kind of radius around my torch should I keep to prevent it from stinging anything? I have a hammer coral currently and everyone says they sting but he's right up on top of my zoa and doesn't bother anything. I have a free corner I can place the torch in but I hate to do that to such a pretty coral. I have a place in the front of my tank Id like to place it with a mushroom and P. Grandis on the same rock. Either of those can be moved. I figure the Grandis can hold their own and the mushroom will be 4-5" away from where the torch will be placed. Do they really sting stuff to death on a regular basis?

You can see my rocks cape in the photo below. its not exactly like this anymore but its very close. Ive got a bunch of dry rock in the garage I can cure if I need to, in order to get it a new place to sit as well.

Attachments

• 352434DD-7F04-497F-A73A-1845E23B55FF.mov
    26.2 MB

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “sweep” radius of Euphilia is dependent on flow:
VERY low and they expand, medium flow and they retract noticeably ...
Too high can rip them off the flesh ...
basically, it depends

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “sweep” radius of Euphilia is dependent on flow:
VERY low and they expand, medium flow and they retract noticeably ...
Too high can rip them off the flesh ...
basically, it depends
Yeah my hammer coral is the same way. I just didn't know if a torch has "sweepers" that are way longer than the regular tentacles or if its like my hammer. Honestly though my hammer doesn't sting anything. It touches tons of my zoa with no issues.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah honestly I have never seen my hammers misbehaving either.
Anyway, I might have put that differently and said torches definitely retract in high flow ... or conversely you can see the “happiness” in lower flows ... although maybe not as noticeably as hammers..
just one sample..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back