devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 2 weeks, I have noticed an issue with several of my torch corals. The tentacles near the mouths appear to be shrinking and curling inwards (toward the mouth). I have attached several images with this issue. This issue happened to me once before, and the only issue with my tank at that time was nitrates and phosphates being 0.00 (ATI test results) and increasing those resolved the problem. Currently neither nutrient is seriously deficient, with my nitrates sitting at ~20ppm, and phosphates at 0.01 but I have been slowly trying to increase the phosphates. Otherwise, my tanks parameters are: Salinity :1.026, Ca: 400, Alk: 8.5, Mg: Waiting on new kit, I will update later. None of the torches are getting blasted with flow, they are in the middle of the tank (PAR unknown), and are feed AB+ often, and occasionally reef roids+ oyster feast. My stocking is currently 2 maroon clowns and a fire shrimp, none of which harass the corals.

So far, I have
Dipped the corals in a combination of iodine, chemiclean, and RedSea DipX
Did a 2-day full strength chemiclean treatment on the tank,
Checked nightly for parasites
Checked if anything was stinging

So far I have seen no improvements to any of the affected torches, and I have been unable to find any discussions on this specific issue. I am not sure what other options I have to try to improve their healthy. Would an ATI test be worth it again? Are there any known deficiencies that could cause this? Or diseases?

I hope I have provided enough information about my tank, but if any other information is needed, please let me know and I'll provide it.

Thank you all in advance for any help!

20220719_200418.jpg 20220719_200352.jpg 20220719_200334.jpg 20220719_200328.jpg 20220719_200227.jpg 20220719_200422.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Usually shrinking is an indicator of stressed caused by any of the following:
High temperatures
High salinity
Lights too bright
Inadequate water flow
Lack of feeding (feed mysis)
Low calcium

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 2 weeks, I have noticed an issue with several of my torch corals. The tentacles near the mouths appear to be shrinking and curling inwards (toward the mouth). I have attached several images with this issue. This issue happened to me once before, and the only issue with my tank at that time was nitrates and phosphates being 0.00 (ATI test results) and increasing those resolved the problem. Currently neither nutrient is seriously deficient, with my nitrates sitting at ~20ppm, and phosphates at 0.01 but I have been slowly trying to increase the phosphates. Otherwise, my tanks parameters are: Salinity :1.026, Ca: 400, Alk: 8.5, Mg: Waiting on new kit, I will update later. None of the torches are getting blasted with flow, they are in the middle of the tank (PAR unknown), and are feed AB+ often, and occasionally reef roids+ oyster feast. My stocking is currently 2 maroon clowns and a fire shrimp, none of which harass the corals.

So far, I have

So far I have seen no improvements to any of the affected torches, and I have been unable to find any discussions on this specific issue. I am not sure what other options I have to try to improve their healthy. Would an ATI test be worth it again? Are there any known deficiencies that could cause this? Or diseases?

I hope I have provided enough information about my tank, but if any other information is needed, please let me know and I'll provide it.

20220719_200418.jpg 20220719_200352.jpg 20220719_200334.jpg 20220719_200328.jpg 20220719_200227.jpg 20220719_200422.jpg
In this case it's a sign that it appears all your torch corals are having the same issue all at the same time. From my experience with pretty much any disease mostly things don't all happen at once due to a disease or even pests at once. Typically the "weak" ones go first, etc. Most of the time some are even spared though at the outset you'd never have guessed which.

That said, to me this is a challenge with the water chemistry. What I look for here is that you have a decent ionic balance as the numbers or ranges you have been told to keep only work if they are all in range respective to one another. This brings me to the nitrate|Phosphate relationship, the Phosphate is actually not so bad but the nitrates are in the range where you have some potential negative effects. It is not always the case but I've personally seen it go poorly. Again, ionic balance plays a part here so 20 PPM Nitrate isn't always bad. The big challenge though is they are so far apart. The Nitrate|Phosphate take out is 16|1 so something isn't operating as it should.

So my suggestion:
- Don't chase the number on Phosphate, it's actually relatively high already and likely you have a relatively heavy phosphate sink in your live rock anyway.
- Focus on lowering the nitrate. Chaeto in a refugium can help, somewhat lower feeding but perhaps you're doing these things. Carbon dosing with biopellets and a reactor is a very good long term simple solution. Usually takes 4 weeks for it to really make progress.
- Do some 2-3 days consecutive water changes at 10%. This is not for lowering Nitrates, likely it'll do next to nothing for 20 PPM. It is focused to bring the chemistry back into alignment.

Piyras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far, I have

I have exactly the same issue my phos are at 0.01 aswell! As I am researching I believe its the phosphate which needs to be lil high .05 to .08.

My torches were all puffed up when my phos was in that range.
Now it sits at 0.01 and seeing the same reaction from them.
Our parameters are exactly the same I just have nitrates around 7.
As I am increasing my phos From 0.01 I will keep u posted. But its def low phosphate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back