Torches and Frogspawn Compatibility

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I would like to add a torch to my tank to add some movement and I plan to put in on a rock thats on top (not directly above) of my frogspawn but not directly next to it. Its sorta close. I always hear different answers on whether or not they can be in close proximity and I would like to hear some opinions and any experiences people have had with the two. It would be a shame if I had gotten it and one of the two dies.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I would like to add a torch to my tank to add some movement and I plan to put in on a rock thats on top (not directly above) of my frogspawn but not directly next to it. Its sorta close. I always hear different answers on whether or not they can be in close proximity and I would like to hear some opinions and any experiences people have had with the two. It would be a shame if I had gotten it and one of the two dies.
A torch will kill a frogspawn. So give them some distance.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia are in the same family and yes can be placed together. I have seen it. They do sting eachother but they have a somewhat resistance, be warned though if one of the corals is stressed, the coral next to it won't help you.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a torch that killed my hammer. You can see the hammer turning white. Be forewarned, yes a torch will kill a hammer and frogspawn. I believe hammers and frogspawn are compatible however.
5F619866-41F6-4BCC-A44C-DD33DE26B6FC.jpeg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a torch that killed my hammer. You can see the hammer turning white. Be forewarned, yes a torch will kill a hammer and frogspawn. I believe hammers and frogspawn are compatible however.
No wars or anything, that looks like the hammer's natural colour and he might have been a little stressed. With all do respect, I think there at those 'sometimes occurances.'

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that hammer btw? It looks really nice

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has had all three of them packed right up against each other, others can't do that so...... I guess you take your chances.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Long term, torches are evil which is why LFS can get away with it for a week or so while they’re in the store. Hammers can hold hands and not care, octospawn and frogspawn can occasionally touch each other and hammers without issue but don’t have them like inside each other like you can do with hammers. Here’s my euphyllia garden for reference.
488F904A-9B58-4C44-ABCE-6F6758C11AE1.jpeg

see how the hammers are able to be basically right inside of each other? I call this ‘ holding hands’ but the octospawn is separated because it’s not a hammer. It gets brushed occasionally but it’s happy they are compatible, just not to the degree that hammers are.
38B3F9FE-5E85-4B21-90FC-7750565F7CC7.jpeg
Here’s a couple of my torches, notice how they are far from each other and how the hulk torch killed the small green slimer frag. They are also separate from my other euphyllia, this is because they’re beautiful but evil. Torches don’t do very well with any other corals touching them all the time. It’s best to keep them separated

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn and hammers will get along just fine with themselves and each other. Neither will do well with a torch. Torches can do ok with each other as long as they are from the same origin. Shouldn’t put an indo and Australian torch together.
F6BBA66C-754C-4E4D-94FC-FD09BD510D3B.jpeg

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had frogspawn attack hammers and vise versa. I always tell people to not mix them just to stay on the safe side. Torch's always by themselves.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful pink tipped torch that I got rid of because it was constantly harassing my frogspawn. For me, never again. Just not worth it.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the name of this torch? Thinking about buying it but I wanna see more pics of it online.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 11.20.11 PM.png

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia are in the same family and yes can be placed together. I have seen it. They do sting eachother but they have a somewhat resistance, be warned though if one of the corals is stressed, the coral next to it won't help you.

I've found that hammers, frogspawns, cristatas, and other Euphyllias can be kept together in a garden, generally.
But with torches, there is a high probability that they will attack the other Euphyllia species, and even each other at times.

Also, naming random Euphyllia frags is just silly. The vendors just make up names as they go, it's all about sales.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that hammers, frogspawns, cristatas, and other Euphyllias can be kept together in a garden, generally.
But with torches, there is a high probability that they will attack the other Euphyllia species, and even each other at times.

Also, naming random Euphyllia frags is just silly. The vendors just make up names as they go, it's all about sales.

well i found it out, its called ultra green

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back