Treating GHA with Fluc

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t have any luck with fluconazole killing gha. Tried it twice. It did kill the few patches of bryopsis I had. I wound up getting a few banded trochus snails, a lawnmower blenny and changing gfo weekly for a while and now all are fat and happy and no visible algae. And I cut back on gfo usage to once a month after the algae disappeared

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread. Fluco was very helpful for me dealing with Bryopsis. I hope it works for you dealing with GHA.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 15:

Oh I think things are almost done!!! This is so exciting for me. For the most part, I haven't needed to pull any of the algae off manually; it's just being eaten by the cuc.
20180108_112151.jpg

20180108_112151.jpg
20180108_112200.jpg
20180108_112210.jpg

As others pointed out, the shaded areas are the last to go. I need to do a water change (nitrates are a bit high currently) so that's my plan for the afternoon. Should I immediately redose the fluc after the change, or should I put my carbon and everything back in for a few days, remove them, and then redose?

Also! My clownfish that had disappeared has returned. She pulled a Finding Nemo and somehow ended up in one of the back filtration chambers.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there is rock under that algae!! Exciting. The flu will kill gha for up to a month. Once the die off has stopped I agree do a h2o change, run carbon and gfo if you do. If you still have live gha you can retreat. Took me 3 treatments to get every bit of it dead dead dead. Of course at any time your tank looks like something is stressed that is a good time to do a h2o change or two and give it a break. Remember carbon will remove the meds, gfo will not.

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank doing after all of this? I have been having a fight with GHA now for a long time and I am thinking about ordering some of this to treat my tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy I read this post I have had bryopsis for about a year I sort of could keep it down by pulling it, well I decided to try Fluconazole. I am very leery about putting anything in my tank. I have a 55 with a trigger 39 sump I think maybe about 70 gallons of water total. I used 4 pills I know I under dosed and the next day I dosed 1 more pill. In 4 day it is pretty much all gone, now I have puled some and it did getg a different texture after dosing. Very Happy will see what happens after the weekend

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank doing after all of this? I have been having a fight with GHA now for a long time and I am thinking about ordering some of this to treat my tank.
Completely gone from my tank! I highly recommend giving it a try if you're having GHA issues.

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it begins to photosyn , it sucks up the meds better.

IMO , don’t change anything. Just follow the treatment , more changes = less stability. So one thing at a time.
Wow didnt know about the light, did a treatment a while back and had the light off and it didnt work, but now im battleing it again. Just a question i got my phosphtas down all the way to 0 is the algae still gonna suck even though the water doesnt have phosphats?

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 was infested with gha. It did take about 2 weeks to see it really start to die off. The gha in shaded areas was least affected by the treatment. If you read the entire massive fluconazole thread you will see that it is best killed off when well lit. The second time I treated as not all was killed off the first time I added extra lights pointing everywhere. No doubt light is part of the treatment.
No carbon
Lots of light
Figure a month before a water change if your tank will go that long w/o one.
Then see where you are at. If you will have to treat again do water changes, run carbon and get tank in tip top shape to do another treatment.
Watching gha algae die is one of the greatest parts of life!!!
Wow this light tip is a big one for me inhad no idea. Where can i find this massive fluconizol thread and fine all the requirements to make it work effectively???

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 84 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back