Treating GHA with Fluc

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Kenzie Jeanine, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Justin Swinney

Justin Swinney Active Member

I didn’t have any luck with fluconazole killing gha. Tried it twice. It did kill the few patches of bryopsis I had. I wound up getting a few banded trochus snails, a lawnmower blenny and changing gfo weekly for a while and now all are fat and happy and no visible algae. And I cut back on gfo usage to once a month after the algae disappeared

2. Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion Active Member

Great news!! Your plan of attack sounds very good. Keep up the good work! Oh, and the lighting too. :)

3. Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine Member

Thank you! Things are really looking infinitely better than before I started the treatment.

4. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Active Member

Following this thread. Fluco was very helpful for me dealing with Bryopsis. I hope it works for you dealing with GHA.

Kenzie Jeanine likes this.
  5. Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine Member

So far it has been doing a really great job and I'm very hopeful that it'll wipe the algae out!

rockstarta78 likes this.
  6. Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine Member

Day 15:

Oh I think things are almost done!!! This is so exciting for me. For the most part, I haven't needed to pull any of the algae off manually; it's just being eaten by the cuc.
    20180108_112151.jpg
    20180108_112151.jpg 20180108_112200.jpg 20180108_112210.jpg
    As others pointed out, the shaded areas are the last to go. I need to do a water change (nitrates are a bit high currently) so that's my plan for the afternoon. Should I immediately redose the fluc after the change, or should I put my carbon and everything back in for a few days, remove them, and then redose?

Also! My clownfish that had disappeared has returned. She pulled a Finding Nemo and somehow ended up in one of the back filtration chambers.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  7. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Id do the wc and retreat.

So glad you found your fish!

8. Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine Member

Thank you! And I'm really relieved as well about Dina. Even though she bites me all the time, she's still very pretty and I'd prefer my crabs didn't have a $60 dinner haha

WeaveAway and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  9. Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion Active Member

Hey there is rock under that algae!! Exciting. The flu will kill gha for up to a month. Once the die off has stopped I agree do a h2o change, run carbon and gfo if you do. If you still have live gha you can retreat. Took me 3 treatments to get every bit of it dead dead dead. Of course at any time your tank looks like something is stressed that is a good time to do a h2o change or two and give it a break. Remember carbon will remove the meds, gfo will not.

10. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

What a great outcome! Now you can really enjoy your tank.

11. Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine Member

Still have a bit to go before I'm completely happy, but I can actually look at my tank now without feeling sad and stressed!

Idoc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted