Treating GHA with Fluc

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it begins to photosyn , it sucks up the meds better.

IMO , don’t change anything. Just follow the treatment , more changes = less stability. So one thing at a time.
That makes a lot of sense from here.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad GHA problem too. I ordered the fluconzole to treat my tank but someone on R2R advised me to try to remedy the problem. I still have the unopened bottle...lol. Saving it just in case. I did the tooth brush scrub and hand pulling thing. I also used a turkey baster to keep detritus blown off everything. Added snails, hermits, emerald crab, and eventually a diamond goby to clean the sand. I was surprised that the goby ate some algae off the rock and back glass. I kept my light on a 10 hour schedule. I hope the fluconzole works for you. Don't give up no matter what.
Screenshot_20171227-202955.png
Screenshot_20171227-203008.png
Screenshot_20171227-203020.png
Screenshot_20171227-203057.png
Screenshot_20171227-203111.png
Screenshot_20171227-203127.png

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive it’s 21 days for most. I think the meds are mostly gone before that. But that’s the basic time frame.

The turbans and ninja are bit less bull dozer , I also buy the smallest turbos I can find.
They did train me on how to glue frags better. Lol.

The tail spot should do very well for you though.

Oh and ind go ahead and Todd the old chem media. It’s just gonna get funky.

A fwiw. There are a dozen algaes that get called GHA, so the time frame and effectiveness of the med will vary. One of my gha died after 14 , one never did.
But it wiped out my bryopsis in 7.
Thank you so much for all the advice! I really appreciate your kindness.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 was infested with gha. It did take about 2 weeks to see it really start to die off. The gha in shaded areas was least affected by the treatment. If you read the entire massive fluconazole thread you will see that it is best killed off when well lit. The second time I treated as not all was killed off the first time I added extra lights pointing everywhere. No doubt light is part of the treatment.
No carbon
Lots of light
Figure a month before a water change if your tank will go that long w/o one.
Then see where you are at. If you will have to treat again do water changes, run carbon and get tank in tip top shape to do another treatment.
Watching gha algae die is one of the greatest parts of life!!!
I'll try turning my lights up then! I read through the giant fluconazole thread once and went back to double check a few things, and I guess I forgot the bit about lighting. Thank you for the tips :)

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update:

I've changed my lighting cycle to preset 1 on the Orbit Marine Pro LED, which is 10 hrs full intensity, 15 min sunrise/sunset, and 4 hrs of moonlight. Does this sound better? I now know that the algae needs to photosynthesize for the treatment to work, but I didn't want to increase the light too much right away and hurt the corals.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good pkan. If you have any shaded areas put some light on them too. Can be from any light source like a lamp even. Let us know when the Devils spawn starts to lighten in color. Then it will start to fall apart.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are blessed to have this treatment availble. My life for 4 years was trying to kill it. Then the fluconazole treatment became availble around a year ago and the reefing community was blessed.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are blessed to have this treatment availble. My life for 4 years was trying to kill it. Then the fluconazole treatment became availble around a year ago and the reefing community was blessed.
You got that right ;Woot ;Woot

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto melted during the treatment but I’ve read that others didn’t have theirs melt.

I've seen the same thing. Most people say that nothing will happen, but there are some who've had theirs die off. Chaeto is always easy to get so it's not a huge deal IMO -- But it's something to take note of.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10:

Progress at long last! The algae is definitely turning a lighter, more brown color and feels completely different when I go to pull it off.

20180102_233154.jpg
20180102_233203.jpg
20180102_233214.jpg

This is the longest I've gone without a water change and I'm thinking that at the two week mark, I'll do one and add another dose of fluc.

On a sad note, something happened to my clown :( I can't find her anywhere, so I'm assuming the cuc did their job; I just don't know what killed her though.

To end on a happy note, here's Boris the tailspot blenny looking extra precious.
20180102_233239.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent news!

You may want to consider running the skimmer with no cup, or adding an air stone to the back of the tank. Just to keep o2 in the system

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up:

Clown has been found! She somehow ended up in the back filtration part that's built into my tank. I guess she was trying to be Nemo or something. Scooped her out and now she's fine and dandy.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent news!

You may want to consider running the skimmer with no cup, or adding an air stone to the back of the tank. Just to keep o2 in the system
I have a skimmer I got with the tank but have no clue how to use it/set it up.... Until I get that figured out, I'll see if I can find an airstone that could fit in the back.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back