Treating magnifica with ciprofloxacin

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this Ritteri anemone and got it in today. I let it adjust for a few hours too the new tank. It inflated a whole lot more and looks better but the mouth is still gaping, and it came in bleached. I just started cipro treatment after lights out and plan to continue it after every water change each evening before lights out. Any tips you guys can give me?
20220308_192109.jpg
20220308_214036_02.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow @OrionN guide in the nem and clownfish section of this forum and you should be good.

Biggest thing to watch for is cloudy water. If it even gets a little cloudy, do a water change. Other than than, super easy to do as long as you watch the tank like a hawk.

Also, wish you the best with the nem. Love me some mags lol.

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment is going extremely well! He hasn't deflated at all on day 4, witch is today. Other than when I moved him into a bucket to change water. Mouth is tight and puckered, tenticals are sticky any he is responsive to touch!
20220311_234735.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment is going extremely well! He hasn't deflated at all on day 4, witch is today. Other than when I moved him into a bucket to change water. Mouth is tight and puckered, tenticals are sticky any he is responsive to touch!
20220311_234735.jpg
Awesome. Glad to see it is responding well.

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here so far. Just keep it up and monitor daily. For extra peace-of-mind I would recommend a 50% WC with your DT water for a 2-3 days to make sure nothing in your tank is going to irritate it and to help with the acclimation. Keep us posted!
For the last 2 days of treatment I'll change half the water with My water, (whitch is the same salinity) and half with fresh salt water at the same salinity. He's doing quite well at the moment. He just has been expelling alot of brown bits I guess it's poop?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last 2 days of treatment I'll change half the water with My water, (whitch is the same salinity) and half with fresh salt water at the same salinity. He's doing quite well at the moment. He just has been expelling alot of brown bits I guess it's poop?
….there seems to be some debate on what the brown stuff really is. I tend to lean toward the material being zooxanthellae leaving due to a change in the environment, stress, too little light or too much light. Since anemones don’t have digestive systems like other organisms I don’t see how they can produce “poop” like other animals. The true waste from anemones I’ve seen is typically material they couldn’t or didn’t need to digest and usually the same color it went in but just a different consistency.

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
….there seems to be some debate on what the brown stuff really is. I tend to lean toward the material being zooxanthellae leaving due to a change in the environment, stress, too little light or too much light. Since anemones don’t have digestive systems like other organisms I don’t see how they can produce “poop” like other animals. The true waste from anemones I’ve seen is typically material they couldn’t or didn’t need to digest and usually the same color it went in but just a different consistency.
I see, I agree with you on that one. The anemone came in bleached witch is noticeable. I believe it is still expelling zooxanthellae because of the change in environment causing stress. However the anemone is looking pretty good today, he actually stuck to somthing today, and his tenticals were pretty sticky. He actually stuck to the glass so I had to remove him very carefully to move him into a bucket to preform a water change. I believe this stressed him out and caused his mouth to loosen a bit but it is now is tight and he looks good.

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I agree with you on that one. The anemone came in bleached witch is noticeable. I believe it is still expelling zooxanthellae because of the change in environment causing stress. However the anemone is looking pretty good today, he actually stuck to somthing today, and his tenticals were pretty sticky. He actually stuck to the glass so I had to remove him very carefully to move him into a bucket to preform a water change. I believe this stressed him out and caused his mouth to loosen a bit but it is now is tight and he looks good.
I can't get him to attach himself to the small rock on the qt, but I did put eggcrate on the bottem so I can move him during waterchanges so he won't attach to the glass again.

20220312_211541.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one question, I just put in my last dose of ciprofloxacin, and tomorrow I'm gonna move the anemone to my display tank. Is there any specific way to move him into the display? Do I have to worry about the antibiotic being in the water in the anemone when I move him?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should be good. The antibiotic break down pretty fast in light so you’ll be fine. Since your nem is pretty bleached I would feed periodically and also put him in a mid to low section of your tank until he colors back up. Just my 2 cents! Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you should be good. The antibiotic break down pretty fast in light so you’ll be fine. Since your nem is pretty bleached I would feed periodically and also put him in a mid to low section of your tank until he colors back up. Just my 2 cents! Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you!

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed, and how often do you feed your ritteri anemones

Last edited:

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them fresh uncooked shrimp cut in small pieces no bigger than their mouth. I also mash the pieces between my fingers to give the shrimp more surface area for the nem to digest. IMI I would feed yours once or twice a week for starters. If you have another nem you may want to try some zooxanthellae tranplants as described by OrionN on this forum. Worked well for me.

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them fresh uncooked shrimp cut in small pieces no bigger than their mouth. I also mash the pieces between my fingers to give the shrimp more surface area for the nem to digest. IMI I would feed yours once or twice a week for starters. If you have another nem you may want to try some zooxanthellae tranplants as described by OrionN on this forum. Worked well for me.
I have now added them anemone to my tank, all is well. He attached in less than 5 minutes and now My clowns are in love with him

20220314_204852.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to give a big thanks to tankstop.com, and Eric for helping me get such a beautiful anemone so quickly

OP
OP
R

reefplant221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the anemone is very happy, even had some alkanity swings and lost 3 sps corals and the anemone wasn't even effected, magnificas are really hardy once you get the acclimated

Attachments

• 20220418_000142.jpg
    20220418_000142.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 44

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back