Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out from BRS That after you get one notification (and dont get a unit) you have to apply again.

Did you get notified ? I didn’t ,but every so often I just hit the notify me when instock button again

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. And I are on 3 to be emailed
I’m on the list with my local fish store and every online retailer that allows one to request to be on notification list. I’ve received no notifications to date. Still pretty turnt that BRS released before midnight of the release night. I am usually pretty good at placing an order fast, but I set my clock to get up at 2:50am Eastern and they had already sold out. I’m hoping to get one soon.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out from BRS That after you get one notification (and dont get a unit) you have to apply again.

That's been my experience with most 'notify me when in stock' alert systems at most websites, not just for reefing.

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence @NeptunePaul

Rather than setting a certain size (which could still be a redundancy) I don’t think it is currently possible, maybe a feature to add.

I use a container with a float sensor on the breakout box and a virtual outlet to shut off my skimmer when the skin mate container is full.

Possible to do that with or add the ability to the trident? Rather than setting a container size.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than setting a certain size (which could still be a redundancy) I don’t think it is currently possible, maybe a feature to add.

I use a container with a float sensor on the breakout box and a virtual outlet to shut off my skimmer when the skin mate container is full.

Possible to do that with or add the ability to the trident? Rather than setting a container size.
It already exists. You can choose the Drain option for the waste instead of choosing Container and size.

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It already exists. You can choose the Drain option for the waste instead of choosing Container and size.

But since it is still going into a container I would need a way to trigger a stop when the container is full. Drain option as I understand it assumes it has no limit.

I just figured having a way to trigger it with a sensor rather than an arbitrary container size might be useful.

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I forgot to include the second part of my thoughts- that you could use the Drain option and have the Trident waste go into the skim-mate container.

Yeah. That’s actually what I am doing. I just wanted to stop the trident from testing if the container gets full.

The float stops it about 90% full for the skimmer so I have some buffer room.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have signed up four times since the initial release. We will see...

Is that like pressing the elevator button hoping that will make it come faster?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there have been any subsequent shipments after the initial launch?

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with trident controlled 2 part dosing with the DOS, and set alk and calcium to be all day , with alk being adjusted to more during daylight hours, will the system make sure alk and calcium are offset to not dose at the same time or do you have to do that manually somehow?

Calcium, Alk and Magnesium can dose at the same time right next to each other. I have done it for the past 10+ years without issue. I think it is one of those hobby myths were someone said to dose separately because it sounded logical and the community has continued to support it. It is important to dose in a high flow area whether dosing one at a time or all at once. Even having a pump in sump can help to keep it from settling out and hardening

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium, Alk and Magnesium can dose at the same time right next to each other. I have done it for the past 10+ years without issue. I think it is one of those hobby myths were someone said to dose separately because it sounded logical and the community has continued to support it. It is important to dose in a high flow area whether dosing one at a time or all at once. Even having a pump in sump can help to keep it from settling out and hardening
It's not a myth - there's much truth to it. I personally have caused a precipitation whiteout in my tank way back when I was a newbie and didn't know about (or possibly ignored!) all the oft-repeated, drilled-into-our-heads admonitions against dosing alk and Ca at the same time. But, the way I see it, that goes back to a time when dosing pumps were expensive and not readily available; many dosed 2-part in daily, weekly, or even less frequent boluses... people were strongly advised to add one 2-part supplement, wait a while, then add the other with good reason. The outcome from dumping in a good quantity of alk and calcium at the same time is not pretty :eek:

But when using dosing pumps (for me, it was old Alitea peristaltic pumps originally, and later, the DŌS when it came out), there's a key difference from doing single larger manual doses - typically one is dosing very small amounts at a time, and those tiny doses get diluted almost instantly. For example, my current tank gets 33mL/day of alk supplement; that's dosed in minuscule 0.3mL doses every 13 minutes. I've yet to see any indications of precipitation happening when using my DŌS, even during those rare periods when I was dosing equal amounts of alk and Ca, and therefore the dosing of each was at the same times. As an additional measure, I do as you do - position the outputs of the pumps into an area of relatively high flow; it's a simple, common-sense thing to do. IME, there's no need to go to great lengths (as some insist on doing) to have complicated programming or create umpteen separate intervals in a DŌS schedule.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a myth - there's much truth to it. I personally have caused a precipitation whiteout in my tank way back when I was a newbie and didn't know about (or possibly ignored!) all the oft-repeated, drilled-into-our-heads admonitions against dosing alk and Ca at the same time. But, the way I see it, that goes back to a time when dosing pumps were expensive and not readily available; many dosed 2-part in daily, weekly, or even less frequent boluses... people were strongly advised to add one 2-part supplement, wait a while, then add the other with good reason. The outcome from dumping in a good quantity of alk and calcium at the same time is not pretty :eek:

But when using dosing pumps (for me, it was old Alitea peristaltic pumps originally, and later, the DŌS when it came out), there's a key difference from doing single larger manual doses - typically one is dosing very small amounts at a time, and those tiny doses get diluted almost instantly. For example, my current tank gets 33mL/day of alk supplement; that's dosed in minuscule 0.3mL doses every 13 minutes. I've yet to see any indications of precipitation happening when using my DŌS, even during those rare periods when I was dosing equal amounts of alk and Ca, and therefore the dosing of each was at the same times. As an additional measure, I do as you do - position the outputs of the pumps into an area of relatively high flow; it's a simple, common-sense thing to do. IME, there's no need to go to great lengths (as some insist on doing) to have complicated programming or create umpteen separate intervals in a DŌS schedule.
How long have you used the DOS on that 13 minute schedule and how has it held up? Thinking of adding a DOS myself.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Makes sense. I have always used the 1.1ml per minute pumps.
Dosing a significant amount fast whether just alk alone or alk and calcium together will cause precipitation. Maybe back in the day when pumps dosed super fast their was some merit to it but modern day dosing pumps should be fine to dose together. If folks have a concern they could dose each in separate sides of sump as long as alk is dosing in very high flow area.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you used the DOS on that 13 minute schedule and how has it held up? Thinking of adding a DOS myself.

Close to two years on one of mine, running a similar schedule.
Depending on the total amount per day, very small quantities dispensed every 10 to 20 minutes.
Calibration is still spot on, and I haven't replaced the heads yet.
(Although I should do so soon perhaps.)

Last edited:

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back