Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Now that trident has been out for a few months, I am curious if there is any more information about the annual maintenance. I'm particularly interested to know if all parts that could potentially be 'stained' by reagents get replaced - particularly the vials that are read for titration color. Thanks in advance.

Did they mention that in the MACNA meet up? I didn't hear about it but I do know they said a couple times now that you can send it in or do a self service.

I'm interested also.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are the 6 month reagent kits not available yet - they are sold out everywhere?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they mention that in the MACNA meet up? I didn't hear about it but I do know they said a couple times now that you can send it in or do a self service.

I'm interested also.

Dunno, I never leave the house so didn't go to MACNA …...

U

User1

View Badges
Dunno, I never leave the house so didn't go to MACNA …...

Lol, ok wise guy ;) I'm still trying to read bits and pieces so not sure if anything else has come out other than what they have said. Also to another post of yours I've not seen the 6 month packs in stock outside of Neptune's store one time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, a bit of persistence required then .....

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you say black line CAN or CANNOT be cut short?
Can NOT as in DO NOT CUT....EVER. the predetermined length of line is all the length you have. The machine is apparently configured to measure the amount of water that is displaced in that specific line length. Cutting it will alter your test results. Adding to it....will later your test results. Leaving it alone...you stand a better chance of getting an accurate test result

U

User1

View Badges
How long are you Trident owners waiting to calibrate? I read the instructions and it says 48 - 72 hours. I've actually let mine run for a week and thinking it may be time to calibrate it. It is showing that I'm consuming ALK but I notice it didn't pick up a water change when I did a 10 gallon yesterday. Maybe it wasn't enough to register or it changed as ALK much as I would have thought.

If it is calibrated from the factory what does the calibration at our home do? Is it for the height, placement, or distance?

And if I calibrate it what does that actually do? Does it compare my water to the calibration fluid?

Last question and I apologize because this may not FAQ. I've read that some use the calibration fluid (spare) to compare manual tests. How are you using the Hana for example? You fill one of the test tubes with tank wanter for reference or maybe ri/ro and then another one with their reagent? Then run the normal process without adding the packet?

The ALk consumption is probably low compared to most but my tank is only 18 months old give or take with a few test acros and a clam. I would have expected CAL to also be showing signs of consumption but it seems they are holding steady.

ALK started at 8.1 and it is now 7.8 for reference. CAL is 446 and MAG is 1408.
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 10.03.01 PM.png

Tradriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Can Apex TRIDENT to transmit data on the measurement results (parameter value) using the channel 0-10v ( for third-party equipment)?

Best regards
Nelly

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you Trident owners waiting to calibrate? I read the instructions and it says 48 - 72 hours. I've actually let mine run for a week and thinking it may be time to calibrate it. It is showing that I'm consuming ALK but I notice it didn't pick up a water change when I did a 10 gallon yesterday. Maybe it wasn't enough to register or it changed as ALK much as I would have thought.

If it is calibrated from the factory what does the calibration at our home do? Is it for the height, placement, or distance?

And if I calibrate it what does that actually do? Does it compare my water to the calibration fluid?

Last question and I apologize because this may not FAQ. I've read that some use the calibration fluid (spare) to compare manual tests. How are you using the Hana for example? You fill one of the test tubes with tank wanter for reference or maybe ri/ro and then another one with their reagent? Then run the normal process without adding the packet?

The ALk consumption is probably low compared to most but my tank is only 18 months old give or take with a few test acros and a clam. I would have expected CAL to also be showing signs of consumption but it seems they are holding steady.

ALK started at 8.1 and it is now 7.8 for reference. CAL is 446 and MAG is 1408.
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 10.03.01 PM.png

I just got my Trident today!! I am wondering the same thing my levels out through the roof!
+ Alk - 5.58
+ CA - 611
+ MG - 1857

this is only day one I bought a brand new everything lol starting fresh. Figured I would wait 2-3 days than calibrate will tag along see what people say

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question about calibration in case I’ve missed it.

-I’ve finally replaced all of my reagents after a month or so of testing. Is it a good idea to. Recalibrate after every reagent swap?

Or, in general, when is everyone recalibrating with the supplied solution ?

Sorry if it’s been asked before.

Thanks
Neptune says you should calibrate after every reagent change

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Trident today!! I am wondering the same thing my levels out through the roof!
+ Alk - 5.58
+ CA - 611
+ MG - 1857

this is only day one I bought a brand new everything lol starting fresh. Figured I would wait 2-3 days than calibrate will tag along see what people say
I have had consistant problems with the trident t being accurate as well having ca in the 800s. Neptune tech's are saying that it's possibly getting air bubbles I'm the line, however I'm not seeing how that can be. The intake lines submerged under 4 inches of water that isnt near flow and the reagents are full. I've calibrated to their solution it's off I've calibrated to my water after a few days...its off. Its had me panicking on more than one occasion and I find myself having to manual test just as much as before. I'm a big Neptune fan, and I live the theory but at this point I'm feeling like its money wasted.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had consistant problems with the trident t being accurate as well having ca in the 800s. Neptune tech's are saying that it's possibly getting air bubbles I'm the line, however I'm not seeing how that can be. The intake lines submerged under 4 inches of water that isnt near flow and the reagents are full. I've calibrated to their solution it's off I've calibrated to my water after a few days...its off. Its had me panicking on more than one occasion and I find myself having to manual test just as much as before. I'm a big Neptune fan, and I live the theory but at this point I'm feeling like its money wasted.

The CA/MAG tests are kind of wonky. I tend to just use the 5 day average for both. The ALK is on point though, which is the most important anyway

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The CA/MAG tests are kind of wonky. I tend to just use the 5 day average for both. The ALK is on point though, which is the most important anyway

Curious - when you say 'wonky' do you mean within the 'standard' range of reading for trident for those elements (i.e. Precision of +_ 15 ppm - meaning if you did 3 tests on 3 identical samples at one time (not more no less) or do you mean the calcium is 460 on test then 500 the next.

One problem with most of these companies - is that they dont explain what the variability from test to test should be (or maybe I have not see them). Either way - its expected that Ca/ ALK etc will vary from test to test. N ot trying to criticise - but what Is your definition of 'wonky'

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your system volume, 10 gallons wont change your alkalinity very much.
You can estimate your alkalinity after a water change with a simple calculation.

For example:
Total System Volume: 140 gallons (display and sump)
Alkalinity before water change: 8.0 dkH
Water Change Volume: 30 gallons (water still in system = 110 gallons)
New Water Alkalinity: 11.0 dkH

[ 110*(8.0) + 30*(11.0) ] / 140 = 8.64 resultant alkalinity.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I ordered the 6mo supply, which will probably last me 4, and have already calibrated with the first set.

Where from? Continues to be OOS everywhere I look and wasn’t even an option in the Neptune store. Getting tiresome.

U

User1

View Badges
Where from? Continues to be OOS everywhere I look and wasn’t even an option in the Neptune store. Getting tiresome.

Only place I've seen it in stock was Aquarium Depot which I believe is in Canada for $134. I've been looking around too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back