Seattle 75, Scratch that, 120 Gallon Build

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my initial welcome post to give an idea on where this started,

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...nally-gonna-build-a-reef.334128/#post-4157844

I am in the infant stages of planning my reef tank build and have some questions and am seeking opinions. I was originally thinking that I would make use of my unused SeaClear 40 gallon acrylic tank for my display but after talking to a few people, I want to up the display size to around 75 gallons (want a tank about 4 feet wide).

I wanted to get an all glass tank, but have realized there are few out there that are just the tanks, it seems like everyone insists you buy the stand with it. I really don’t want to pay a premium for a tank and stand and then throw away the stand. For the hell of it, I went into a petsmart near my house and they had a perfect size Marineland tank with stand, but was told that it was goint to be one of their black Friday deals. Without the deal it is $399, which is still way cheaper than some of the other ones I looked at that are reef specific style tanks and stands. (i.e - Red Sea 73 gallon, stand, and sump $1700 +)

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...5-gallon-aquarium-majesty-ensemble-22101.html

First off any opinions on using that tank? I am not a fan of the black bars on the corners and the top, but at the price point I can live with it. Especially if it ends up being closer to $300 on black Friday. Any other recommendations for tanks in the 75 gallon range? I intend on making my own cabinet so really trying to avoid the package deals.

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the design of a sump, not finished yet. Using the Trigger Ruby 30 as a design guide. Currently seeking opinions on the Acrylic Fab Q&A thread. I have a CNC I built in my garage so cutting the acrylic for this will be a breeze.

Sump 1.JPG

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest going a bit bigger if you are liking the 4 foot tank. As any tank between 75 and 120 that is 4 feet long will need the same lights to cover that spread. That way, you'll have more options for fish and more real estate for corals. While the lights will cost you the same if they were on a 75 or a 120. If you are building your own sump, have you thought of building your own tank as well? Or if you are wanting glass, I would suggest perusing craigslist. I live in the Seattle area as well and there are always people trying to get rid of barely used tanks. Last week there was a beautiful starfire 100 gal on there for like 300 bucks. Brand new. either way good luck!

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest going a bit bigger if you are liking the 4 foot tank. As any tank between 75 and 120 that is 4 feet long will need the same lights to cover that spread. That way, you'll have more options for fish and more real estate for corals. While the lights will cost you the same if they were on a 75 or a 120. If you are building your own sump, have you thought of building your own tank as well? Or if you are wanting glass, I would suggest perusing craigslist. I live in the Seattle area as well and there are always people trying to get rid of barely used tanks. Last week there was a beautiful starfire 100 gal on there for like 300 bucks. Brand new. either way good luck!

I think I found that tank on craigslist but he is asking $1000. I dont think I trust doing a tank on my own. The sump I have more confidence in building as there are more options to brace the sump walls with baffles and the top "lid" acrylic.

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after re-thinking the build, I am now looking to push the tank up to 90-120 gallons. Also, I spent money on upgrading my CNC machine and the tank will have to wait a little bit until I can save up some cash again. I decided that upgrading the CNC should be a priority especially if I decide to make the aquarium myself (assuming I cant find a used one I like).

Since I am waiting a little longer and still searching for a used tank at a reasonable price, I am working on the sump design. Here is the latest iteration, 39"x 15"wide x 16" tall, following the layout of the Trigger 39" sumps. Thoughts on the layout and if you were building one yourself, what features would like in a sump?

Sump 2.PNG

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I have found a 90 gallon acrylic as well as 120 gallon used glass tank. Now I just need to decide which I want to with....

While I decide on tank size, I have been working on an overflow box that I plan on cutting and fabricating this weekend. Can anyone recommend, or direct me to information what diameter the "out" plumbing should be for a tank up to 120 gallons? Two 1" diameter drain lines, two 1-1/2"...?

My proposed weir slots 0.225"x 0.625" with rounded edges (23 total slots). If the water were flowing to the top of the slots the cross sectional area is about 3.23 sq. inches (probably closer to 3 because of rounded edges). Two 1" drain lines has an area of about 1.57 square, 1-1/4 has 2.45 sq. inches. What are people using for 120 gallon tank drain lines, trying to make sure the out flow can handle the in flow of the weir.

Overflow2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I should maybe edit the title of this post as I picked up a used 65 gallon Starfire glass tank that I will start out with. Going to build my stand to accommodate a 120 gallon (48x24x24) for future upgrade, but the 65 will be a good starting point. It needs a little TLC but it puts me closer to getting started.

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to forget the 65 and go straight into the hobby with a 120 gallon tank. Used but in great shape, the built in mega flows have never been used, got it for close to 1/3 of retail price. Also been slowly acquiring the other items as well.
20180112_143821.jpg
20180112_155919.jpg

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right after starting this thread I decided to upgrade my CNC so the sump progress hasnt started yet. Now that the upgrades will be done in the next week or so, I can start cutting the acrylic for the sump. Also, with the tank in hand, I can put the stand together.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I decided to forget the 65 and go straight into the hobby with a 120 gallon tank. Used but in great shape, the built in mega flows have never been used, got it for close to 1/3 of retail price. Also been slowly acquiring the other items as well.

Good choice.

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the exact same tank a couple of weeks ago, used, and in great condition. How are you planning to do your plumbing?

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the exact same tank a couple of weeks ago, used, and in great condition. How are you planning to do your plumbing?

Not completely sure yet. Probably going to have the larger holes be the primary drain and use the smaller ones for an emergency overflow. Will likely put the returns up over the back side of the tank as the hood I am building will conceal that.

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some input for lights. I am NOT doing T5, and I am going the LED route, so no need to provide opinions on that. I want them to be APEX ready lights so I am somewhat limited to either Ecotech Radions or Kessils (it appears the newer Aqua Illumination HD lights are no longer APEX ready).

The tank is 48”x24”x24”. So I basically have 3, maybe 4 choices.
(2) Radion XR30 G4 Pros $1600+/-
(3) Radion XR15 G4 Pros $1200 +/-
(3) or (4) Kessils $1050-$1400 +/-

I am leaning toward (3) XR15’s, but the middle light will be obstructed by the tanks center support. My thoughts are that the side lights will help cover the obstruction of the middle light. It would be a similar issue with the Kessils if only getting 3 lights. Alternately, the middle light could be placed off-center.

I have also considered starting with (2) of the XR15’s, in theory it would cover the 48”, and either add a XR30 later on or (2) 15’s later. (The two XR15’s are essentially the same as one XR30)

Thoughts and opinions? Other lights that are good and Apex ready?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm a Radion fan and my first pick would have been the 2 XR30 gen 4's, but I see more and more people saving a few bucks by going with XR15's.
I would not try and cover the area with 2 XR15's.

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Kessils, no need to tweak setting.

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI Water question/idea....

Looking at the RO/DI units, there is a lot of waste. From what I gather around 50% of the water isn't used/collected for use in the tanks. Has anyone ever tried collecting the "waste" water and using a pump to feed it back through the unit to reduce waste? If not, why not?

I have an unused March Food grade pump (similiar to this without the stainless head https://www.amazon.com/March-High-T...F8&qid=1518814330&sr=8-1&keywords=march+pumps)

Assuming I can get the right PSI pressure using the pump, why not try?

OP
OP
R

rbarr110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Radion fan and my first pick would have been the 2 XR30 gen 4's, but I see more and more people saving a few bucks by going with XR15's.
I would not try and cover the area with 2 XR15's.

I decided to go with Radions, but going with (4) XR15's. I decided I liked having the ability to spread them further apart or closer together. Same exact specs and cost as (2) XR30's. Only downside that I can think of is I need 4 outlets for it instead of 2. Currently only have (2) of the XR15's and picked up the WXM module as well. Still several weeks away before needing all 4.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I decided to go with Radions, but going with (4) XR15's. I decided I liked having the ability to spread them further apart or closer together. Same exact specs and cost as (2) XR30's. Only downside that I can think of is I need 4 outlets for it instead of 2. .
I would look into a dj strip, maybe a 4 outlet one, just for the lights. It would only need to handle 400 watts. Maybe even remote. ( back a ways from the tank? )
Then it could go to a single outlet on the master dj strip, or whatever you use.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back