Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way we can progam our auto water change dos to auto replace the 15mls or so of SW the trident uses to test. Like have it tied to match the trident. So if we’re ramp up testing frequency it auto adjusts to compensate. Also the vile inside does it ever have to be replaced?

I love this idea! While it isn’t much water, we might as well replace it with fresh saltwater if we have a DOS performing AWC.

Don

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For simplicity’s sake, I would just calculate saltwater volume lost through testing frequency and use a BRS 1.1 ml/min doser to replenish that same volume everyday.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For simplicity’s sake, I would just calculate saltwater volume lost through testing frequency and use a BRS 1.1 ml/min doser to replenish that same volume everyday.

Chris and Myself have remote water storage bins with DOS remotely installed. It would be difficult to install an extra doser and plumb to tank through attic. Thats likely why he asked that question.

Honestly it’s probably less water than the skimmer pulls out, but you cant fault us reef nerds for trying to tinker.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can any of you guys that have the device currently testing share any screenshots of the Apex interface showing it in action?

upload_2019-1-9_8-45-45.png

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch the livestream you will understand this graph better as I go into what was happening on my system in terms of my CaRx and taking part of my Triton elements offline while forgetting about the others.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch the livestream you will understand this graph better as I go into what was happening on my system in terms of my CaRx and taking part of my Triton elements offline while forgetting about the others.
Those graphs are awesome! Any idea on price so I can start saving? ;)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to see when they are available so I can decide if I want to compare with my Alkatronic. Like the interface.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris and Myself have remote water storage bins with DOS remotely installed. It would be difficult to install an extra doser and plumb to tank through attic. Thats likely why he asked that question.

Honestly it’s probably less water than the skimmer pulls out, but you cant fault us reef nerds for trying to tinker.
Wont matter much if we do the minimum testing but if we ramped up testing should start to add up especially for those with smaller systems

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious on estimated cost on the trident and also the reagent refills. On the video you stated the alk reagnet lasts a month, while the ca and mg last 2 months correct? Is that testing 4 times a day? I'd like to get on idea on continued cost to see if this is something I'd consider investing in or if my current Hanna/ salifert regiment will serve me better financial on a monthly basis

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reagent is $40 for 2 months supply of all 3 (alk 4 times per day, mag and calcium twice per day). Terence also mentioned last night about the option for a 6 month supply at a discounted price over 2 months, so it could be lower than that. Maybe they'll do 6 months for $99 or something.

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum testing rate, at this time, is 4 alk tests, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests per day. Two months supply at that rate is going to land somewhere around $40. That works out to about $0.06 per test. But if your goal is not to have a continual pulse on your tank, but simply to automate current infrequent manual testing, and you are using reagent cost as a key determinate — this is likely not the device for you.

One of the interesting things about factoring the ongoing costs in this hobby is that I believe we are hyper focused on the obvious costs and knowingly ignore the hidden ones — like electricity for instance. We often add devices to our aquarium, or run them 24 hours when they may only need to be run for 6 - and ignore the cost. For instance, as soon as my EB832 told me my UV and it’s pump were costing me nearly $20/mo, I decided that it was powerful enough that 12/hrs a day would be just fine.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum testing rate, at this time, is 4 alk tests, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests per day. Two months supply at that rate is going to land somewhere around $40. That works out to about $0.06 per test. But if your goal is not to have a continual pulse on your tank, but simply to automate current infrequent manual testing, and you are using reagent cost as a key determinate — this is likely not the device for you.

One of the interesting things about factoring the ongoing costs in this hobby is that I believe we are hyper focused on the obvious costs and knowingly ignore the hidden ones — like electricity for instance. We often add devices to our aquarium, or run them 24 hours when they may only need to be run for 6 - and ignore the cost. For instance, as soon as my EB832 told me my UV and it’s pump were costing me nearly $20/mo, I decided that it was powerful enough that 12/hrs a day would be just fine.
Same here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back