Triton Additives Concentration Values (mg/litre)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, does anyone know the mg/l concentration of the triton reagents?

take for example triton strontium. seachem strontium states 10,000 mg/l, on their bottle. what's the triton value?

does anyone have a complete (or partial) list for the triton reagents/additives? i can't find anything on triton's website.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished my 1st icp test, and about to drop us$500 on reagents.

not accustomed to spending with out knowing more details.

the concentration amounts are NOT detailed in triton's dropbox manuals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i calculated that the triton iodine reagent's concentration is only 5mg/l -- see pic.

whereas seachem's 'reef iodine' is labelled at 8,000 mg/l. common sense says my math is off by 1000.

can someone check my math? if the math is correct, the triton iodine reagent is a rip off. if it's off by 1000, then meh, only 3x the price of seachem (for example).

anyone good at maths? @ksfulk?

1516742260254-2047996214.jpg

Last edited:

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your math is correct. First a few questions. You say your system is 2411.31 L; this is 634 gallons. Is that correct?

Secondly. May I presume the 19.78 mL of Triton reagent will supply your entire tank with the correction of 0.041 mg/L?

If the above assumptions are correct the you are adding 0.041 mg/L x 2411.31L = 99 mg Iodine or 0.099 g.
This is the amount contained in 19.78 mL of the reagent so the concentration is 99 mg/19.78 mL = 5 mg/mL or 5 g/L.

I believe you are off by a factor of 1000.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefTeacher, great. Those assumptions on tank volume and corrective dosage are correct.

So the Triton Iodine addivtive's concentration is 5g/l. How about the others, guys?

I feel this is critical info - there's a recent thread by @Jimmy Lee (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/so-what-to-do-when-you-run-out-of-triton.353180/) - there's a shortage of triton product in at least some parts of the US. So Jimmy, if we figure out all the ingredients and concentrations of triton branded products, you won't have to totally bail out of triton and switch to another method... if there are substitutes available. BRS is out of triton magnesium as of yesterday - so maybe this is heresy, but we could buy another substitute until restocking.

I know several reefers in Socal that test with triton, but do not use their products. This seems impossible to me, as there are not readily available additives in our narrow field of interest for say... vanadium and others. But for more traditional addivtives (Mg, strontium, calcium and iodine), they are offered by other companies as well. As a side note, as of yesterday, alternative companies' traditional additives seem much cheaper than trition's, by quite a huge margin. For example, @ReefTeacher just corrected my math... and we know that triton iodine is 3x more expensive than seachem's.

So if you want to:

- know more details about triton products and know exactly what you're putting into your tank, OR
- double check triton's dosing instructions, OR
- save money by using substitutes (where possible), OR
- know what you can use as substitutes in case of the non-availablity of triton branded products,

it's in our collective interests to make a comprehensive chart of ingredients/concentrations of triton base/core7, as well as the additives, and alternatives available.

Last edited:

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about the other guys as I don't have information. But the 10,000mg/L of Strontium you quote above; while it looks impressive on paper, is a mere 10 g/L...twice the iodide concentration we calculated for Triton.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, let's do the math on strontium (yikes, lol), and find out triton's concentration

Screenshot_2018-01-25-18-30-41.png

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my personal triton "dose" instructions for strontium are to add a total of:

584.9ml of Triton reagent

to supply my entire tank (2411.31 l) with a correction of +1.49mg/l

so i am to add 1.49 mg/l x 2411.31 l = 3,592.85 mg strontium (~3.59 g)
this is the amount contained in 584.9 ml of the triton reagent so the concentration is 3,592.85 mg / 584.9 ml = 6.14 mg/ml (or 6.14g/l)

so looks like i repeated my math mistake again! @ReefTeacher

triton strontium has a concentration of ~6,140 mg/l.

Studio_20180125_183958.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triton strontium (6,140 mg/l) - $45 for 1 liter
seachem strontium (10,000 mg/l) - $19 for 1 liter

all i can say is...

wow, @Tim@Triton, reduce your pricing on additives

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Triton report says the dose will deliver 1.94 mg/L Sr. But you calculated as if it were 1.49. So with that correction the Triton solution comes out to 8 mg/L. But still...

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... but still... we should continue our research! @ReefTeacher, please take over the calcs, lol

after looking at iodine and strontium, triton additives are roughly 20 - 30% less concentrated (than seachem), and twice to triple the price (for traditionally available additives).

we haven't even looked at brightwell or aquaforest products yet... and there are certainly others.

p.s. don't get me wrong, i love triton... it's an awesome awesome tool

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Triton for my testing. I trust them there. But for all of my additives, I buy raw chemicals and make my own solutions. Ebay and Amazon have given me every reagent I have needed. Even cheaper than SeaChem!

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone... is it time for the "triton-reefteacher hybrid method"?

omg, companies must hate public forums

ok, what's the next periodic table element we are researching? someone else take a crack at it!

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm extremely interested in triton having less hocus pocus solutions and more clarity on what is actually in the bottle exactly. They are like a slightly less fuzzy zeovit!
Here's my two tests if anyone wants to use them for the math. I have 1,000 gallons in my system +-5% (including all back of house tanks/sumps/piping).
Most recent test
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/46183/
First test (i pull them up in separate tabs so i can easily compare)
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/46164/

I am dropping $200 in triton bottles every two months it seems in addition to the $50 a pop tests (closer to $300+ if i bought ALL the ones recommended). Would like something more reasonable if anyone figures it out. if @ReefTeacher wants to post some links to how he/she makes up chemicals /buys them that would be helpful also!
i'm sure one of you excel guru's could write a formula we could plop before/after concentrations and gallons which would nail down what concentration is in the bottles.

thanks all!

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, we'll try boron next.

(from pic in post 8), triton recommends i dose 241.2ml plus 223.1ml of triton boron.

repeating my dubious math in my revious posts...

i need a total of 464.3ml of triton boron reagent

to supply my entire tank (2411.31 l) with a correction of +5.00 mg/l

so i am to correct 5.00 mg/l x 2411.31 l (total system volume) = 12,056.55 mg boron (~12.06 g)
this is the amount contained in 464.3 ml of the triton reagent so the concentration is 12,056.55 mg / 464.3 ml = 25.97 mg/ml

repeating my metric 'factor of 1000 mistake', triton boron contains 26,000 mg/l. now...

brightwell's boron product (called borochrom) is 5,678 ppm.

according to an online caluclator (https://www.easycalculation.com/unit-conversion/ppm-mgl-conversion.php), 5,678 ppm = 5671.52 mg/l

so in this case,

brightwell's 500 ml boron product ($8) contains a total of 0.5 l x 5671.52 mg/l = 2,835.76 mg of boron, or 3.5 mg/penny

triton's 1000 ml boron product ($32) contains a total of 1 l x 26,000 mg/l = 26,000 mg of boron, or 8.125 mg/penny

triton's boron wins!?! @ReefTeacher!

(but it's outta stock at brs right now, lol)

Last edited:

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are correct on this one...but boric acid from the hardware store is cheaper still!!;Bookworm

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the formula that I came up with for my own use. I basically plug in my tank volume, the current tank concentration, desired tank concentration and the strength of the dosing solution:

formula.JPG

The variables are as follows:

TV = tank volume
TC = tank concentration
DV = dosage volume
DC = dosage concentration
C = desired concentration

You could plug in the information you know in order to get what the dosing solution concentration is. Using Sr as an example, the total dosing volume (Dv) would be 584.9 (482.4 ml + 102.5 ml). Tank volume (Tv) would be 2,411L if I'm reading your posts correctly. Tank concentration (Tc) would be 6.06 mg/L according to the Triton test. The desired concentration (C) would be 8.00 mg/L according to Triton's setpoints.

If my math (and formula) is correct, Triton's Sr solution appears to have a strength of 8,004 mg/L (edit: looks like this matches the result that @ReefTeacher got).

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also be mindful to factor in the purity of the chemical you are using if doing DIY and then comparing the cost to Triton. The higher the purity, the higher the cost. Not sure what % purity triton's additives are, though.

For example, 100lbs of analytical grade 99.9% sodium chloride in my country sells for $650. 99% purity pharmaceutical grade retails for only a fraction of that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back