Triton Results

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a reefer 525xl and it’s running great.

I dose:
ESV ALK, CAL, MAG
Redsea NOPOX
TFL Acropower & Sea Elements.

i bought a triton test just to get a baseline and was planning doing it ever three months or so.

That all said, my triton results look great except Iodine, Chromium, and Lithium

Iodine is .342ppm (342 ug/l)
Chromium is 0.0071ppm (7.083 ug/l)
Lithium is .403ppm (403 ug/l)

After searching over Reef2Reef, it doesn’t look like Chromium or Lithium are an issue but I still want to find the source. I use Blue Bucket salt and Carib sea liferock. Not blocks in the sump just a refug and cheato.

As for the iodine, I am more concerned as i read this can be a issue. I have never dosed iodine so again I’m trying to find the source. I am dosing sea elements but that is very recent and it’s only 1ml a day. Plus i was under the impression that sea elements doesn’t include iodine. I have called TLF and awaiting confirmation.

in the mean time, I stopped dosing sea elements and increased my auto water change from a 1 gal a day to 1.75 gal a day.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I have had reef tanks for over 20years but this is my first doing SPS and it’s going so well I don’t want to screw it up....

thanks in advance and if I put this post in the wrong section I apologize

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No responses...

Did I put this in the wrong forum?

Right forum. It's still been only 2 hours since the first post.

Li is commonly high with these ICP tests. I'm not sure about he Cr.
Iodine is usually depleted in our tanks, so there may be something in what you are dosing. Amino acids themselves don't contain Iodine. I don't see any reason to add the Acropower. I would suspect the Sea elements, but we'll wait and see what the company says.

I really wouldn't worry too much about suspicious findings in an ICP test. I also wouldn't dose anything besides the big 3, although others may disagree.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Iodine - it could be a false analyse because it seems a little bit od according to the information you give. I suppose you mean Red Sea blue bucket. Take contact with Triton and ask them to reanalyse the second sample

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding Nori or other seaweeds? They are high in iodine.

The lithium is no concern.

Chromium is present in natural seawater at roughly 0.3 µg/L. I do not know if it is an issue at 7 ug/L, but you might look around for any metal parts in the water.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with @Lasse as if you are not dosing Iodine, I have a hard time believing that you are anywhere near that high, and would be incline to call that a false positive.

The chromium I would not freak out about, but I think that level is reason for concern and I would be looking for a rusty/metal part. Perhaps a power head or pump.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also red sea has their own icp done on every batch of salt. You can go to their website and put in the batch number of your bucket and see their results. The batch number is on a sticker on the inside of the lid. I know this because I just had a issue with a bucket from them recently, and they told me this.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Iodine - it could be a false analyse because it seems a little bit od according to the information you give. I suppose you mean Red Sea blue bucket. Take contact with Triton and ask them to reanalyse the second sample

Sincerely Lasse
Oh I didn’t know having the second vial reanalyzed was an option. I will call them today

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding Nori or other seaweeds? They are high in iodine.

The lithium is no concern.

Chromium is present in natural seawater at roughly 0.3 µg/L. I do not know if it is an issue at 7 ug/L, but you might look around for any metal parts in the water.
So I checked my sump and there are no screws or anything metal laying around.

I do know that a small stainless screw fell into the tank that I have never been able to find. But by small, it was maybe 5mm long and i only used stainless steel hardware (years of being an ocean engineer. Also Stainless or monel. Granted I am sure that the the stainless steel screw wasn’t 304L or 316L and will rust). I can look for that again i remember where it fell in. Just FYI that was year ago in October. Part of thinks it might have rusted away by now and I would think other elements associated to the makeup of the screw would be elevated. And I have automatic water changes for 9 month now (gal a day)

I can’t imagine that is the source but again I hunt around for it tonight.

I stopped the sea elements until I hear back from TLF. And after reading the comments I might stop regardless and not dose this at all.

yes to red blue bucket salt

I do feed a 2x2 inch square of TLF seaweed for my tangs once a week.

are there any product that remove iodine?

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C5F70C48-8D3C-45DE-A53C-2CD766CDF41E.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Active carbon will take away excess iodine (and more) but I would wait for answer from Triton before using it. But get a bag of good active carbon and use it if you see any bad effects on your CUC and fishes.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try carbon. I have plenty of that. I just try to avoid.

so my wife remembers us finding the screw. (I don’t - LOL)

I am still going to search that area tonight. Part of thinks my pistol took to the deaths of his tunnels. He is a little bit of a klepto....

Randy

do you think over a year that such a small screw could cause the chromium spike.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there any product that remove iodine?

Algae removes it by takin it up, but there's nothing you can filter with. I wouldn't agonize over it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think over a year that such a small screw could cause the chromium spike.

It might. In 100 gallons (379 L) 7 ug/L is only 2.6 milligrams. A typical screw (1/2" #4 machine screw) might weigh 700 mg, so only a small portion needs to dissolve.

But that also may not be it at all.

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So TLF replied. Seaelements does contain iodine.

“Dear Kyle, Dear Jay,

Yes there is iodine in Sea Elements.

Following a similar inquiry earlier this year we did some testing and saw that at higher dosage rates the concentration of iodine in SeaElements could produce an elevated concentration in aquariums. We have as a result reduced the iodine concentration in our latest production runs to address the issue, though I would like to point out that we have been producing the original formula for SeaElements for more than 15 years without a single complaint.

Sincerely,

Julian”

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back