Triton What I Like

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P3270003_zpsv7cog9rd.jpg

1) no water changes
2) nothing is dying
3) most simple reef keeping method in 30 years
P3180006_zpsc6baolvg.jpg

4) no water changes
5) sps corals grow like crazy
6) all reef inhabitants thrive
PC310006_zps3a52f94f.jpg

7) no water changes
8) macro algae sump is a really cool place
9) only have to check the DKH
PC310007_zpsqcjtvrkc.jpg

10) did i mention no water changes

Gene

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read about it the more I like it. How do you find the cost comparison. Between keeping a tank with "normal" maintenance compared to Triton. What was that about water changes again?

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read about it the more I like it. How do you find the cost comparison. Between keeping a tank with "normal" maintenance compared to Triton. What was that about water changes again?

I'm not sure about the cost comparison. I put together a mostly SPS tank from frags and dosing 72 ml per solution per day. When the reef matures it will need larger dosing of the elementz.

I think the cost is a lot less using the complete Triton Method. It's the latest and greatest and very simple.

Did I forget to mention no more water changes?

popcorn.gif

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Gene.

The tank is maturing nicely! We are setting up a few show tanks in our Unique showroom and of course going with the full triton method on them. We will be posting pictures of the build. I also am about to start a thread on a 600 gal reef that will be a full triton setup. In my 25 years of maintaining marine aquaria both as a hobby and on the professional level, I don't think I have come across a more straightforward recipe for success with reef aquariums. There are so many ways to achieve the goals of a reef-keeper but this method draws a clear, straight line to the goal. Ill have pricing on the abyzz pumps tomorrow for you. Was a crazy week after the big sale we ran last weekend.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Gene.

The tank is maturing nicely! We are setting up a few show tanks in our Unique showroom and of course going with the full triton method on them. We will be posting pictures of the build. I also am about to start a thread on a 600 gal reef that will be a full triton setup. In my 25 years of maintaining marine aquaria both as a hobby and on the professional level, I don't think I have come across a more straightforward recipe for success with reef aquariums. There are so many ways to achieve the goals of a reef-keeper but this method draws a clear, straight line to the goal. Ill have pricing on the abyzz pumps tomorrow for you. Was a crazy week after the big sale we ran last weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the new show tank builds Joe!

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in here, I am seeing insane success compared to my past tanks.

Going on 3 months with Triton. Everything is thriving, fuge is growing well, frags are encrusting and sprouting, literally everything happy.

For a point of reference, I have purchased over 30 Acro frags in the last 3 months from vendors online. Every single frag has survived and is growing (with the exception of a dead-in-the-bag mariculture colony). The only other coral I have lost has been 2 Euphylia to brown jelly (a disease that likely came in with a different vendor's shipment). 10-20 different Zoa frags happy and multiplying like weeds.

I have wild colonies, maricultured stuff, aquacultured stuff, deepwaters, etc. All thriving. And pretty much all I do is check alk and adjust my doser (which has gone from 85ml to 140ml in the last 2 months by the way).

Time will tell, but so far this tank has been completely auto pilot (except a big cyano outbreak but that seems to happen to all new tanks).

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the cost comparison. I put together a mostly SPS tank from frags and dosing 72 ml per solution per day. When the reef matures it will need larger dosing of the elementz.

I think the cost is a lot less using the complete Triton Method. It's the latest and greatest and very simple.

Did I forget to mention no more water changes?

popcorn.gif

I ran calculations and it's probably about the same either way.
Assumption:
265 Gallon tank, 15% water changes month.
Salt cost alone is $290 per year (mid priced mix which costs 65$ for 175 gallons worth of salt).
Triton base elementz at 10mL per 100L per day cost $280 per year.

In addition, with water changes you have to pay for the cost of the water, RO/DI "resin", heating the replacement water to tank temperature, "normal testing methods cost" etc. With Triton you'll just be paying the $50 for the testing costs (maybe 3 to 4x per year).

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scooped out a bowl of water today to bond a couple of corals together.

When I looked at the water in the sunshine I noticed a lot of micro organisms in the water.

I realized if I was doing water changes a lot of the micro organisms in the water column would be removed.

It is just another benefit of using the Triton Reef keeping method.

Gene

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a cost comparison, roughly double the cost of balling lite.
Including the water changes etc

Could you share the cost comparison with us as I would love to see it? Thx

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't understand your comment?
I have done the maths, It's a fact not a case of not being fair or unfair.
The calculations where based on my old systems requirements and are good.

Triton has been in the UK for a few years now, I had my latest build set up for this method.
Whilst waiting for my build I started working out running costs, Kinda put me off tbh.
After 6 months or so I have decided to give the method a go, So I am NO HATER just dealing with FACTS.
The consumption of bicarb on my tank was 172ml daily balling, So when switching my starting dose for Triton is 200ml daily.

Not saying your being unfair, don't misunderstand :wink:

I find it odd that you went from 172 Balling to 200 under Triton, since I have been told that Triton Base is roughly 25% more concentrated then Balling. Not doubting your empirical experience, just seems to contradict what I was told.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mick, good to see you are trying the Triton system out. I'll be following to see how things are progressing for you. Any problems/issues at the moment? Any positives you have noticed?

Please report back every two weeks. Also, can you post a photo of your sump so I can see how you have the algae bed setup? Thanks mate. :)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sahin
Well today is the 4th Monday since starting.
Not all good news I'm afraid. Lost a ssc and a spath.
Mille and a deepwater look like they are suffering to.
Consumption has dropped due to stress i believe. I also had to turn channel 2 off for two days and channel 3 for 4 days to get back to base levels.
Nothing else seems to be stripping so fingers crossed what damage is done is all I will see.
I think I'll start a thread in this section for further updates in the future.

Sorry about the bad start mate. Hopefully rest of your experience with Triton goes well. Yeah definitely make a thread to share your experience. You're a well seasoned reefkeeper so I value your experiences. :)

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed some people experience issues when switching over to Triton from a different supplementation method. Not sure why this is other then maybe alk being a little bonkers until you get the dosing squared away. Maybe there is some trace element that is normally completed depleted in some tanks and when added it shocks corals?

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have monitored my levels continually due to not wanting issues.
Checked calibration but still elements 2&3 slowly increased so eventually I had no other choice than to turn those channels on the doser off.
Ca rose 30ppt and mg around the same. I let them drop and started to dose again.
I have now no longer got the equal ammounts of solutions there is a difference of 500ml

I was told by the Europeans, who've been using Triton for years, to stop chasing the numbers. Just monitor the DKH and salinity.
Since I took their advice there are no more head aches and all my frags have been doubling and tripling in size!
I guess if something looks wrong with the corals, then I will start looking more closely at the parameters.

Gene

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gene
I am one of those Europeans lol
You need to keep your eye on Params, I have only just started using Triton admittedly.
But if you don't and your Ca is 500 or over what will you do? (Either drop your dose,turn the channel off or a water change)
I found it the first 3 weeks Ca and Mg had risen above what they where started at, even though my dkh was 8
If your corals look wrong you usually find the damage is already done.
Very pleased you have had good results :) i am hoping to see the same .
I'm just not prepared to test and rely on my Dkh being correct and assume Ca and Mg are .

Very odd that your tank is consuming bicarbonate much faster then calc/mag. What kind of corals do you have? A refugium? Sorry if you detailed these things in a previous post.

I think Triton mentioned that the Base Elementz will be spot on for about 50-75% of tanks, but there will always be some that consume things at different rates.

I wonder if maybe your Alk is precipitating during dosage or something strange?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back